LNER Alumina wagon

Hi folks,

Looking around on Slaters web site to figure out what I wanted next, I found their kit for an "LNER Bulk Alumina wagon" (https://slatersplast....php?code=7042A). Wow, what an odd looking piece of rolling stock.

But, since My locos and brake vans are all LMS, the question quickly became "can I justify this wagon"?

So, here are the questions that I've been unable to find answers for via google...

1) When were these built, and for how long did they run? How many were built?

2) Were they in "captive" service (that is, they went between point A and point B on the LNER, or could you see them just about anywhere in the UK)?

3) If the answer to #2 is "anywhere", did they run as "unit trains", or could you find just one mixed in on a freight train?

4) How common were these?

Thanx for your help!

Mike

The Slaters wagon, like the prototype, is based on the NER 20T coal hopper. I'm not sure of the date of conversion, I'd guess sometime in the '30s and there were probably no more than 20 of them. They worked solely between a smelter at Burntisland and the aluminium works at Fort William, running via Cadder yard and the West Highland line in small cuts in the formation of a mixed freight. Withdrawal came sometime in the mid-60s; they were survived by some later purpose-built steel hoppers (and by BR Presflos and Covhops in the same traffic)

No probs Mike :)

Withdrawal came sometime in the mid-60s;

Maybe of interest to some: I had a notion I'd seen a pic of one of these at a surprisingly late date, I've now found it in the recent MLI on the Claytons (oops sorry, it does cover some other classes ;)). There's just one, cut into what's decribed as an Alloa - Mossend freight along with about eight of the later steel hoppers plus three BR Covhops, and it's dated May 1967. That must be one of the latest uses of wooden underframed freight stock in revenue use

Archived