First Avenue

Rammy

That's a very cool piece of kit.

Size of object good too. Would be too small for my idea of what I'd like 3d printed, I'm thinking of at some point starting an n gauge layout of ribblehead station and viaduct at scale. I'd love to 3d print ribblehead viaduct but at 8.5 foot approx in n that would be some 3d printer needed to do it.

Maybe you could print it in sections? Using sketchup you could add connectors to link the pieces together after printing. It would be a great project.

Beams glued and painted tonight, although I think the colour should be more red like red oxide rather than the brown that they end up. They look too much like wood to me. Need to find a suitable blue and green now. Would you normally use enamel or acrylic paint to coat plastic or can you use either?

20131119_003938_zps35df994b.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Maybe you could print it in sections? Using sketchup you could add connectors to link the pieces together after printing. It would be a great project.

sounds like a good idea i will have to do some research. thanks for the advice

• 1 month later...

Merry Xmas everybody. I hope Father Christmas brought you all lots of modelling goodies!

He was good to me and brought me a cheap starter airbrush set (the £50 Lidl one) and I spent some spare Xmas money to buy a £20 dual action airbrush off Amazon to give me a fighting chance of achieving something on a tight budget.

So today I finally got away for a couple of hours to myself to test it all out. Now please gear in mind I have never used an airbrush before or even attempted to weather anything, so this was going to be a real challenge. I grabbed a couple of old useless wagons out of loft to have a practice on. My plan was to try weathering the bogies and see how it went. I had previously bought some "frame dirt" acrylic paint from a exhibition in anticipation of this day arriving, so I mixed a small amount with some water and had a bash. Surprisingly it turned out very well, so I tested another. Another pleasing result, so filled with confidence I went back into the loft and brought down a set of Bachmann Intermodal container flats. Having sprayed the bogies and wheels I carried on and toned down the bright green tops - after all I can't find a photo anywhere on the web of a bright green one!

Anyway, here are a few snaps of progress (unfortunately taken on my phone after it had got dark)

20131229_171028_zps075a8ca6.jpg

20131229_171129_zps9262a649.jpg

20131229_221216_zpsaca56172.jpg

I will need to try adding some more tones/colours to blend it in a bit more but I am really pleased for my first attempt. I have some other colours in enamels but will need to get some thinners before I can use them.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I have been having a play with the airbrush and 3d printer this weekend, which has resulted in a little progress.

I had already painted the fuel shed using the airbrush, so this weekend I have weathered it. Firstly it was given a thin white coat to make the paint look like it had been bleached in the sun, followed by a general dirty weathering from the bottom up.

I had a play on Sketchup and drew up some hose reels for the fuel hoses. Certainly not perfect, but with some orange wire wrapped around, they looked ok to me.

Then it was off to the layout for a quick photoshoot.

This is the photo I have been using as a reference:

7313308e699c4ec94d030b1ca1a04d11_zpseeb0

And this is my version so far:

20140119_150420_zpsonstmfid.jpg

The next step will be to print a workbench and some containers to fill up the area around the fuel tanks.

Dave

I have been having a play with the airbrush and 3d printer this weekend, which has resulted in a little progress.

I had already painted the fuel shed using the airbrush, so this weekend I have weathered it. Firstly it was given a thin white coat to make the paint look like it had been bleached in the sun, followed by a general dirty weathering from the bottom up.

I had a play on Sketchup and drew up some hose reels for the fuel hoses. Certainly not perfect, but with some orange wire wrapped around, they looked ok to me.

Then it was off to the layout for a quick photoshoot.

This is the photo I have been using as a reference:

7313308e699c4ec94d030b1ca1a04d11_zpseeb0

And this is my version so far:

20140119_150420_zpsonstmfid.jpg

The next step will be to print a workbench and some containers to fill up the area around the fuel tanks.

Dave

Hi Dave

Now that's a different refuelling yard, different to what you see most i.e. the Bachman one, although good in itself, your is totally different which is what I like most.

The real photo to proof it exists and you have modelling it brilliantly, I have to say.

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more playing with the airbrush today. I know this should probably be in the weathering section but I really don't do enough to justify me starting another topic yet.

Anyway, first up were the containers that were looking far to clean to be realistic.

A weathered version on top of the original clean one:

20140202_124140_zpswpo72jrv.jpg

And very soon after I had four weathered :

20140202_134717_zpsfgmnnpln.jpg

I did go on to weather 3 others but didn't take photos of them. Then I decided to move on to my very shiny and unrealistic 08.

Before:

20140202_142839_zpsaapsttaz.jpg

After:

20140202_143529_zpsukj4bgwi.jpg

20140202_143547_zpsogyjncu4.jpg

I am quite enjoying this airbrush weathering lark! I still have 2 shiny class 66 locos to have a crack at when I am confident enough.

Dave

A bit more playing with the airbrush today. I know this should probably be in the weathering section but I really don't do enough to justify me starting another topic yet.

Anyway, first up were the containers that were looking far to clean to be realistic.

A weathered version on top of the original clean one:

20140202_124140_zpswpo72jrv.jpg

And very soon after I had four weathered :

20140202_134717_zpsfgmnnpln.jpg

I did go on to weather 3 others but didn't take photos of them. Then I decided to move on to my very shiny and unrealistic 08.

Before:

20140202_142839_zpsaapsttaz.jpg

After:

20140202_143529_zpsukj4bgwi.jpg

20140202_143547_zpsogyjncu4.jpg

I am quite enjoying this airbrush weathering lark! I still have 2 shiny class 66 locos to have a crack at when I am confident enough.

Dave

Hi Dave

great work here, so braking new grounds I have all the equipment but yet to have a crack at it, so you are going round after the wife as cleaned and made worktops clean and shiny and weathering it all, .... that's where I'm going wrong to practice.... ha-ha

What did you learn on as a first, was it just an old body shell before moving on to your own running stock, also how many layers or colours are you applying to make it like you want.

Your DHL  containers look really good.

Jamie

Jamie

In the background of the "before" pic of my 08 above, you can see 3 old wagons. These are very old wagons that I have had for years and have no use for on my modern layouts. I practiced on those first, but to be honest I have found the whole airbrush experience much easier than I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, I am far from an expert but so far I have been very pleased with my results so far. I am only using acrylic paints at the moment which are watered down approx 50% for the airbrush. At least with these if you make a mistake or have blobs splattering (like I did when doing the DHL containers earlier) you can just wipe it off with a damp sponge and start again. I have had a quick play with enamels and thinners but didn't get on with them and it was a nightmare cleaning the airbrush after. I may have another play at a later date, but I'm happy with acrylics for now.

As far as the colours I have used, so far everything has been just one colour. That is Railmatch Frame Dirt. I am sure I will need to add a few other colours later but I'm happy for now.

Hope this helps

Dave

Jamie

In the background of the "before" pic of my 08 above, you can see 3 old wagons. These are very old wagons that I have had for years and have no use for on my modern layouts. I practiced on those first, but to be honest I have found the whole airbrush experience much easier than I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, I am far from an expert but so far I have been very pleased with my results so far. I am only using acrylic paints at the moment which are watered down approx 50% for the airbrush. At least with these if you make a mistake or have blobs splattering (like I did when doing the DHL containers earlier) you can just wipe it off with a damp sponge and start again. I have had a quick play with enamels and thinners but didn't get on with them and it was a nightmare cleaning the airbrush after. I may have another play at a later date, but I'm happy with acrylics for now.

As far as the colours I have used, so far everything has been just one colour. That is Railmatch Frame Dirt. I am sure I will need to add a few other colours later but I'm happy for now.

Hope this helps

Dave

Thanks for that Dave, I will find some old wagon out....

Jamie

Hi Dave, The 08 and containers look really good, Railmatch frame dirt is a nice colour but get some weathered Black and a light sandy colour for some of the under frame. I use Tamyia with Tamyia thinners and I also have a jar that I put the un-used stuff in and that makes yet another colour. Sometimes I put a little of two colours and NOT MIX properly so its like a marble effect and then it comes out different again.

I have spent a lot of time at Maritime, Eastleigh and Didcot when I lived down South.

Here's a couple from Maritime from 2005, first a dirty one, (sorry about the bad pic quality.)

post-9335-0-95204100-1391419147_thumb.jpg

and a cleanish one.

post-9335-0-88271900-1391419152_thumb.jpg

Here's an early 08 that I have just done.

post-9335-0-57695600-1391419015_thumb.jpg

You obviously have a flair for using the Air Brush so well done and I hope you don't mind me posting these pics on here for you.

All the best to you Dave.

Andy :sungum:

Archived