EM2 build.......Finished! (Then finished again)

Alex Duckworth

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comment re. height - I just checked the buffer height and the model is .6mm too low. I couldn't understand why until I found on the bench the two carefully cut pieces of silicon sheet missed on final assembly, which will be added later. Good point about the wheel sizes but sometimes compromises of the odd half mil. or two have to be made with chassis conversions of this type, hopefully to be balanced out elsewhere.

Alex.

Thanks for the comment re. height - I just checked the buffer height and the model is .6mm too low.
IMHO the model is too high, the buffers are too low, this because the buffer beams are deeper than they should be and the buffers too low on the beams.

But hey, you have done a fabulous paint job and the loco looks good so enjoy it.

Regards

Keith

• RMweb Premium

As I've got to take the loco apart to add my forgotten shims, I thought I might add a driver and secondman - does anyone know of any good 2mm figures? I'm quite happy to paint or repaint, good figure sculpting is important though.

As I've got to take the loco apart to add my forgotten shims, I thought I might add a driver and secondman - does anyone know of any good 2mm figures? I'm quite happy to paint or repaint, good figure sculpting is important though.

I recall Missy waxing lyrical about Monty's figures from Dart Castings, though their 2mm range is very small, and probably better suited to steam traction.

David

The loco looks excellent!

I'd look at Preiser figures - the seated figures and railway staff ones may provide a good basis for crews.

I recall Missy waxing lyrical about Monty's figures from Dart Castings, though their 2mm range is very small, and probably better suited to steam traction.

David

I have a couple of these figures. AFAIK, they only produce a driver and fireman, and they're definitely steam loco crew - the driver has his right arm in the air, and the fireman has his arms folded and is leaning backwards - neither are typical poses for a driver or secondman on an EM2! Both figures scale at about 6'6" to 7' tall, so a tad on the tall side for 2mm scale.

Superb looking loco btw!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks to everybody for their comments. Since completing the model I have become dissatisfied with the weathering, particularly on the roof, and following some advice from Alan I have stripped and weathered it again trying particularly to copy the subtle dirt drifting and rain streaked effects seen on the Woodhead locos.

post-3457-0-98145500-1312894657_thumb.jpg

I thought that I might also try the EM1.

post-3457-0-37550300-1312894774_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking (again).

Alex.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived