First Avenue

Rammy

Thanks for the tips and photos Andy. Please feel free to post your pics. They are all very helpful especially now I am dabbling with weathering too. Unfortunately I don't have a rolling road yet but will add it to the wish list!

Dave

Dave I've just had a look at Chadwood, lofts can be very inhospitable places, either to cold or to hot.

However the reason for this post, (and I am probably boring the pants off other Loft users that have seen me post before) is to say GET A FIRE EXTINGUISHER if you haven't already got one up there, I was up in a loft many years ago and the light above the hatch caught fire, I was at the far end with only one way out.

Just a friendly warning Dave.

Andy :sungum:

• 1 month later...

Inspired by acg_mr and his Bakewell layout (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64977-bakewell-peak-district-line-br-i-want-to-be-a-tree/?p=1382930) I have had a play today creating a tree from some cable. I had an off cut of 8 core cable and followed Al's directions to form a tree shape. As I don't have any DAS I decided to try using hot melt glue to cover the wire and hide the twists. I also ran some holt let down the outer sheathing of the wire to take off the smoothness. Once dry I have applied a grey primer ready for some browns later. So far I am really happy with my attempt, albeit not up to Al's standard yet. I will certainly have another go and try some more.

20140322_153003_zpsbziewzyr.jpg

20140322_153057_zpspo3iuvje.jpg

20140322_160529_zpsceyzfrvk.jpg

20140322_160543_zpsxz3wxk9q.jpg

Dave

Now painted, some lichen laid on top to try, and temporarily installed on the embankment.

20140323_144900_zps0rlvp3k8.jpg

20140323_155413_zpsyqo4balr.jpg

Really pleased with it, so I am off to make some more now!

Dave

Your first of anything is always great. Love the canopy. So many end up looking like candy floss on a stick .... I should know I have done that by mistake myself.

Looks good. Now you just need to make more...

• 8 months later...

Hi Dave, The 08 and containers look really good, Railmatch frame dirt is a nice colour but get some weathered Black and a light sandy colour for some of the under frame. I use Tamyia with Tamyia thinners and I also have a jar that I put the un-used stuff in and that makes yet another colour. Sometimes I put a little of two colours and NOT MIX properly so its like a marble effect and then it comes out different again.

I have spent a lot of time at Maritime, Eastleigh and Didcot when I lived down South.

Here's a couple from Maritime from 2005, first a dirty one, (sorry about the bad pic quality.)

attachicon.gif08000 Soston maratime at night 5.JPG

and a cleanish one.

attachicon.gif08077 SOTON.jpg

Here's an early 08 that I have just done.

attachicon.gifWeathering Dec 2013 024.JPG

You obviously have a flair for using the Air Brush so well done and I hope you don't mind me posting these pics on here for you.

All the best to you Dave.

Andy :sungum:

top work :)

Hi guys. Thanks for the comments. It's been a busy year here whilst we had an extension built. The good news is that part of this extension is a small study that is all mine and is just long enough to house the layout. It going to need some work to restore it after being out in the shed for the last 9 months untouched but I am looking forward to it.

• 2 months later...

Ok, so where did the first 3 months of this year go? I've still not had much time to spend on the layout as the last few jobs to finish off the extension seem to be taking me forever. Fortunately my son didn't mind the fact that his new room didn't have a door for 6 months! Anyway, First Avenue is now set up and settled into the new study (model room) and being cleaned up. Over the last few nights I have been building some modern billboards, purchased from Model Railway Scenery. This was my first purchase from them and must admit to being a bit sceptical having been a Scalescenes customer for years. However I have to say I was very impressed with the easy to follow instructions and good quality prints. Here are a few photos of them installed. Hopefully this will spur me on to more work on the layout, although I am a bit stuck with knowing what to do next.

Dave

20150323_215035_zpsrkhvza8h.jpg

20150323_214804_zpsp4ptcqei.jpg

20150323_214828_zpshoaqhd4f.jpg

Yesterday I decided to make a start on the parking area at the back of the layout. Up to now this was just smooth(ish) grey filler and just looked like the other concrete areas around my layout. Having seen the idea on another thread, but I must apologise for not remembering which one, I thought I would try some chinchilla dust to create a gravel look. At £4 for 3kg of dust, it is far cheaper than most modelling materials sold in small packets! I just applied PVA glue to the area I needed gravelling and then a generous covering of chinchilla dust. The excess can be hoovered off when dry.

20150403_143615_zpsvtylcoja.jpg

20150403_143637_zps2baia7iu.jpg

20150403_144503_zps7f3x7qwy.jpg

20150403_144519_zpsdmvnn0fq.jpg

Pleased with the result so far. It may need an airbrushing with some grey to tone it down a little.

Dave

Archived