First Avenue

Rammy

Hi Dave

Glad to hear you've got back into things again, and looks like some good progress - you just need to crack on before the weather turns out cold again - oh no it has already!

I think you should sign yourself up to exhibit it at an exhibiton to put a bit of pressure on... :O

Phil

After a few days away in London this week, I have managed to grab a few hours here and there over the weekend to make a little more progress. Today I had a little helper for a short while:

20130602_115644_zps675c7d14.jpg

My 8 year old daughter wanted to help and was happy to carry on with a little hand sanding the wet & dry paper. I have found the wet & dry very useful for the final sanding smooth of the "concrete" area whilst at the same time the black paper rubs off onto the white filler which weathers it quite nicely and unevenly.

We both then moved on to a little more ballasting that was still needed, followed by some additional sil and greenery on top of that.

All in all quite a productive few hours.

20130602_210514_zps21115819.jpg

Dave

Hi Dave

You're lucky to have the help, make the most of it. My girls are both teenagers and find my pastime absoulutely hysterical and fear that it will ruin their street-cred...lol

Oh well, only another few years and they'll return to being human beings again!

Keep up the great work

Cheers

Mark

Hello Rammy,

I have been following your thread and I am very impressed with how your layout is developing.

I live and work near the Felixstowe line so hear the Freightliners powering past every 5 minutes!

Would you have any advice for a shed layout? I have just built the baseboards intending to store them inside but they just take too much room and time to erect. I have cleared out my shed and would make an ideal place for a layout. You can see my thread link below.

Would really appreciate any advice on the whole extreme temperatures and moisture issue!

My daughter is only a year old so I have a couple of years before my helper matures.

Many Thanks

Maisie1

Hi Maisie1

I have just had a read through your thread and posted a reply on there. I like the size of your shed and your baseboards look very professional!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I have spent the last few days building up the empty area to the right hand side of the layout. I have decided to build a grass bank which will lead to a fence, behind which will be the back end of a container storage yard. This is a slight stray away from reality as the real area in Southampton is used for storing cars & vans, but I prefer the idea of containers just to add to the Freightliner feeling of the layout.

Tonight I went into the shed to take a few photos, but by the time I had taken my stock out and discovered the camera battery was flat, it had turned dark and I had lost the chance of pics with natural light. Anyway I couldn't resist and took a few with my phone, so apologies in advance for the quality. I will try again this weekend.

20130613_214037_zpsf9d287ef.jpg

20130613_214139_zpseea0aa36.jpg

20130613_214403_zps2edf7f5c.jpg

20130613_214526_zps6e7d27de.jpg

20130613_214707_zpse3eb7105.jpg

20130613_215529_zps26127844.jpg

20130613_214942_zpse79957d0.jpg

Thanks for your interest

Dave

Hi

That is superb, it makes you feel that you are actually looking at a real yard. The backdrop picture really gives depth and the track lay looks more realistic to my eye because it is not lined up like toy solders.

I also prefer track that is not all bob on straight and parallel, none of the pictures i take on the real thing ever are. The sheds and the fencing are spot on too.

Another fantastic layout to follow

Spent an hour or so today making improvements to the depot building. I have printed the 2 signs onto photo paper and stuck them on. I then fitted the 2 lights that I picked up at the Derby show and connected them to an old 12V power supply I kept from an old rechargeable torch. Really pleased with the results. I just need to get a couple of spot lights (one for each end) now.

f8555df4389a8486f616b5747a3ddf22_zpsf1d0

6f0370c311a37d3ba74c022849ab8be3_zps8a73

601f2adfa30f619ac09250313b9194fe_zps6494

Dave

Thanks for the comment guys, and a big thank you for the photos Peter. They all help, but especially when they are of the area I am currently modelling! I have been painting and laying the grass up that far bank on my layout today.

Looks like I need a cheap way to build all of those trees though! Any ideas anyone?

Dave

Peter

My ultimate goal will be to have fiddle yards at both ends to allow locos to travel straight through with containers and return empty the other way. Locos could come from either direction to enter the stabling sidings.

As I have never been to Southampton Maritime (or ever been a "train spotter") I have no idea at all if this is actually what happens and I will happily adapt plans if anyone can provide me some accurate data.

I guess at some point soon I am going to have to start thinking about what wagons I need. At the moment I only have a few sets of the Bachmann container sets, but again I am not really sure these are the right thing.

Any help (or photos) from you guys who have been would be much appreciated.

Dave

Archived