Barnstaple Junction in EM Gauge

dessire_luvals

• RMweb Gold

You've obviously mastered Templot and produced some very nice sweeping trackwork, well done.

I'll say! Looks very good and flowing. B) Do you have anymore photos or track plans?

• RMweb Premium

Thats some stunning trackwork; I've always thought the junction end of Barnstaple Junction would make a fascinating model.

How do you intend representing the rest of it? It was a big station with long platforms and a sprawling yard; will you compress these?

I will be watching this layout with great interest.

All the best,

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

As has been mentioned by others, the track looks terrific! The sweeping curves before the bridge are a very important feature of Barnstaple junction, where the lines diverge to Bideford / Torrington and Ilfracombe.

What period are you modelling?

As has been mentioned by others, the track looks terrific! The sweeping curves before the bridge are a very important feature of Barnstaple junction, where the lines diverge to Bideford / Torrington and Ilfracombe.

What period are you modelling?

I'm modelling late fifties - early sixties, probably more towards the latter so that I can drop in a Hymek or two as well as a Dapol class 22.

Thats some stunning trackwork; I've always thought the junction end of Barnstaple Junction would make a fascinating model.

How do you intend representing the rest of it? It was a big station with long platforms and a sprawling yard; will you compress these?

I will be watching this layout with great interest.

All the best,

Dave.

Hi Dave

I will be making some significant compromises on both length and complexity of the station and yards but I'm that the general feeling will be retained.

Russell

I'm loving the look of the trackwork too, just the sort of challenge I would enjoy as well. Looking forward to seeing a trackplan and also some more info about the Ilfracombe end. Good stuff!

Here's the overall plan. I have had to make some compromises that I'm not happy with but couldn't think of any other options. Firstly to allow myself a continous run the track in to Ilfracombe climbs rather than falls, this allows both the Torrington branch and a second Ilfracombe branch track to drop below and loop round to the GWR branh "A" to "A".

"B" is a future option for a breakout in to the garden and a loop back. Barnstaple Goods yard and loco depot is yet to be designed.

post-2598-0-12250300-1305962268_thumb.png

• Like 8

HI

I think this is going to be something very nice to see being built, i nearly did this one myself ,but ended up doing Torrington. If you need any info just PM me ,have lots on Barnstaple .

Keep up the good work.

Darren

HI

I think this is going to be something very nice to see being built, i nearly did this one myself ,but ended up doing Torrington. If you need any info just PM me ,have lots on Barnstaple .

Keep up the good work.

Darren

You can see what I needed the West Country brake rigging for now!

WRT to your offer of details, I think I have almost every book on the subject but there are still quite a few holes. If you have anything regarding the loco depot, coaling stage, water tank etc that would be very interesting. Also have you ever seen any drawings/plans for any of the buildings; station, goods shed etc?

Russell

Nice bit of trackwork, I see that one turnout has been built using the ply and chair method. Are you going to build the rest this way?. Tonight I have been working on a curved junction using this method also in EM, the room now smells of Butanone.

As for the isolation cuts in the sleepers, I have found that using Milliput is quite easy as it stays workable for a long time and is easily sanded 24 hours later.

I will be looking out for more progress

Russell

Nice bit of trackwork, I see that one turnout has been built using the ply and chair method. Are you going to build the rest this way?. Tonight I have been working on a curved junction using this method also in EM, the room now smells of Butanone.

As for the isolation cuts in the sleepers, I have found that using Milliput is quite easy as it stays workable for a long time and is easily sanded 24 hours later.

I will be looking out for more progress

Hi John,

I started out with great intentions to build using ply and C&L chairs but to be honest I have got so many other things to do in my life I simply wouldn't have made any progress. I love the look of the real chairs but had to compromise I'm afraid.

• RMweb Gold

You can see what I needed the West Country brake rigging for now!

WRT to your offer of details, I think I have almost every book on the subject but there are still quite a few holes. If you have anything regarding the loco depot, coaling stage, water tank etc that would be very interesting. Also have you ever seen any drawings/plans for any of the buildings; station, goods shed etc?

Hi,

Very impressive start - the trackwork looks fantastic.

I am interested in Barnstaple junction too - you mention books above - could you please recommend some titles?

Regards,

James

Hi John,

I started out with great intentions to build using ply and C&L chairs but to be honest I have got so many other things to do in my life I simply wouldn't have made any progress. I love the look of the real chairs but had to compromise I'm afraid.

Russell

I have built 300+ copperclad turnouts. I now take my time as I like squareing the ends of the copperclad with a file and other little bits, so time is not too much of an issue. So when building a plain turnout in ply and chairs the build time is not too different. Complex formations do take longer as each rail has to be bent to shape and crossings soldered together before glueing, where as in copperclad you can form the shape and set the gauge as you solder.

Providing all the insulation slits on the sleepers have been filled, once the track has been ballasted and painted, from a distance the blobs of solder pass for chairs anyway.

Having said all this I have learnt a couple of new techniques/processes whic can be transfered to copperclad building.

Also whilst wooden sleepering looks best close up, to my mind the plain track also needs to be built in ply for visual apperance. At our club we (others) are hand building all the track in Exactoscale 7mm components. 2 jigs have been built for 60' and 45' pannels, the turnouts will have all the railbreaks in the correct positions. But then there are a few of us and only 7 turnouts.

• Friendly/supportive 1