Templefield

WindyHale76

Hi there,

This is my fist attempt at a layout, it's abut 40% complete requiring wiring up and adding details and weathering on a few items.

It's set in the 1950s and based around the Yeovil area but not thought of a reason for a branchline terminus in the area.

The rolling stock is mostly Hornby British Rail southern region, but nothing that would look out of place in the area so no A1X or Cromptons. So far 2 M7s 30129 (Based at Yeovil Town) , one Bachmann N class (awaiting etched deatils), Battle of Britain 34051 Winston Churchill (Modified with Orginal tender and early crest), 30453 King Arthur ( Salisbury based engine)

There are a few Western region stuff such as Lima Praire repainted and renumbered with Alan Gibson wheel for leading and trailng bogie. Plus a Bachmann toad, and an Airfix B set which requires new bogies and Keen system coupling and repainted and modifications to the bodies.

The layout has a mixture of Peco buildings, Ratio and Wills, and measures 6ft 6 by 1ft and currently awaiting a fiddle yard to complete.

post-1350-0-04801700-1305493308_thumb.jpg

post-1350-0-88626000-1305493369_thumb.jpg

post-1350-0-40550300-1305493427_thumb.jpg

Hoping to add some rolling stock soon, an airfix b set with keen system fitted and modifications to the bodies and replacement fittings including buffers and replace the broken ventilators.

Plus try and make a push pull lookalike not stricly accurate out of a Ratio kit and some Roxey bits and a quick look at Mike King's push pull book.

Hope to post some pics of these project in due course, whilst tring to work out what to do for my SWAG module

Yep fiddle yard at the side maybe in an L shape to maximise space , there are in fact three tracks which can go to the fiddle yard one of which is behind the trees and this is the Western region line spur meeting the Southern region.

The fiddle yard won't be big large enough to accomodiate a WC and 2 mk one coaches

• RMweb Gold

Small spaces are a beggar to make the most of, and your runround looks a trifle compromised, but you've certainly added some "West of England" atmosphere. I hope the fiddle yard makes operation more satisfying. Keep at it!

Well last night, I decided to attempt my push pull unit. With a Roxey model casting of a front end of a push pull unit and a ratio midland coach I decided to start. The body shape is roughly there and due to the age of the moulds there was alot of flash so spent alot of time tidying up. There wasno interior to speak of so decided to scratch build it myself. Hoping to complete the coach by the end of the week and will put pics up too. I would put pics up now but on my iPhone sorry

As promised the pic based on a LSWR non corridor stock, just need to know what colour to paint the seat inside as I think these denote class. The outside will probably be red and also sorting out a trailer coach currently.

Well an addition model in progress for the layout. As no one makes a rtr push pull for the Southern region, I decided to make an attempt at a cut price lookalike involving a Ratio kit, a Roxey casting and a copy of Mike King's Southern Push Pull book. The model is in the early stages aith some of the interior built and also looiking to update the bogies too.

post-1350-0-42168300-1306765658_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well a quick update, to tell everyone how the layout is getting on. Well it has moved to a permanent home in my workshop, and currently everything is getting cleaned and dusted for work that has been carried out on my house.

Despite being busy i have managed to try and build a driving trailer on the cheap using a Ratio kit and some plasticard and artistic liencse. It's about 90% there all it needs is some passengers and a driver plus some weathering and some paint here and there.

It is loosely based on an LSWR non corridor design and follows the sequence of numbers for the set 664.

All i need to do is decide which way i'm going with the other coach in the set. I have an old Graham Farish Suburban coach which will look nice couple to this and my M7.

So Far this little effort has cost me about £10 which I think is not too bad considering how much time I've spent building and tinkering.

post-1350-0-21006600-1311001260_thumb.jpg

I've merged the SWAG version of this topic into this one - it was becoming unworkable having two parallel but similar topics running in different parts of the forum, and not something we recommend.

Well done, nice models. What did you use for the station building?

Desa

The station is actually the Peco model, it comes with canopy but found this awkward to use so kept it off. The model is painted grey and artist pastels added later

• 3 months later...

Well a quick update, gon back to the drawing board with the track and cleaned it off and laid it better. Hopefully thi will stop some locos derailing, but changed a few features like adding 2 turn outs and and also moving the postition of a few. Over the next few weeks, I will be painting track and ballastin witha finer ballast. On the plus side I have a fiddle yard now. Pics will be on here soon enough

Guest oldlugger

An excellent first layout... better than some that are not! The station looks very nice in particular. Keep posting photos.

Cheers

Simon

• 1 month later...

Well the Christmas and new year are now over. Quick update, well the layout has been on the backburner, with family over on the christmas period. But currently the fiddle yard is now up and running and several locomotives have had the cob webs blown out of them. I did have a little fright as now of the locomtive ran properly, but this was actually remedied with a peco track rubber, and a small amount of methalated spririt applied to the track.

The platforms have been resurfaced with a layer of thin plywood which currently requires a little filling in some areas. The scenic area has been shortened by about 6 inches so now it's 6ft in length, but this tweek has alllowed better running and a running loop which can actually allow decent shunting. There is a small head shunt which an M7 can use, but whilst testing my small prarie has slight problems as the cylinders actually hit the platform edges.

There is probably about a months worth of work to be done before it's nearly finished. I should get my camera out and take pics as they say a picture paints a thousand words.

Thanks for all the comments on this topic and hopefully 2012 will the year this layout is finished.

BTW I've started an N gauge layout just as a runaround but that is progressed further than this probably down to it's size and I don't have to work in the workshop which hasn't been too warm or tidy over the christmas period.

The station is actually the Peco model, it comes with canopy but found this awkward to use so kept it off. The model is painted grey and artist pastels added later

I have just ordered the Peco buildings but in brick, they will be cross-bred with the Wills wooden shelter and with inspiration from PMP's article in RM, the resulting station should be interesting.

Next week, I will bring home some Roco track cleaners and I have a spare tub of wood filler for your platform.

Tim

Gday there, good to see this back. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to see some photos of your recent reworkings. Dont underestimate the fun of just testing/shunting some wagons around. Work came to a complete halt on my Inglenook for quite awhile once I got the track laid and wired up!

Happy modelling, regards Glenn

• RMweb Gold

Hi - don't want to appear critical as the overall atmosphere on this is great :) I'm just a bit confused why you have 2 very short loops in the track layout - I would have thought 2 parallel lines from the bridge to the platform with a crossover in front of the station building would give you more flexibility & could give a longer headshunt? Obviously it's your call & a bit of a blighter to relay track.... ;)

Well prefer to have a little shunting fun and this gives actually allows some different variations. The headshunt only really allow an M7 maximum, but have tried a pannier in there too and it works well. But have adjusted one of the loops near the bridge has been extended and actually fits a mark one coach in there nicely. Despite being just over 6ft it's nice to run a mixed traffic rake and shunt them around. The photos are only showing a real work in progress.

Archived