Base Board Help and ideas for a track plan?

ess1uk

:help: after some advice on the best way to build a base for a layout that is 1200mm by 1800mm (Hornby trackmat) so that i don't have to keep building and taking trainset up off the floor.  :help:

needs to be as light as possible so easy to pick up and move for cleaning/storage and quick deployment
no need for legs as it will sit on the floor again
thanks in advance for help

after the train set is sorted i will be trying a yard based layout using the skills gained from that. :)

Edited by ess1uk

If it is going to sit on the floor again, lightweight insulation board would probably be ideal. From memory it about 2" thick and you could add a thin frame around the outside to protect the edges.

This thread could be a reasonable starting point.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/34132-styrofoam

...and some more in this blog...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/568/entry-5183-matford-new/

• Thanks 1

as it's only really a play thing for my 6 year old until we get round to a real layout, the only thing that will be fixed is the track so there should not be too much damage to anything hopefully

loving the idea of the foam as i have zero woodwork skills

thanks for the help

• RMweb Premium

If you want to make something of that size easily movable I would put a couple of small wheels on one end so the one person can just roll it about rather than having to carry it.

• Thanks 1

Dad's layout used to just be on a piece of chipboard without any bracing

layout was a single loop, two inside sidings and a tunnel made out of a tissue box and paper mashe

survived for many years being stored on end and moved about by dad.

• Thanks 1

i would suggest buying a baseboard frame of ebay there is a seller that manufactures boards to all dimensions including one specifically for the Hornby track mat although i might suggest buying 2 3x4 baeboards and bolting securely together as this allows you should you wish in the future to have an 8x3 baseboard to expand from. link to seller is here: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ModelRailwaySolutions?_rdc=1

simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

seems a bit expensive and doesn't have a top which is the bit i'd need most

thanks anyway, has given me an idea of construction and now i have to convince my carpenter to build me one!!

seems a bit expensive and doesn't have a top which is the bit i'd need most

thanks anyway, has given me an idea of construction and now i have to convince my carpenter to build me one!!

Hi I bought some 6x2' boards from this ebay supplier, but I rang him direct and spoke to Steve, he sent sent me 3 x board frames, 3 x board tops and delivery at a fantastic price as I dealt with him directly, and we cut ebay out of the loop, and he was so trustworthy, that he sent me the stuff, and asked me to send him a cheque in return !!!

It may seem expensive at first glance, but once you get some prices for timber, and fixings, and then your time it all adds up, just going off Steve's 6x4' board price of £75.99 + P+P, and top, ring him and it will definitely be cheaper, it goes together quickly and sturdily and square, and if you equate your time into £££'s / hour labour you may find its worth it.

I have no ties with this company, I am just a very satisfied customer.

Best regards

Craig.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Go for a bit of ply (9 or 12mm) rather than chip board. It's lighter, which will make it easier to move about.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

6mm isn't too thin for what you intend - you will need to watch out for the protruding points of track pins though as they will stick out through 6mm ply.

Good thing about 6mm ply is you can re-use it when you change the track to a more permanent layout by simply gluing & screwing 2x1 or 3x1 battens underneath as a frame.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I would be a little wary of 6mm without bracing simply because of the potential of it becoming damaged when you move it about. 6mm is significantly more flexible than 9mm so as you move it about it will bend and flex.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

If you use some small section stripwood ( 25mm square or 18x32 sort of sizes) fixed to the underside of the 6mm board it will improve rigidity and allow allow somewhere fore wiring which you may want to do in time. I would fixed the would round the edges and then two diagonal crossing in the middle ( you need to cut halfway through each but it doesn't need to be prescision) this will protect the edges and the diagonals prevent twisting. It also seems lighter than the same size board in 9mm.

Don

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

all i can find at the moment is 6mm or 18mm ply

is 6 too thin??

Yes it's too thin, to be honest any ply/chipboard without bracing is going to flex too much, even if you only lift it and lean it against a wall as soon as you pick up one edge the board will curve/flex and track can "pop" off.

For ease try the insulation board approach that Gordon s suggested or make some braced boards, it really is easy.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Lack of tools and limited talent.

My brother in law is a carpenter so hope he can sort out my failings.

Cured by purchases and practice, you'll get to see how badly I've done when crafting my baseboard when I get the pics uploaded to my layout topic later today.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...