Spelling

ess1uk

Does Ebbsfleet International count? It serves Northfleet. At least there's no placename called Ebbsfleet on the OS map, and I'd never heard of Ebbsfleet when I grew up in that part of Kent.

I think they made up a new name because Northfleet didn't sound nice enough, and with the recession, all the new construction that would have been called Ebbsfleet hasn't happened. Although the local football team (Gravesend & Northfleet Football Club) changed their name to match the new. non-existent regeneration!

According to Wikipedia Eaglescliffe is allegedly a mis-spelling of the nearby village of Egglescliffe, and the community of Eaglescliffe later grew up around the station.

Then there's Newhey/New Hey, and I recall a debate many years ago about whether Tooting Bec had a full stop or not.

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure in my yoof there was a station called Lyghe Halt which is now called Leigh, in common with the village not far from Tonbridge that it serves.

Not a station mis-spelling, but the town of Cranleigh, on the Horsham - Guildford line closed in the mid-60s, had, shortly before the railway was built, had its spelling changed from Cranley to Cranleigh. The story is that the Post Office were getting fed up with confused mail between Cranley and not-far-away Crawley due to poor writing.

• RMweb Premium

It might not be a little harsh to suggest that the GWR were masters of this, frequently sighting stations in one location then saying that the station served somewhere else. A good example of this being Wrangaton station in South Devon. This was called Kingsbridge road (suggesting that it served Kingsbridge, yet the station was more than 11 miles from Kingsbridge.

apart from the Welsh to English, can anyone think of stations that are not spelt the same as the town they serve?

start you off with Whittlesea

The railway and brick company could agree on the name..post-4034-0-97141900-1305270884_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I think one that could reopen skirmishes of long ago is Scotch Dyke, the miscegenation of Scots Dyke, heading out of England on the Waverley line.

But maybe that's one for the Waverlophiles and pedants such as I :rolleyes:

Lyndhurst Road in the New Forest is similar, it changed it's name to Ashurst (New Forest) in 1997

and so I suppose is Paddock Wood, which started life as Maidstone Road. The little wrinkle with this is that there was no settlement there before the railway. The name changed in Victorian times as the village grew up - according to the Kentrail site it changed names as early as 1844 when the Maidstone Branch opened.

I was also going to offer Slades Green as an example, as the area as far as I know is actually Slade Green, but I can't confirm this. Also there is no Lee (on the Dartford loop via Sidcup); the place is Lee Green.

... Slades Green...

Older maps certainly show it as Slades Green with the extra S. (The location, not the station)

And don't let's get started on whether Kings/King's Cross and similar names should have an apostrophe or not. Mind you, I did once see a handwritten notice for Leed's.

Wells-next-the-Sea in Norfolk was called Wells-by-Sea by both the LNER and BR (BR later changed it).

Watlington, also in Norfolk, started life as Watlington before becoming Magdalen Road, the name I knew it by when I was growing up and that survived through the NSE era. It's now Watlington again.

Paul

Wells-next-the-Sea in Norfolk was called Wells-by-Sea by both the LNER and BR (BR later changed it).

Actually, to be a rivet counter again, it was Wells on Sea until BR finally got it right. ;)

• Like 1

Older maps certainly show it as Slades Green with the extra S. (The location, not the station)

thanks for this

And don't let's get started on whether Kings/King's Cross and similar names should have an apostrophe or not. Mind you, I did once see a handwritten notice for Leed's.

Completely OT but that reminds me of the big advert in Leeds station in the mid 80's from the Leeds Permanent Buildings Society. "British rail are getting there. We've been here since 1848."

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Harringay/Haringey.

Well, yes and no. Both Harringay and Harringay Park (Green Lanes) were correctly named as that is the name of the immediate area they serve. It's just that when the new Local Authority was set up in 1965, it was given the name Haringey - presumably to acknowledge that its 11 square miles covers 3 former boroughs.

• RMweb Premium

Well, yes and no. Both Harringay and Harringay Park (Green Lanes) were correctly named as that is the name of the immediate area they serve. It's just that when the new Local Authority was set up in 1965, it was given the name Haringey - presumably to acknowledge that its 11 square miles covers 3 former boroughs.

Harringay, Haringey and Hornsey are all variant spellings of the same name (Dictionary of British Place Names) and have been used variously over the years, not one is either correct or incorrect. Haringey is not a modern invention.

Keith