Barnstaple Junction in EM Gauge

dessire_luvals

• 2 months later...

Hello 

My name is Bill Barton and I have just found your articles on the RMweb and found myself elated with the photographs of your excellent track work and its quality.

I have made two attempts during my life to model Barnstable Junction since I visited it back in the late 50's as a boy. Both attempts never got far past the track laying but now as I am about to retire I've stated again being very enspirored / encourage by your skills.

I wondered how you were progressing and if you could make use of some copies of the black and white photos I took as a lad of the station building?.

To date then more accurately there was a Bullied on the far platform and I think it was A GWR castle on the near platform. So it must have been arround the time it change regions!

Hope the sailing is going well!

I found it very hard work on my various outings

Best regards

Bill

Hi Bill,

Sorry for the delay. I didn't see your message and very kind offer. That would be much appreciated.

With regard to progress, not much to report I'm afriad but am currently starting to go to my shed again.

Rgds

Russell

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Russell

Managed to find a few of them in my desk draw but I know I have more of the station building, platform detail and goods yard/buildings. I'll forward them to you as soon as I can locate them.

Please excuse the quality as they were taken by a 10 year old on a Kodak Browny 127 some 60 years ago.

I hope they are of some use 

Best regards

Banstable Junction .pdf

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Absolutely fantastic Permanent Way, your layout shows EM Gauge at its very best and has fully justified my decision to go EM on my planned layout.

I'll follow your progress with great interest.

Have done a couple of conversions of Steam Locomotives to EM and can only add that the wait and cost of Ultrascale wheels has proved the correct course of action for me.

Now need the time to master the use of the Software.

Thanks for sharing.

Derek

Absolutely fantastic Permanent Way, your layout shows EM Gauge at its very best and has fully justified my decision to go EM on my planned layout.

I'll follow your progress with great interest.

Have done a couple of conversions of Steam Locomotives to EM and can only add that the wait and cost of Ultrascale wheels has proved the correct course of action for me.

Now need the time to master the use of the Software.

Thanks for sharing.

Derek

Thanks Derek, it was the right balance for me. If you haven’t done so already I would heartely recomend you join the EM Gauge Society. Lots of guidance and conversion sheets in the manual.

WRT to Templot, I haven’t used it for a while but it looks as though Martin has made many significant enhancements. My recomendation would be to not try and dive straight in, do the tututorials and watch the recordings to give you an understanding of what’s actually going on first.

WRT to Templot, I haven’t used it for a while but it looks as though Martin has made many significant enhancements. My recomendation would be to not try and dive straight in, do the tututorials and watch the recordings to give you an understanding of what’s actually going on first.

Fully agree with your statement about Templot, with the addition of automated slip design the only major problem child is 3 way turnouts. Otherwise the rest is simple

The suggestion of using the tutorials to get used to the system is very wise, also join the Templot club where assistance is always forthcoming 

Another tip is to keep saving a design as it develops in separate files (every 3 or 4 templates), just so if you do go astray you can reload a few steps before

Rather than hijack this thread with my own interpretation of Barnstaple Junction, I've started a new thread ... as I now have made some progress (other than sitting in an armchair surrounded by books and bits of paper).

It's at: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129587-barnstaple-junction-mid-1930s/

Regards to dessire_luvals and all for continuling inspiration and encouragement.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Its probably been said already, but the track work is a real work of art, it looks fantastic in post #88.

Highlighted by the real life photo in #89.

Looking forward to following your progress.

Regards,

James

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Fully agree with your statement about Templot, with the addition of automated slip design the only major problem child is 3 way turnouts. Otherwise the rest is simple

Hi John,

3-way tandem turnouts have now been mostly automated in the latest 218a Templot update. See: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129726-3-way-tandem-turnouts-in-templot-can-now-be-created-automatically/

Apologies to Russell for hijacking his topic.

regards,

Martin.

• 5 weeks later...

Just come across this thread, and so glad I found it.

I love the flowing track and point work. I am a bit of a track fiend, so the first thing I look at when viewing a layout, is the track.

I decided to model to EM standards in the late 1950’s and have never regretted it.

Good luck with your layout building, so far it looks superb.

Derek

Just come across this thread, and so glad I found it.

I love the flowing track and point work. I am a bit of a track fiend, so the first thing I look at when viewing a layout, is the track.

I decided to model to EM standards in the late 1950’s and have never regretted it.

Good luck with your layout building, so far it looks superb.

Derek

Thanks Derek, it’s a slow old job.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

https://youtu.be/vm2ztOpKhnI

Well it's been a while. Little or no time in the shed over the last couple of years. 

I started messing around with an old Bachmann Bulleid coach an ended up spending more money than I should on a 3 set. 

Reglazed and new corridor handrails, footboards on underframes and bogies, drilled out and pinpoint bearings fitted, new EM wheelsets and then finally a decision to fit Keen close coupling system inside the set with buffers shortened. 

Set leaves what should be Ilfracombe and arrives Barnstaple Junction. 

Regrets, only a couple, firstly that I picked very old coaches with oversized coach numbers that I can't get rid of, and secondly, the new Bachmanns will be here soon. 

Edited by dessire_luvals
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1