Adam's EM Workbench: Farewell for now

And a mystery component. Ideas?

attachicon.gifObject.gif

Adam

Speedo - cut off most of the bit you're holding, behind the curve bit, (the flexible cable).

Drill a hole in the footplate to take the spigot of the five-sided plate.

Solder or glue the spigot into the hole, having adjusted the curved cable so that the disc at its end lies directly over the axle of the rear driving wheel.

Simples !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

Hole in one John. Sadly not a steam prototype, but a Warship, D824 Highflyer.

post-256-0-41376700-1424535804.gif

I wonder whether the new Bachmann NBL Warship will have this? A bit of a fiddle but good fun to do. I think the wheels are ready for paint now.

Adam

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hole in one John. Sadly not a steam prototype, but a Warship, D824 Highflyer.

attachicon.gifHighflyer5.gif

I wonder whether the new Bachmann NBL Warship will have this? A bit of a fiddle but good fun to do. I think the wheels are ready for paint now.

Adam

Thought you'd moved into jewellery in my absence abroad Adam!!

Mike.

Following on from the last update, Highflyer has received a coat of paint around its nether regions and I've completed the glazing. More weathering, and some touching up and it will be ready for the road. In the meantime, while the civil engineer (the good Colonel, H.F. Stephens), wasn't looking, it had a quick spin on Clevedon WC&P last week. Thanks Andrew.

post-256-0-85165800-1425207891.gif

The pair of Coil R have had a small amount of work in the form of minute etched bits and little bits of wire. This really fiddly detail completed, it will be brakegear next.

post-256-0-77336700-1425208017.gif

post-256-0-41707400-1425208026.gif

Adam

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Following on from the last update, Highflyer has received a coat of paint around its nether regions and I've completed the glazing. More weathering, and some touching up and it will be ready for the road. In the meantime, while the civil engineer (the good Colonel, H.F. Stephens), wasn't looking, it had a quick spin on Clevedon WC&P last week. Thanks Andrew.

attachicon.gifHighflyer_on_Clevedon.gif

The pair of Coil R have had a small amount of work in the form of minute etched bits and little bits of wire. This really fiddly detail completed, it will be brakegear next.

attachicon.gifCoil_R_7.gif

attachicon.gifCoil_R_8.gif

Adam

Looks worryingly like you are going to use the Cambrian bogies Adam?

Mike.

For want of a better alternative, Mike, yes the Cambrian Davis and Lloyd type. With a bit of reshaping and some amended spring plank detail they'll do.

Do you know of anything better?

Adam

Edited by Adam

• RMweb Gold

For want of a better alternative, Mike, yes the Cambrian Davis and Lloyd type. With a bit of reshaping and some amended spring plank detail they'll do.

Do you know of anything better?

Adam

Agreed, but too much like hard work, and the axleboxes aren't equidistant, so they can only be fitted one way round to avoid fouling Justin's underframe.

I'm in the process of sending off for some 4B07 bogies from John Talbot, interestingly listed as Gloucester, to see what they are like.

You could always join me in badgering Colin Craig, I need 40 pairs at least, they are in his pending tray.

Mike.

Agreed, but too much like hard work, and the axleboxes aren't equidistant, so they can only be fitted one way round to avoid fouling Justin's underframe.

I'm in the process of sending off for some 4B07 bogies from John Talbot, interestingly listed as Gloucester, to see what they are like.

You could always join me in badgering Colin Craig, I need 40 pairs at least, they are in his pending tray.

Mike.

You mean that the bogie isn't symmetrical about the pivot? The bearings certainly appear equidistant from each other! The reshaping is fairly straightforward with a big enough file. I'll take a picture when I get home but the tops, as supplied, are rather flat so get tapered at the ends (the tops of the cutouts should be parallel to the tops of the bogies) and the outer corners a bit more rounded.

I do have a set of the AME bogies on order (along with a few other bits) so it will be interesting to see whether they really are Gloucester bogies and thus wrong for a Bobol E or just mis-described Davis and Lloyd types. I will find a use for them one way or another, but probably not on these wagons.

Adam

That's probably what I mean!, but they only fit one way round, at least on the ones I had to try.

Interestingly, Colin has been known to call them ESC bogies!

Be interested in your observations about the AME ones.

Mike.

I thought the Gloucester and ESC bogies that AME did were the types used on things like 100t tankers and Sheerness Scrap wagons?

According to his catalogue 4B07 are stated to be for Turbot/Bogie bolster E.

Mike.

Absolutely, but confusingly, they are also dubbed 'Gloucester'. The 5' 6" Gloucester bogie looks like this:

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bogies/h32572f7b#h32572f7b

The Davis and Lloyd/ESC 'Ride Control' looks like this (similar, but shallower in overall height):

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bogies/h24bdd201#h24bdd201

I haven't, knowingly, seen this particular AME casting so I'm unsure which one it represents: whatever, one part or another of the description is wrong!

Adam

Just for the record, a package from John Talbot/AME appeared in yesterday's post and I can confirm that the bogies are the Davis and Lloyd type suitable for Bobol Es and variations.

I haven't had a chance to take a picture but the castings are nice and clean if perhaps lacking some fine detail, they're plenty good enough to be employed in the next wagon I build that requires these bogies but since these coil Rs will operate as a pair they should match and that means making the Cambrian bogies work. Also in the package were some plate frame, roller bearing bogies and some buffers for ferry vehicles which you may take as an indication of future projects.

Anyhow, what you need to see is this: http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb106.htmlthe latest update from Kier Hardy, Pete Johnson and co. Canada Street looks utterly fabulous.

Adam

Just for reference, below is a picture of the Appleby Model Engineering (AME) 4B07 bogie we've discussed above which I reckon is quite a reasonable representation of a Davis and Lloyd/ESC 'ride control' freight bogie. 

post-256-0-72202000-1425415791.gif

Adam

A couple of satisfying evenings have resulted in full sets of brake rigging being added to the Coil Rs. Quite fiddly, to be honest, and the brake pull rods in particular benefited from pre-assembling the linkages but the end result is worth it. Levers and a bit of solebar detailing to go and then I can get back to the above solebar detail.

post-256-0-02242000-1425422208.gif

post-256-0-65900500-1425422222.gif

Adam

• Like 2

Soldering done on the Coil Rs, work turns to plastic fabrications and rivets, well, boltheads really, just a handful, Bobol Es were mostly welded with very few visible fixings.

post-256-0-61725100-1425840856.gif

While at it, the Chas Roberts mineral - smaller wagon with many more rivets - has made a leap forward. I've only done the one side, as yet, but before I get on with the other the fumes must subside. The rivet heads on the (brass) ironwork are tacked on using cyano' and the handwheels poking out of the top, I'm afraid, reflect two half-done projects. The mineral is one, of course, but, being incomplete, it's currently being used as a storage container...

post-256-0-94618200-1425840873.gif

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps the differences aren't wholly appreciable, but in construction terms, at least, it is finished. 

post-256-0-52921500-1426546743.gif

It may be warm enough for primer.

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 8

And now for something completely different, a new Cambrian kit for a Herring, a GW-designed, but mostly contractor-built small ballast hopper. I see that Jim Smith Wright has done one already and as his example shows, it builds up quite nicely. That won't stop me making a few amendments for the sake of finesse and durability, however.

The first set of modifications concern the main part of the hopper. I've trimmed off the moulding flash and the representation of the corner reinforcement from the sides only. These will be replaced with 5 thou' later. I also took the opportunity to fill the moulded holes for the grab rails and will reinstate them when the time comes.

post-256-0-26957500-1426717528.gif

The one-piece chassis moulding which takes the traditional "can I build this square?" question that Cambrian hopper kits have traditionally posed and with the hopper body on chassis future modifications are on the horizon. The offset vee-hangers at the ends for the vac' brake gear will be replaced in brass sheet and the other larger vees may yet follow: I've had to rebuild one already. The brake levers certainly will be replaced in brass. Were I intent of batch or rake building, an etch would definitely be called for but as a one off, I'm happy to fret something out. Because I rather like the upright vac' pipes some of these had, mine will too. A Paul Bartlett picture shows what I mean: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brherring/h193152ea#h176a8e8b 

post-256-0-74832100-1426717574.gif

For some useful prototype pictures and links to more, including those on Paul Bartlett's site, see here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94889-cambrian-kits-gwr-p22-herring-ballast-wagon/

Adam

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Look forward to seeing how this develops. I bought two of these at the weekend and reckon I'll have a few more yet since Cheddar was a stone loading point.

In which case Andrew, you'll be pleased to hear that the bits go together nicely.

post-256-0-69457800-1426891396.gif

A few minor details added. I've replaced the etched tiebars supplied with 0.8mm angle, for additional durability. The etched worksplates were spares from the Rumney chassis kits I've been building and the axleboxes came out of the packet though I have squared them up (they come off the sprue in a rather trapezoid form as an aid to extracting them from the mould no doubt).

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 5

Have fun with the end gussets Adam!

Mike.

They're far too thick: I'll be replacing them. But yes, I see what you mean - for the benefit of everyone else - the angle doesn't match that of the hopper, at least, not at one end...

Adam

Edited by Adam

At least you managed to find one to buy..................... :O

Not easy finding Cambrian stockists online (actually with stock) is it? Anyhow, while some solvent goes off on the 5 thou work on the Herring, the Chas Roberts mineral has made primer and another little project, a bargain Hornby shunter's truck in for a little detailing before the repaint it needs. Vac' pipes added and inner vees fretted out of sheet.

post-256-0-37566300-1426943561.gif

Need to find a replacement buffer head from somewhere...

post-256-0-82361300-1426943589.gif

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 3