2011 Diorama Challenge Announced

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Only if they were two separate entries as you'd be exceeding the 20" to display the diorama.

Unless you model in T ;)

How to maximise the run in such a small space? Now just working on the corkscrew track to turn it over in the tunnel ;)

30ae8bdb.jpg

• Like 1

Andy

Focussing on the word 'diorama', I'm tempted along the lines of the ideas of Jack Nelson in the early 70's... These were perspective dioramas based on scenes from the LNWR. Due to the 'perspective' aspect of the idea, track which started off at 'OO' tended to narrow to 'N' or even reach the 'vanishing point'. This obviously has serious implications for operation! Is this within the rules??? I.E. does the diorama have to be a working layout section?

Regs

Ian B

After some contemplating, I've decided to join in!

After all, I didn't get too far last year with "Flixborough Exchange sidings" so I thought why not build something for Flixborough?

This challenge is so much smaller, if I get nowhere with this - you all have permission to call me "armchair"!!!!

Will be opening my thread shortly!

Cheers,:drinks:

John E.

Technically no; would it be possible to make a chimney sectional for example so it can fit within it?

I know that may sound harsh but most of the questions in here have been how to get around any limits and if I relax in one way it could mean someone being a little bit more liberal than another which may secure some advantage which would be unfair.

• RMweb Gold

This obviously has serious implications for operation! Is this within the rules??? I.E. does the diorama have to be a working layout section?

Ian

No it says in earlier posts it's a diorama, Andy aimed it so it wasn't another layout challenge, the only criteria are the size and it must be railway related. ;)

(a diorama may have working parts but not essential)

Focussing on the word 'diorama', I'm tempted along the lines of the ideas of Jack Nelson in the early 70's... These were perspective dioramas based on scenes from the LNWR. Due to the 'perspective' aspect of the idea, track which started off at 'OO' tended to narrow to 'N' or even reach the 'vanishing point'. This obviously has serious implications for operation! Is this within the rules??? I.E. does the diorama have to be a working layout section?

Sorry; I'd missed that. That's perfectly permissible but there'd be bags of bonus points for making that operate! laugh.gif

• RMweb Gold

there'd be bags of bonus points for making that operate! laugh.gif

hmmm springs between the wheels and and sensors to inflate the locos . . . . :laugh:

my BOLD from the first post

The diorama should be railway related and could represent a cameo of small detail in a large scale through to the foyer of a major terminus, imagination and creativity is the key. Your model can be static or operational and is not limited by any geographical or era boundaries.

Sorry; I'd missed that. That's perfectly permissible but there'd be bags of bonus points for making that operate! laugh.gif

hmmm springs between the wheels and and sensors to inflate the locos . . . . :laugh:

my BOLD from the first post

Cheers folks -

RTFT (Read the Flippin' Topic) comes to mind... My only excuse - it was late & I was at work...

Regs

Ian

Cue several proposals for rack railways?

Or even steeper - 862 ft of track - 500 ft drop - http://www.cliffrailwaylynton.co.uk/

Or 201 ft track and 111 ft drop - http://www.bridgnorthcliffrailway.co.uk/technical-the-track.html

Or 8ft track and a half kilometre drop - second pic down on http://www.geevor.com/index.php?page=72

Noooo, the maximum base size is 20" x 11" unless you want your layout to perform on a 1 in 4 incline?

Thought it was a diorama so it doesn't have to "perform" just exist in a 20x11x11 space ;)

Doesn't even need to have any track or stock - could just be a pub named "The Railwayman" on a very steep Cornish hillside :)

• Like 2