Roads A-C

St. Simon

Hi,

Here is my entry for the 2011 Layout Challenge layout

post-7271-0-44062400-1306066945_thumb.jpg

Roads A-C is an accurate representation of part of maintenance roads A, B and C at Chiltern Railway’s Aylesbury Depot in Buckinghamshire. The diorama will feature both the outside of the shed and inside of the depot. The model will have four levels: A raised Platform Level inspection platform; Rail level; Bogie / door step inspection level and under frame / inspection pit level. I have decided to model the front portion of the Depot for two reasons, one is that I have different places to photograph models and two; the front of the depot was very uncluttered in terms of detail but I will be still able to model the main parts of the Depot. The Name of the layout stems from the Depots Road numbering / naming system. Roads A-C being in the main depot buildings, starting with A being the closest to the offices and Staff Amenities building. I can't really show you a Plan because it is only 3 arrow straight pieces of track on a board, so here's some pictures I found to demostrate what it'll (hopefully) look like:

This is a view of the inside of the depot from the front looking back with A-Road nearest the camera:

http://www.flickr.co...ger/4772914673/

The part I will be modelling will extend to approx where the exhaust extractors are. The Wall to the right of the picture will be left out, leaving a viewing window to see into the Depot, here's another looking from C-road over to B-road:

http://www.flickr.co...157607227268188

The Diorama will also feature a section outside of the Depot, but unfortunatly I'm having a hard time finding photos of the front of the depot, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Aylesbury has a special significance for myself as I spent 2 weeks as a trainee engineer on a Work Experience placement just over a year ago and loved every minute of it. Most of the detail ( and measurements) will be done from memory.

Unfortunatly there won't be much done for a couple weeks due to myself taking my GCSE exams, but I'll hopefully do some during half term!

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Sounds very interesting Simon and I will be following this one with keen interest. Just a thought, for the dimension, couldn't you get these off Google Maps, used in reference with the pictures and the known lengths for the different classes to get positioning of equipment?

I know there was a fotopic site, which appeared to be from a driver and that had some good photos of the depot, including from the outside the doors if I recall correctly. Unfortunately I can't remember the site (not much good when the site is down anyway!) but maybe they will get re-uploaded or saved onto another hosting site.

Cheers

Chris

Just a thought, for the dimension, couldn't you get these off Google Maps, used in reference with the pictures and the known lengths for the different classes to get positioning of equipment?

Hi,

Thanks Chris!

Yeah, I've used google maps to get the height of the building roughly correct. I'm using photos to estimate doors and other things. The only other measurements I really need are the pit depths. I've worked these out by using my height and memory of where different parts of me came to when working there and just roughly calculating it from there! Here's the cross section of the pits between B and C-roads, the black things are the things the rail is attached to (dimensions in mm):

post-7271-0-39045900-1305665733_thumb.jpg

I decided to model the front because along the rear wall, there's real equipment, in fact the only piece of equipment I need is a crane tucked in between the doors of B and C-road. I found when I was there, the front was rather unclutted, meaning I would have little to build and still be prototypical!

Simon

Hi,

I have managed to knock up a 3D sketch in Google Sketchup to represent how Roads A-C will look:

post-7271-0-62685300-1305836039_thumb.jpg

As you can see I won't be modelling the actual building, but I will be using the backscene and top of the diorama represent the walls and roof, this will cut down on the major work so I can concentrate on the detail inside the building. Because the Depot won't actually have a roof, it means I can recreate the rather Warley-like orange lighting of the prototype. Either using LED strips or using LED spotlights with a suitably coloured Filter 'or Gel' to get the right colour.

post-7271-0-73343000-1305836443_thumb.jpg

Above is a picture of the depot interior. I have left out a couple of doors and cabinets, but all you see here all the major structures in the front of the shed. I have left out the vertical stanchions on the walkway for clearity, but this is really it.

I have been thinking about how to produce the elevated track, I will need to make the track at the correct height, but there are a lot of supports even though it is only 10 inches of elevated track.; cutting all of them to the correct height is going to be very tricky. I have been toying with idea if resin casting them, but I'm sure how you would cast the I-girders at right angles. If anyone has any idea of how to produce 6 sets of identical sets of elevated track, would be nice to hear of them!

Comments welcome!

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Its looking good already Simon, I like the idea of not modelling the depot building, should give a nice clear and un-obstructive view of all the detail inside.

With the elavated track, I seem to recall quite a while ago, Model Rail showing how to build a Underground Station and they seemed to of used pre-made supports and then attached the rail chairs on top of them. I'll try to dig it out for you and let you know. Another option could be is to get the Plasticard I beam sections and make a jig and cut them all the same length, which will probably take a while!

One other thing, will you be including the flashing pit lights and the sirens, something which i haven't seen on a model yet and should add more depth (and annoyance :P )

Cheers

Chris

Its looking good already Simon, I like the idea of not modelling the depot building, should give a nice clear and un-obstructive view of all the detail inside.

With the elavated track, I seem to recall quite a while ago, Model Rail showing how to build a Underground Station and they seemed to of used pre-made supports and then attached the rail chairs on top of them. I'll try to dig it out for you and let you know. Another option could be is to get the Plasticard I beam sections and make a jig and cut them all the same length, which will probably take a while!

One other thing, will you be including the flashing pit lights and the sirens, something which i haven't seen on a model yet and should add more depth (and annoyance :P )

Hi Chris,

Thanks, yeah, plus not modelling the actually building will mean I don't have to do so much!

Thanks, that article might be of help! With Elevated track it's not about time, it's about cutting each I-beam square and the right length. I've worked out that the supports need to be 6mm high and around 4mm square. I think either a jig will do and use a mini miter block to cut them straight

Oh yes, I will include the flashing lights, but haven't thought about the sirens, it is an idea, plus while I was there, one of the fitters used to bring a radio and play it while working! :diablo_mini:

Simon

Hi,

Right, a couple of things today:

First, yesterday I managed to get some of the materials I need to start, including the wood to make the concrete hard standing and other things. I have also worked out that I need around 66 'I' beam supports for the layout, I think i'll cut them all using a small hacksaw and a mini mitre block. I will then put C&L finescale track chairs on top of them for the track to run through

But, I won't be doing any work on the layout until half term (next week) or even until my exams over (around the middle of June :help: ), so don't expect anything until then!

Secoundly, I have produced a small logo for the layout, resembling the Chiltern Railways Logo, you can see at the very top of the thread! Plus I'm still looking for images of the front of the Depot building (where the trains go in), so if you have any, would be a great help!

Comments Welcome!

Simon

Really looking forward to seeing this develop. It certainly looks interesting so far. Never seen anything like this modelled before, personally.

Tom N.

P.S. A quick search on Flickr got a few results for the depot but not sure if they're what you're after.

4772913341_88662aec4e.jpg

165 031 under the temporary refuelling shelter at the end of C Road - Aylesbury Depot by XPinger, on Flickr

Really looking forward to seeing this develop. It certainly looks interesting so far. Never seen anything like this modelled before, personally.

Tom N.

P.S. A quick search on Flickr got a few results for the depot but not sure if they're what you're after.

Hi Tom.

Thanks!

Thank you, but I really need photos of the entire front, looking across from A Road to C Road, don't really mind if they have a train in them, it would in fact help with measurements!

Simon

Hi,

Right, I have managed to pick up some more of the materials for Roads A-C at Railex today, along with a mini-mitre block to cut all the rail supports squarely.

I'll start doing some work tomorrow because I'm now on half-term! :yahoo:

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

It's been a bit quiet of late with Roads A-C, but never fear there is progress!

Yesterday I managed to purchase a razor saw from the Alton Model Centre yesterday! This means I can try cutting all the track supports sqaure, instead of not square when I was using the Junior Hacksaw.

So This morning I got up and had ago and within an hour or so, I have managed to cut and stick 4 out of the 6 sets of supports, but I've run out of plastic, Sods law strikes again! But I will get some very soon, once I have finished the supports, I will need to order track chairs and then I can set about starting on the rest of the Depot!

I will post some photos up soon!

Simon

Hi,

Right, lots and lots of progress today!

Firstly, all 6 of the sets of track supports are finished, they are not all prefect, but they are dam well close and they are best I will be able to get using the razor saw and mitre block. Most of them are square and stand vertically and they are all approximatly the right height. They are stil waiting painting and track.

post-7271-0-77955900-1308685764_thumb.jpg

post-7271-0-88322400-1308685789_thumb.jpg

The board you see the supports on above is the board that is going to be the layout, but it will be cut down to size and have a frame put on before it'll be used. Hopefully this will be done tomorrow!

Secoundly, I have had a large modelling session this afternoon, the first in months to scratchbuild some items for the layout. These include three extractor fans that will sit at the right end of the layout, they won't be prototypically on the right place but whats going to happen, is that I will use mirrors along the right hand side to create the image of a longer depot, but the extractor fans will help mask any spot lights that will reflect in the mirrors. This what they look like in reality:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xpinger/4772914673/

This is what my models look like, they are upside down and need weathering:

post-7271-0-05848200-1308686393_thumb.jpg

The next item I've scratchbuilt would only of been seen by people that have visited the depot for themselves because it isn't seen in my photos. It is a crane that is nestled between the doors for Roads B and C right at the front of the Depot. It is used as a safety system for people who are maintaining the front of units, such as replace windscreens, the top headlight etc. The fitter puts on a harness attached to the crane and then climbs up the cab.

I've recreated the crane compeletly memory, it still needs another coat of paint and a bit of weathering:

post-7271-0-31776300-1308687139_thumb.jpg

This leaves now the only major parts of the depot to build being the front and inspection platform, but I need some thicker plasticard to do that, so tomorrow I hope to build the baseboard.

Comments Welcome!

Simon

Hi,

First of all a big thank you to Big Jim for those pictures, they are fantastic, just what I needed! :yahoo:I'm surprised you didn't get picked on by the fitters for taking photos and being a railway enthusiast, they did with me when I was there! :lol:

I've also got some more from a friend of mine, Matt Wickham (Bluemodelrailway on here) from a different (public) angle, so thank you to him as well!

Secoundly, it has been a very productive day today, despite the heavy rain in the morning, it has become sunny enough here in High Wycombe to build the baseboard for Roads A - C. This was made of scraps of material that I have found in the garage, I still need to find some plywood to make the backscene and 'lighting' rig. Here's some pictures to show the length and width, plus with some parts in their approximate locations:

post-7271-0-22705900-1308752929_thumb.jpg

post-7271-0-28056700-1308752942_thumb.jpg

post-7271-0-80916200-1308752953_thumb.jpg

post-7271-0-25947800-1308752965_thumb.jpg

Since the photos were taken, I have painted it in undercoat ready for a top coat. I'm not sure weather to paint it Black or 'Chiltern Blue', any thoughts? I have also weathered the extractor fans, but haven't taken any photos of them.

Comments Welcome!

Simon

• RMweb Gold

A nice idea Simon and well executed so far!

I certainly don't envy cutting all those supports out, but you have done a great job given the difficulties.

I have to say your baseboard is much neater than mine too!

Good luck, and I'll be following this one with interest.

Jam

A nice idea Simon and well executed so far!

I certainly don't envy cutting all those supports out, but you have done a great job given the difficulties.

I have to say your baseboard is much neater than mine too!

Good luck, and I'll be following this one with interest.

Jam

Hi,

Thanks Jam, yes the cutting of the supports was a daunting task when I started, and became even more so when I could cut them square, but once I had the right saw and everything I was amazed at how quickly they came together. In fact today I tested the supports againest the wood I'm using to evelate the ground around the track and the supports were the perfect heights, obviously I will have to tweak it a bit, but not much!

Yes, well I got dad to get the top of the board because I'm not one to be trusted with a jigsaw :unsure: , but all the other woodwork was done by myself. If you do look at it closely, there are quite a few rough edges

Simon

Hi,

Even more work done today, being on Holiday until September means I can get some serious modelling done for once! :yahoo: :lol: ;)

Today I have started actually glueing stuff on to the baseboard, I have glued done some of the strip wood needed to create the hardstanding around the tracks. I have glued town one set of supports using another bit of track as a guide, but am waiting to get the rails done before I move on and glue the other tracks down. I've also managed to paint the strip wood that is visible in undercoar ready for some concrete paint ( which I don't have! :rolleyes: ) and have also painted the supports in grey paint ready for track.

I have also started to cover the stripwood in the cork floor tile top, but I have run out of that as well! :fool: Anyway, here's a picture of progress so far:

post-7271-0-67242200-1308942204_thumb.jpg

Will take a couple of days rest for the moment until Monday when I can get out and buy some more materials, Comments welcome!

Simon

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Long time, no post! I have been on Holiday to the Isles of Scilly for a couple weeks, so haven't been able to do any work to Roads A-C

But, it's been a week since I returned, so I have manged to progress with the Diorama. To be Honest, I did to some work before I left, but I forgot to post it up! :fool_mini:

The work I did before I went away was to finish laying the cork around the tracks. This meant that I had to glue down the supports for the rails, with a large amount of guess work, because the distance between the supports determines the distance between the rails, which I haven't got yet! :O So what I did was to get a length of unused track work & a wagon and place them on top of the supports manovering the supports so the chairs on the sleepers are placed over the centre line of the supports. This was done both before and after the supports were glued onto the board. But from what I can see, there shouldn't be any reason with the track isn't ok. :nea_mini:

I also painted the all the strip wood and cork in Railmatch's concrete coloured paint. You may say that it's too clean or the wrong colour for concrete, but from what I remember, Railmatch's colour is almost a perfect match for the colour of the concrete in the depot, I have got to weather it abit, but not to much, here's a picture:

post-7271-0-19272400-1313509992.jpg

You can also see in the above picture that the maintenance walkway is coming along. I need to add handrails (I tried soldering 0.9 brass wire up, but didn't look good, so searching for options, why ideas?) and detail the underneath, as well as add some lights

The first major thing that happened once I got back was to make the base for the track outside of the depot. I had been putting this off, because the track outside the Depot would require a base shallower than that inside the depot because of the sleepers. The base was made from 12mm heigh strip wood then covered in a cork floor tile. This is approximately the right height, but I tried with a length of scrap track with some of the sleepers taken off and the base is a little too shallow, so I'll probably need some plasticard under the sleepers to lift it to the right height. I've also added the walkway outside the Depot and painted it, I still need to add railings as well

The base currently looks like this (the Container is a Dapol Model, but isn't stuck down and won't be because I use it on the intermodel train):

post-7271-0-76121700-1313509976.jpg

As you can see in the photos, the backscene has been cut along with the front of the depot. The backscene is from 6mm MDF and the Depot Front from 6mm Plywood. The Door dividers are 6mm square strip wood, simply because it was easy to cut one hole in the plywood than cut three. Hopefully in a minute, I'll give the backscene a lick of black paint, ready for cladding in plastic.

A couple of pictures to show the dimensions of the height:

post-7271-0-05876700-1313512360.jpg

post-7271-0-28771900-1313512373_thumb.jpg

After talking at RMweb members day about the superb buildings that were on Display and muttering the infamous works "I could never do something like that", Chris F 'encouraged' me to have a go at a small building myself and we then came up with the idea of the stores hut at the Depot for Roads A-C. In reality the Stores building is a very small hut inside the depot, from where parts are given to fitters from a much larger store building outside, is actually towards the station end of the Depot, being about 2/3 along the Depot. But I decided to compress the Depot about so I could increase my modelling skill!

The model is made from a shell of 2 layers of 1mm plasticard. The building as a detailed interior, there wasn't much inside: a bench with a shelf with pots for transmission oil samples in tool trays and a shelfs full of screws, nuts & bolts. It will sit right on the edge of the front and right on the righthand side of the board, up against the side board. This what it'll look like once glued down:

post-7271-0-85043100-1313511372.jpg

With the back off to show the interior:

post-7271-0-20442400-1313512180.jpg

I'll touch up the paint a bit, as well as weather it, I also have to put a noticeboard and notices on as well. It will be light by a 3mm white LED so the interior can be shown.

Hopefully tomorrow, I'll clad the depot front and inside with Plastic and get the front done. I've also decided that C-road will be closed, so it will look like Big Jims picture above.

Comments Welcome!

Simon

Hi,

There's been a lot of work done to the layout in the past 48 hours.

Firstly, yesterday I managed to clad the depot front and inside in corrogated plastic and brick plastic. I have also made and painted the door for C-road. It won't be ready for sticking on until the track is down because the track runs under the door:

post-7271-0-34457700-1313692976.jpg

You can see I've painted the plastic in Revell Aqua Colour Light Blue, no. 50, to me it is a good match to the blue that the real building is painted. I've still got CCTV cameras, vents and lights to add, but really the front of the layout is finished.

Today I started weathering the inside of the Depot, I added the upright I-girders, door and few other details before doing this. the Depot floor I'm pleased with because it is just right. But I wasn't happy with walls. I first started with a wash of black paint thinned in whie spirit, looking back on it I should of stopped there, but I thought I remembered the Depot being dirtier, so I dry brushed on more black paint then washed some of it using white spirit. But then I looked at some pictures of the inside and found that the walls weren't that dirty <_< <_<

So I've repainted the walls in Precisions paints Southern Ivory colour (I thought that I had over done the weathering anyway) to start the weathering process again. I've got to add some cross bracing as well, so here it is before the repaint:

post-7271-0-34439700-1313694545.jpg

And After:

post-7271-0-82314600-1313694878.jpg

Tomorrow evening (because I'm off to the Bluebell Railway tomorrow) I will do my trick of Black paint with White spirit just to make it look a bit dirty!

So the moral of the story is, always look at photos before modelling, so you can save yourself some work! :banghead:

I've also spent today doing some detailing on the layout:

post-7271-0-52057400-1313695538.jpg

What you can see in the photo above is some of the details that I have put on. The White Blocks are from a Knightwing detailing kit and are meant to be representations of the battery fillers that are used to top up the batteries on units with battery fluid.

The things you can see on the back wall are these:

post-7271-0-08335400-1313695863.jpg

They are reels for fuel and hydrostatic oil hoses, these are made from cables drums, again from a knightwing detailing kit with thin electrical wire rapped around it and then fixed to some plastic I girder. I think they look quite good!

The last bit I've done is to detail the stores building a bit more, I've added a noticeboard and cleaned up some of the painting:

post-7271-0-60843500-1313696448.jpg

That's all for now, some more by Monday hopefully!

Comments Welcome!

Simon

Hi,

Wow, I'm seem to be on a roll with is modelling lark! :O

I left the last update with my about to weather the back wall of the depot again after my rubbish first attempt. What I did was to use a wash of Humbrol Aquacolour Black (No. 08) diluted in water, then brush paint it on to the wall, then wipe away the worst of it. This leaves a slightly grubby wall, like this:

post-7271-0-96310400-1313945213.jpg

You can also see that the Maintenance walkway has been finished, the handrails are hand made and aren't that good really. The Yellow you see is a kickboard at the bottom of the walkway, as seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/xpinger/4772914673/

There's also been a couple of a details added to the layout as well, The Black and Grey Cross Braces on the wall, the yellow Bin on the wall near the door and the yellow boxes represent the shore supply for the coaches.

The Big difference is that I have painted the frame black, the black area above the top of the wall is where most of the wiring is going to be for lights etc. There's going to be a plywood top to the depot for the roof details and and lights.

post-7271-0-44040800-1313947365.jpg

You'll see above that the handrail for the outside walkway has been added as well as a couple of vents above the door for B road.

The Backscene is black on this section because I've decided to model the Depot night thsi is because no photo exists of the view from the walkway outside towards the main running lines, plus this should give the lighting more effect.

Finally I have written a sign for the layout which will be the top front of the layout. Use Stencils from Staples and all hand painted in red:

post-7271-0-78031200-1313947603.jpg

I think it looks quite good, what do you thinj?

Basically now, 90% of the work is done, I've got to add a few details, lay the track and ballast it, then a bit of woodwork and electrics and it should be finished.

Comments Welcome!

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

A small update on Roads A-C!

Work has rather slowed down on Roads A-C, waiting to get track and for the weather to be dry enough to do more woodwork. But U have completed a removable control panel, for the lights on the layout:

post-7271-0-92057400-1314650554.jpg

It is a box from Maplins with 3 simple on/off switches for the 3 groups of lights: Roof lights, Walkway / stores lights, and an outside lamp.

It will be placed behind the layout sign for operating.

Comments Welcome

Simon

Archived