2011 Diorama Challenge Announced

Andy Y

The diorama should fit within a 20†x 11†footprint although it needn’t be that size or rectangular in shape.

so does that mean the footprint could be 6.5" x 40" then?

so does that mean the footprint could be 6.5" x 40" then?

I can't see how that would fit inside 20" x 11" ! But if you put an axe through the middle of it, then you could enter both bits separately.

• Like 1

This sounds like a great challenge, and as I face being layout-less in the coming months, gives me something to actually do over the summer. I know exactly what I'm going to do...something I've been dying to do for ages, but haven't had the impetus.

Thanks to Andy and Model Rail for a very interesting challenge, and good luck to everyone who enters.

Mike

This challenge sounds interesting. Never done this before and am looking forward to having a go at the challenge. Now the fun bit trying to decide what to do?

Silly question but the height of the layout cant be more than 11'' is that correct?

Silly question but the height of the layout cant be more than 11'' is that correct?

That's correct, good luck.

Andy, If I do one over here am I going to have to ship it to England or will photographic "proof" be acceptable???

Get your camera and a tape measure out! In the nicest possible way of course. ;)

You can; I was just working on the assumption that Earl Bathurst was using the 20" as a horizontal measurement.

I've got some ideas for the vertical format I'm trying to suppress. laugh.gif

What about a scenic diorama? I'm thinking of a transport cafe, somewhere to display some of those Oxfords & Classix? If necessary including a lorry with a rail-related load (stretching it a bit!) or maybe backing on to a railway line if need be?

If necessary including a lorry with a rail-related load (stretching it a bit!) or maybe backing on to a railway line if need be?

Which will meet the criteria of being rail-related.

I guess there's nothing stopping people from building the diorama for the competition to the maximum dimensions allowed, and then at a later stage adding a fiddle yard (if a suitable trackplan allows of course) after the judging - thus turning it into a working layout when the size no longer matters? Micro inglenook?

I'm sadly not allow to enter this one :cry: