Bachmann 2-EPB Photo Review

Andy Y

EPB_2car.jpg

The eagerly awaited EPBs have landed and are starting to make their way out from the retailers.

It certainly looks every inch the part, dimensionally accurate across all areas and captures the shape and look exceptionally well.

I've had the opportunity to get some detailed snaps of the early green version.

EPB_2car_2.jpg

EPB_ends1.jpg

EPB_ends2.jpg

EPB_motor_end.jpg

The end and guards handrails are separately applied items whilst the door handles and door grab rails are moulded although it's not immediately evident that they are. The surface mounted conduits on the inner ends are moulded whilst the conduit that runs from the top down to the solebar is separately applied and care must be taken with this whilst opening up the model.

Whilst the underframe detail of the prototype is comparatively basic this is well represented on the model and is robust.

If the roof conduits had been separately applied this would have been quite a fragile model so it's sensible that the roof conduits are moulded on but I can see this being an improvement some modellers may wish to make given how much time will be spent looking at the roof.

EPB_end_roof.jpg

The two cars are connected by a simple and easy to fit connector bar, Bachmann also include a spare within the packaging.

EPB_contact_bars.jpg

The contact bar fits into the NEM pockets and brings the two vehicles into contact at the single central buffer point. Even traversing crossovers the central buffer will slide along the plate on the other vehicle.

EPB_coupling.jpg

EPB_gap.jpg

Once coupled the two cars are acceptably close coupled.

Opening the model up is quite straightforward, there are two screws at the motor bogie end of the driving car to undo. The body is separated from the chassis by inserting a fingernail or plastic shim between the solebar and the body and working away from the end until the body is loose. the accompanying instruction advise that the wire conduit at the inner end will need removing from the solebar; that's the only tricky bit about it.

EPB_screw.jpg

EPB_part.jpg

EPB_conduit.jpg

The passenger compartments feature the correct arrangement of 3+2 and bench seating against compartment divisions.

EPB_seats.jpg

Once inside there is clear space for the 21-pin decoder to be fitted and a speaker if you were to fit sound.

EPB_socket.jpg

Each end of the 2-car unit features lit headcode blinds which can be turned on/off with F0 in DCC operation.

EPB_lights.jpg

Interior lights are provided by mini LEDs mounted in the roof and can be switched on/off using F1 through DCC.

EPN_interior_lights.jpg

There is no stray wiring to become trapped in separating or re-assembling parts as the power management is well thought through and concealed either beneath the seating or above the LED lighting bar in the roof. It's all very well though through. The units picks up from all 16 wheels across the 2 cars with copper cones in the hub of each axlebox making low-friction contact with the pin-point of each axle end.

The motor bogie is removable by undoing a single screw mounted on the top of the chassis block, the motor bogie is connected to the drive mechanism via a short shaft which is straightforward enough to re-locate when re-assembling.

EPB_bogie.jpg

The headcode blind window is a nice flush fit but it is difficult to see if can be easily removed to change the blind, I can see some aftermarket potential there.

I haven't had opportunity to run the model yet but as it is based on a proven drive mechanism I would expect it to be smooth and quite powerful enough to trail at least another couple of dummy units behind it.

My verdict is that this model of the less glamorous end of passenger travel is robust, accurate, well-designed and sufficiently detailed to be considered excellent value.

This post has been promoted to an article

Many, many thanks, Andy, for this most comprehensive, positive and encouraging review, on the strength of which I've just pre-ordered a green one from Hattons (still at £78 :rolleyes: ).

And I was a chap who said 'Oh dear, a 2-EPB! I'll wait for the 2-HAP that I want! However, if this sells like hot cakes, perhaps Bachmann will be encouraged to offer a 2-HAP before too long! Buying an EPB could just make it HAPpen!

On the other hand, I could buy DC HAPs from Charlie and chassis from Replica and do so modelling .....!

Kent Coast 1959 just got a whole lot better!

Richard

Thanks a lot Andy.:angry: You should be banned from this forum. Now I'm going to have to buy one of these as well :yahoo:

Super description & some great photos.Thanks.

I can just hear the credit card. "Oh no not again ":cry:

Guest Belgian

Does a 2-HAP use the same motor brake second as the EPB? Also does it use the same trailer composite as the DEMUs? If so, since Bachmann are making the diesels for Kernow, it should be a simple matter of just pairing them up to produce a HAP (I mean for Bachmann to do, it would be somewhat expensive to buy a DEMU and an EPB and throw away the spare cars!!!!)

Many Thanks Andy, for your close-up pics, and comprehensive review :good_mini:

I'm sure you were tempted to trial-run it, before prising it apart. Thanks again, for resisting.

This model, can, IMO, be considered 'A work of professional modelmakers' art'.

Cheers All.

Whats the differance in a EPB & HAP ?:help:

Cheers

James

The trailer car of the 2-HAP unit was part fitted with three compartments(1st class) which were at the driving end, this was separated with two toilets to the other half, which was open.

As only the one car had toilet facilities, it became known as Half A Pi$$er.

Does a 2-HAP use the same motor brake second as the EPB? Also does it use the same trailer composite as the DEMUs? If so, since Bachmann are making the diesels for Kernow, it should be a simple matter of just pairing them up to produce a HAP (I mean for Bachmann to do, it would be somewhat expensive to buy a DEMU and an EPB and throw away the spare cars!!!!)

The first batch of BR Standard 2 Hap units (6001-42) had motor coaches virtually identical (apart from gear ratio) to the higher-numbered BR Standard 2 EPBs (5753-5779 series) as modelled by Bachmann. Lower numbered BR 2 EPBs had a different roof layout on the Motor Brake Second (Third when built).

The body shell of the DEMU driving trailer composite as found on the Hampshire units was basically the same as a 2 Hap though the interiors differed slightly as tid hte roof and inner end, and probably other minor differences too.

I think Bachmann would be mad not to do a Hap. One in this livery would look nice.

The trailer car of the 2-HAP unit was part fitted with three compartments(1st class) which were at the driving end, this was separated with two toilets to the other half, which was open.

As only the one car had toilet facilities, it became known as Half A Pi$$er.

So they are basically the same as an EPB but with a toilet ? thanks for info

Cheers

James

Reading Southernman46's recent post in the 'Bachmann 4EPB' thread, where he spotted that the Blue version had it's cars' running numbers intersposed on the wrong vehicles....led me to ask here....

Has any one checked out the Green unit's numbers ??

Going back to look at Andy Y's 9th pic., it appears to have the same error.

Unit 5770's MBSO should be numbered S 65384, and the DTS S 77569, if I'm not mistaken.

Unit 5770's MBSO should be numbered S 65384, and the DTS S 77569, if I'm not mistaken.

And that's what's on the model in front of me; MBSO = S65384, DTS = S77569 so that's correct isn't it?

Looking at the 9th pic, i.e. the shot of the close coupling, it appears to show the open saloon end of the Motor Brake Open Second (MBSO) with the number S 77569. The coupled Driving Trailer Second (DTS) is showing it's internal compartments, so, I'm surmising that this carries the number S 65384.

If this is so, then, it's an end over end numerical mix-up

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the 9th pic, i.e. the shot of the close coupling, it appears to show the open saloon end of the Motor Brake Open Second (MBSO) with the number S 77569. The coupled Driving Trailer Second (DTS) is showing it's internal compartments, so, I'm surmising that this carries the number S 65384.

If this is so, then, it's an end over end numerical mix-up

The centre buffer is on the DTS. This is clear from the shot of the two chassis' without bodyshells, so the coupling picture shows the number of the DTS.

Oh and the difference between a 2EPB and a 2HAP? 20MPH... Well, one of the differences anyway.

Andi

And that's what's on the model in front of me; MBSO = S65384, DTS = S77569 so that's correct isn't it?

Apologies and thanks for the clarification Andy. Also to Dagworth

On reading Dagworth's reply, and having a closer look at the roof conduit layout, your pic is indeed, showing the DTS to the left, and carrying the correct number.....Not so on the Blue one 'tho.

I've been playing with my blue ones -- they are delightful. The overall effect is superb and it has a close-coupling mechanism that, at last, actually close-couples.

A couple of very minor niggles: the interior lighting doesn't extend over the part where the motor intrudes into the passenger space so that, if you operate it in darkness, it actually looks very weird. Personally I would rather not have any interior lighting than this compromise, which looks strange to me: I shall be doing my best to turn it off without destroying the model.

The other niggle is that motor: it really is a very beefy thing, and I do wonder if it wouldn't be possible to design something that was less visually intrusive. It may well be worth the investment, especially if we're going to be seeing more multiple units (something I'm certainly hoping for -- a 2Bil, please! -- and which now seems even more likely given the initial euphoric reception given to this model).

But those were niggles: overall I think, so far, this is an utterly delightful model. Top Marks to Bachmann.

Paul

A couple of very minor niggles: the interior lighting doesn't extend over the part where the motor intrudes into the passenger space so that, if you operate it in darkness, it actually looks very weird.

The other niggle is that motor: it really is a very beefy thing, and I do wonder if it wouldn't be possible to design something that was less visually intrusive. It may well be worth the investment, especially if we're going to be seeing more multiple units (something I'm certainly hoping for -- a 2Bil, please! -- and which now seems even more likely given the initial euphoric reception given to this model).

Paul

It just means that they've accurately portrayed the removal of the bulbs which was a regular occurrance on the real thing especially on late night CX - Gillingham services between Chatham & Gillingham. ;)

Complete speculation but I think Bachmann would be very interested in Replica's low-profile chassis for use in future version of their powered passenger stock models - might explain why they haven't developed their own version ????

• RMweb Premium

It just means that they've accurately portrayed the removal of the bulbs which was a regular occurrance on the real thing especially on late night CX - Gillingham services between Chatham & Gillingham. ;)

Opportunity Nochs for a certain 3rd party. DCC controlled too.

Hope Andy won't object to some shots of the blue version?

post-7346-0-85742800-1305993673_thumb.jpg

post-7346-0-19930500-1305993691_thumb.jpg

post-7346-0-47234900-1305993697_thumb.jpg

post-7346-0-07164700-1305993703_thumb.jpg

post-7346-0-78729900-1305993708_thumb.jpg

And finally,a cautionary tale. Removing the body to fit a decoder was harder than I expected. I used some fine jewelers screwdrivers to try to prise the body sides out enough to slip card blanks in. Unfortunately, I slipped, not once, but three times. angry.gif Must be getting old. The damage is shown below - should polish out, at least on the paint. The glazing may need some aeromodeller's micromesh to sort it out, but I'll have a try with a nail glosser pad first. So take care folks...

post-7346-0-61608800-1305993714_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

If I may ask, how tightly glued in (i.e. how easily removable) is the glazing on the blue EPB. Looking at how much hassle taking it apart will be for a repaint into NSE livery (assuming it doesn't get announced as a shop Ltd End in the meantime that is!)

Archived