Modifying Airfix soldiers? Any scope?

sn

I was wondering if anybody had ever modified 1/76 scale Airfix model soldiers for use as civilians/ Drivers/Firemen etc. If so which are best adapatable figures that you've used?

I suspect somebody will have done this to some degree or other.

I was wondering if anybody had ever modified 1/76 scale Airfix model soldiers for use as civilians/ Drivers/Firemen etc. If so which are best adapatable figures that you've used?

I suspect somebody will have done this to some degree or other.

There are a truly vast number of plastic figures out there these days. It's worth checking the website www.plasticsoldierreview.com which lists the ranges available and has illustrated reviews of many sets. You may find there are figures which provide a better basis for conversion, depending on what your end object is. The Dapol (ex-Airfix) railway figure sets are good for conversion, being moulded in polystyrene and hence fairly straightforward to cut and glue using normal modelling solvents. Some of the military figure sets are moulded in plastics that do not glue easily.

Guest 009matt

1:72 or 1:76 military figures tend to be made from 'soft plastic' they won't take paint or glue easily (painting requires primer 'skin' of pva glue)and are a real pig to convert, the only feasible way really is to dip into boiling water and reshape. As was said earlier, the Dapol/airfix set are your best bet as they are 'hard plastic' whcih can be easily carved, glued, shaped, painted etcetc. If you want military figures, I use Valiant they are hard plastic, but are a bit on the big side, so keep away from anything that is to truescale! see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/100-liphook-district-mrc-blog/ about 2/3 of the way down.

Hope this helps.

Metal figures are good too, I use MOnty's(dart) and Falcon. There are some on the market that suffer from weird poses and inflated heads. The dpaol, montys and falcon do NOT suffer from this and are all in proportion.

Matt

Matt

Have a look at

http://www.plasticso....com/Index.aspx

to have a look in the box. Airfix RAF, USAAF and Luftwafe Personnel are always popular, as are railway specific Dapol sets, Caesar have realeased some partisans which may prove useful if disarmed and the Pegasus goldminers may have some posibilities. Everybody who paints them recommends washing them in water with a drop of washing up liquid and then giving them a prime in dilute pva glue. http://www.rapid-fir...sticfigures.htm gives a paining tutorial for military figures but the principle is the same. Valiant miniatures are easy to convert but alas IMHO about 10% too big for mixing with other 00 figures which is a great shame.

• 4 weeks later...

From what I remember, the Airfix people were made from a strange plastic that was an absolute POB* to persuade anything to stick to - even paint!

*Female offspring of pre-deceased porcine parents

I seem to remember reading somewhere that painting them with a thin coat of PVA adhesive first (and letting it dry!) enables the paint to stick - I haven't tried it myself. It maybe that PVA will stick to it better than paint. However, as for gluing them I've no idea what would work - certainly ordinary glues don't like the stuff.

Stu

I have tried with Airfix figures in the past something similiar with limited results. They need to be cleaned in washing up liquid first, before been painted with white primer.

So far i have had a go with Airfix RAF personnel for use as general workmen. I have a couple of the Airfix 1/76 british tank transporters. My plan eventually is too build and paint them as used by commercial companies.

I would recommend looking at white metal wargaming figures in 20mm scale. These are not necessary that cheap ??2-3 for 3-4 figures. But are useful for a little diorama.

Stowage ie boxes and crates carried by tanks, can also be purchased. These make an extra source of clutter for around the station.

Moorlander.

Archived