Adam's EM Workbench: Farewell for now

1 hour ago, Adam said:

From this, to something a bit closer to completion..........................other than the masses of lettering...).

Adam, the Bedford looks excellent, you must have a steady hand and good eyesight. Tempted to ask if it took more than one attempt but wouldn't be that impolite!

Just a random thought, were milk churns individually numbered ?

Superb work.

Stu

• Thanks 1

Just now, lapford34102 said:

Adam, the Bedford looks excellent, you must have a steady hand and good eyesight. Tempted to ask if it took more than one attempt but wouldn't be that impolite!

Just a random thought, were milk churns individually numbered ?

Superb work.

Stu

Thanks Stu. Yes, multiple goes were required. And regular breaks. Even then it’s a job for really good light and a quiet house. The six month old is quite good at being quiet but on his own terms...

Not sure about the churn and numbering I guess that it’s possible but there’s nothing obvious in the images and film I’ve looked at. At 30 quids worth of castings I’m pretty certain this one won’t be fully loaded! 

Adam

• Agree 1

Guest Jack Benson

Adam,

Forgive my intrusion but I thought that you might enjoy a local trader from Pen Mill.

76FA0883-9203-451F-99E6-F54E5EC448EF.jpeg.8a1f67629104addb07fe155af99f8a20.jpeg

I cannot work out if the image was captured in Yeovil, maybe in the Borough opposite the bus stop?

Thanks for your continuing inspiration, I just bodge old Classix 50s vehicles.

Cheers and Stay Safe

40 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

Adam,

Forgive my intrusion but I thought that you might enjoy a local trader from Pen Mill.

76FA0883-9203-451F-99E6-F54E5EC448EF.jpeg.8a1f67629104addb07fe155af99f8a20.jpeg

I cannot work out if the image was captured in Yeovil, maybe in the Borough opposite the bus stop?

Thanks for your continuing inspiration, I just bodge old Classix 50s vehicles.

Cheers and Stay Safe

Hello there - I recall Darch's later lorries (still Fords, all dark blue - they're a bit more colourful now). I reckon that's the Triangle at what was the junction of Middle Street and Vicarage Street (the Quedam as now), some time in the '60s. There's an image here: http://www.yeovilhistory.info/vennel.htm which suggests that the shop behind matches  (and was Radio Rentals). The photographer is outside what was Poundstretcher (I can't remember whether it's still open - haven't been down that end of town for some time!).

Adam

Edited by Adam

Guest Jack Benson

Of course, just spotted where Jessop's old shop once stood, our son was married in Vicarage Street, Methodist Church just behind.

Cheers and Stay Safe

5 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

Of course, just spotted where Jessop's old shop once stood, our son was married in Vicarage Street, Methodist Church just behind.

Cheers and Stay Safe

Easy once you realise the topography and architecture couldn't be at the top of the hill. Here is is now:

https://goo.gl/maps/Dghs8L4TK7iq6BKQ7

You too.

Adam

Edited by Adam

23 hours ago, Adam said:

Thanks Stu. Yes, multiple goes were required. And regular breaks. Even then it’s a job for really good light and a quiet house. The six month old is quite good at being quiet but on his own terms...

Not sure about the churn and numbering I guess that it’s possible but there’s nothing obvious in the images and film I’ve looked at. At 30 quids worth of castings I’m pretty certain this one won’t be fully loaded! 

Adam

I'm sure someone (EFE or Base Toys?) used to do a lorry-load of churns as a one-piece moulding.

19 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

I'm sure someone (EFE or Base Toys?) used to do a lorry-load of churns as a one-piece moulding.

EFE - yes, I’ve seen those. The handles are a bit naff (though you get 18 rather than 10 for your money).

Adam

• 1 month later...

More churns have just arrived in the lunchtime post, but here's some actual modelling (and in the form of a couple of relatively quick projects - there are others dragging on, but more of these later). This pair of Lowfit, both with LNER-type fitted brakegear but different in construction. Obviously in model form they're both rendered in Kirkcaldy-tooled plastic. The more complete of the two, fully lettered and liveried is the BR-build, from the Red Panda kit but with a Parkside LNER chassis:

Lowfit_001.jpg.3fdf6f16a17c3f3e99147017f4bdac75.jpg

Hopefully, you'll be able to see the additional work on the brakegear (which I've been told isn't worth it, more than once...) and the slightly wobbly tare numbers. Oops.

Here's the other, an LNER, wooden-framed version, like this one: https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/45772458865/

Lowfit_002.jpg.4a84980cadf0fd4d81ee0d5227793f95.jpg

And from underneath - obviously there are levers and lashing loops still to add, but probably no Ford Anglia.

Lowfit_003.jpg.54b0f8ada30b6b0c803200c31413a437.jpg

Stay safe everyone.

Adam

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• Adam changed the title to Adam's EM Workbench: a brace of lowfits
2 hours ago, Adam said:

More churns have just arrived in the lunchtime post,

I'll get seated comfortably then...... :-)

Very nice  Lowfits, can I ask what screw couplings you used on them ?

And a  randomish question if I may as I've spent some lockdown time doing a few wagons and ransacking your thread for guidance. Found a couple of Hornby 5 planks I bought as it seemed a good idea - Ralls of Bridport - underframe obviously wrong but off hand would a Cambrian 17'6" steel be more accurate though I suppose they might be wood...

Cheers

Stu

2 minutes ago, lapford34102 said:

I'll get seated comfortably then...... :-)

Very nice  Lowfits, can I ask what screw couplings you used on them ?

And a  randomish question if I may as I've spent some lockdown time doing a few wagons and ransacking your thread for guidance. Found a couple of Hornby 5 planks I bought as it seemed a good idea - Ralls of Bridport - underframe obviously wrong but off hand would a Cambrian 17'6" steel be more accurate though I suppose they might be wood...

Cheers

Stu

Hi Stu - the screw couplings are Masokits: https://traders.scalefour.org/masokits/ which look reasonable and are indestructible. 

Having done a bit of googling, it seems that the bodies are fairly representative of LMS or BR all wood-bodied opens. There's a maker's picture of a real Ralls wagon in the replies here somewhere: 

The real thing seems to have been a Gloucester C&W wooden-framed thing 15' 6" over headstocks. So, yes, a Cambrian chassis would work with the body, but not with the livery.

Adam

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Adam said:

Hi Stu - the screw couplings are Masokits: https://traders.scalefour.org/masokits/ which look reasonable and are indestructible. 

Also, if I may interject, can be built long or short, which can come in handy depending on the wagon wheelbase.

Mike.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Also, if I may interject, can be built long or short, which can come in handy depending on the wagon wheelbase.

Mike.

True - though heathen that I am, I build them all long. The spare links, of whatever length, are incredibly useful for all manner of things - lifting eyes, fixings for things, tow loops...

Adam

• Like 1

Hi Adam,

Thanks for all that. Remembered you mentioned using Masokits but  looking at them wondered if you used Accurascale ones and modded them to get them the "right" way round.

RE the Ralls wagon, yes, I should have realised as there was recent thread on here about the GW finished version plus also should have got off my backside and had a trawl around myself. They have a certain sentimental value so will probably put better underframe on and live with the inaccuracies.

One lockdown benefit was a good chat with the gent at Lanarkshire Models who certainly improved my knowledge in that area.

Cheers

Stu

• Like 1

Hi Stu - I hadn't see the Accurascale couplings until now. I see what you men about the tommy bar which is a bit of a shame, but the stem on the hooks is so short I'd want to replace those anyway. Worth looking into for the price.

Adam