Spelling

ess1uk

• RMweb Premium

The original question  mentioned the differences between welsh and English, Well of course in the Highlands practically nothing is spelt as the locals would choose to spell it..

The Original Gaidhlig Spelling of Inverness being Inbhir Nis. (plus a few marks above the letters I can't cope with). Though now you have Gaelic spellings as well as English on station notices, even in the areas that have never spoken Gaidhlig.

Although Kyle of Lochalsh village is now accepted, The Station is in Kyle Akin, Kyle Akin being the body of water the Station pier is in, early proposals for the Station Name included Kyle Akin East or South, as there is a village of Kyle Akin on the Skye shore opposite.

Atholl station was originally called At Hole or (Athole) station  as that was the ancient spelling.

Other notes

Across the hill from Lithgir (Linlithgow) Is Bo'ness as everyone calls it and is often sign posted as, however it's full proper name is Borrowstouness

The Third Gillingham, the one In Norfolk has  a Hard G.

Wells next the sea was next the sea, but it upped and moved out, leaving just a minor trickle. So it's no longer a Major Port.

and an odd thing, 29 Squadron RAF  is spelt   XX   X

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, TheQ said:

and an odd thing, 29 Squadron RAF  is spelt   XX   X

Re 29 Squadron, I have heard it said that whoever designed the squadron crest was told it was x followed by x and then one x.

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Re 29 Squadron, I have heard it said that whoever designed the squadron crest was told it was x followed by x and then one x.

Cheers

Darius

I was told it was the painters doing the numbers on the aircraft, before they got round to a crest..