Bachmann 2-EPB Photo Review

Andy Y

I am hoping the C will be followed with D! I also hoped that the N would be followed by a U class too.

Recently they started to do a bit more but until 2010, we only had Nelsons, N class, Queen Mary Brake and Bullied coaches from Bachmann for southern steam.

• 1 month later...

The Hobby Shop at Faversham now has green 2-EPBs in their 'Summer Madness' sale @ £120.

It suggests the market for 2-EPBs is unwilling to pay the full price less normal discount.  It is hardly surprising when the original all green 2-EPB models were heavily discounted.

Perhaps Bachmann made a large mistake in not producing the gsyp version as originally announced.  Being a commission it appears that these gsyp models were at least all sold at premium prices, unless anyone know differently.

• RMweb Premium

I got my gsyp 2EPB off Ebay a couple of years ago, mint/boxed for £100 ("buy it now" price) - I think the plain green versions were around £85 at the time. I did wonder at the time if the seller had slightly undervalued it!

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

I would like to ask the Southern EMU experts for their advice please?

I would like to add a Blue/Grey 2 EPB to my EMU fleet. I am basing my collection around 1979/80, when l was working on the footplate at Waterloo.

So far Bachmann has not release a suitable 2 EPB, the nearest model they have released so far is 31-380, the Blue /Grey liveried version with NSE branding below the driver’s window, and no high intensity head lights fitted. Am l right to assume that with the NSE branding removed this would be a suitable model for my 1979/80 period?

If l am correct, how difficult would it be to remove the branding, would it damage the paint finish? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Bob C

Loads of information on them here.

http://www.bloodandcustard.com/2epbbr001.html

According to that the first Blue/Grey ones appeared in 1980. Before that they were BR Blue. I think they were also renumbered when they became NSE.

It might be worth having a look around if you can still find a reasonably priced one or maybe wait for the new version in blue.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/107334/Bachmann_Branchline_31_375A_Class_416_2EPB_2_Car_EMU_in_BR_blue_weathered/StockDetail.aspx

Jason

Loads of information on them here.

http://www.bloodandcustard.com/2epbbr001.html

According to that the first Blue/Grey ones appeared in 1980. Before that they were BR Blue. I think they were also renumbered when they became NSE.

It might be worth having a look around if you can still find a reasonably priced one or maybe wait for the new version in blue.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/107334/Bachmann_Branchline_31_375A_Class_416_2EPB_2_Car_EMU_in_BR_blue_weathered/StockDetail.aspx

Jason

That one has been on pre-order for a long time, would it really be that cheap?

Hi Bob. I have never tried to remove the NSE branding before, but have successfully removed coach numbers simply by scratching (gently) the number with a cocktail stick with no lasting damage and no use of any fluids/substance - I don't know if you could apply the same principles to the branding.

However, as mentioned above the model you are referring to has the later TOPS number (6262) rather than 5762 which would have been applied for the period you are interested in. According to the information on bloodandcustard (link above) 5762 was plain blue until early 1982 and then painted blue/grey.

I guess it really depends how accurate you want it.

Regards

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Jason

Hasn’t that 31-375A long been and gone? Can’t see it on Bachmann’s website. As far as I remember it was Bachmann’s way of selling off unsold stock of the original release, the only difference being the weathering.

Hasn’t that 31-375A long been and gone? Can’t see it on Bachmann’s website. As far as I remember it was Bachmann’s way of selling off unsold stock of the original release, the only difference being the weathering.

No idea to be honest. I thought it was a recent announcement.

I never participated in the Bachmann 2EPBs as I already had a couple of the DC Kits version.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bob. I have never tried to remove the NSE branding before, but have successfully removed coach numbers simply by scratching (gently) the number with a cocktail stick with no lasting damage and no use of any fluids/substance - I don't know if you could apply the same principles to the branding.

However, as mentioned above the model you are referring to has the later TOPS number (6262) rather than 5762 which would have been applied for the period you are interested in. According to the information on bloodandcustard (link above) 5762 was plain blue until early 1982 and then painted blue/grey.

I guess it really depends how accurate you want it.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for pointing that out, that saved a possible expensive mistake. So it looks like at the moment l need to find another all Blue EPB 31-375 and alter the numbering, right where's my cocktail sticks !!

Thanks for your help

Bob C

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve

Thanks for pointing that out, that saved a possible expensive mistake. So it looks like at the moment l need to find another all Blue EPB 31-375 and alter the numbering, right where's my cocktail sticks !!

Thanks for your help

Bob C

This shop claims to have one in stock - http://kentgardenrailways.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1707

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Slide a thin screwdriver underneath the blanking plug (there is room) and lever it out with that. Don't try to pull it out with finger and thumb, because any slip and you end up bending one of the pins. 

Archived