DRS Class 37 modified ends

• RMweb Premium

As I requested this forum, I guess I'd better use it....

The project is to create Direct Rail Services 37423 "Spirit of The Lakes". I'm building it to accompany "Caroline", but that's a future project.

It's similar to the ex-Eurostar 37/6's

pic of 37423

This particular loco has the later Wipac style (but not exactly Wipac) headlights and a cab mounted upper marker light. None of the manufacturers currently do this version.

I also wanted DCC controlled lights, but felt that it may "disappear" within the DCC topics - I'm sure this mod will be useful to others.

Model pics to follow.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Hi Pete,

3rd one down would do me. However........

I've used DRS style marker light etches from the Extreme Etchings range at Shawplan. These are different to the normal Wipac lights as they are small round/large round/small round.

They were a bit fiddly to mount on a plasticard backing and then fitted/filled/filed to fit.

A pilot hole is then drilled to be enlarged with a tapered broach before fitting LED's. The square hole is for the MU connector

post-408-0-44680700-1305501884_thumb.jpg

The cab mounted light is made from a piece of square section styrene, filed to an "L" shape. It is then glued to the body and a hole drilled through to fit a LED/fibre optic.

post-408-0-22372900-1305502154_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Here's my method for creating a bit of space behind the nose to mount the LED's

The bufferbeams are cut from the main underframe moulding and then screwed into place using the original fixing screws and lugs.

Araldite (other epoxy adhesives are available) was then used to secure the buffer beams to the body moulding.

post-408-0-88866600-1305653272_thumb.jpg

Once cured, the screws were removed and the mounting posts cut out.

Hopefully, this should now make space for the 5 LED's to be mounted - if I need a bit more space, then I may need to remove some more of the body moulding.

post-408-0-41725700-1305653294_thumb.jpg

It turns out I have enough space for mounting the LED's directly to the nose without resorting to fibre optic/light guides.

I like using 2mm lighthouse LED's as they can be filed to odd shapes, such as rectangles for normal Wipac marker lights. In this case, I needed reduced diameters and managed to fit 3 of them side by side by filing them down widthwise also.

I've used bright white for the markers and warm white for the main headlight. I used blue marker pen to distinguish the bright white LED's so I didn't mix them up!

I haven't bothered with the night headlight.

WIth careful location of the resistors and commoning of the feed wires, I managed to put these in the nose space.

Pics showing:

The LED's in place.

post-408-0-07234400-1305653508_thumb.jpg

Filed down LED's.

post-408-0-06927000-1305653549_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-04991600-1305653580_thumb.jpg

Wired - I've used the standard white/yellow/green/violet for the four functions and blue for common.

post-408-0-02157200-1305653629_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Looks good so far, the way that you have been able to file down the LED's is interesting, didn't realise you could do that.

The light emitting part is in the main rectangualr body. I have filed lighthouse LED's down to small rectangles before now to fit into "standard" Wipac light bodies. The main body of the LEd can also be reduced a small amount. Have a practice on some cheap red or yellow lighthouse LED's before hacking at the whites.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Are you putting lights at both ends?

Richard

Yes - DCC controlled. Sound as well........ But that's another topic ;)

I've done a DRS 20 with 6 (yes-six) LED's in the cab for full day/night running using a similar method.

Cheers,

Mick

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Very neat work.

Who's 37 have you used by the way?

It's one of the later Bachmann 37/4's - sorry don't know which one as it was acquired 2nd hand already stripped and primed.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick,

This is a very useful guide for lightng the DRS machines. I have quite a few 37's several with modified noses from Pete's range all done for me by Andi (cairnsroadworks) which at some point in the future need to have lighting added inlcuding my model of 423 for use on Rannoch so I will look forward to seeing your finished model and thanks for sharing this on here.

Thanks,

Mark

• 5 months later...

Archived