Cross Street - Urban N Gauge

bmthtrains - David

Hi David. Interesting problem.

I can't think that the weather would cause that much issue. It's not overly hot, so although it would dry quicker, I doubt it would be quick enough to cause the problems you are experiencing.

Could it be the brand of PVA is different? Have you made up the mixture differently?

Hi Simon,

Its the same ballast, same PVA, same washing up liquid added in same proportions. I thought about the weather in that as its hot in my dining room (26 degrees), whether it is drying before its properly seeped through the ballast.

Hopefully the scenic cement sprayed on will fix it down. Its not like it all comes off when you shake it, the hoover on full blast doesn't touch it, but if you poke it, it crumbles. Odd, and annoying!

David

I had the same problem on my layout and found that giving it time to settle after the first drying session then going over it again helped. I did a test piece of ballasting on balsa wood and it did go crumbley so perhaps the Balsa extracts the moisture from the glue quicker than normal?

Hi David

If the balsa isn't sealed it will absorb the glue almost instantly and i'm sure when i've done it in the past if you add more glue to the ballast it will eventually seep right through the balsa and leak out? I have had the same problem on a previous layout, i'm sure i just did several passes of glue over a few hours, sort of little and often.

Graham.

I am remembering today why Ring Road didn't have any points on the scenic section - because in N gauge they are a nightmare!!!

The scenic cement (genius product!) has done the trick on the ballast, but having suitably cleaned the rails after weathering, I now find that 2 of the 3 points just don't want to play ball.

Scraped, polished, cleaned, vacuumed until I want to throw the whole thing out the window, the usual inexplicably small mote of dust/paint is stopping the blades from making contact, so locos are stalling as they go over.

The blade surfaces have no visible dirt on them, yet the briefest of touches with a knife, moving the blade what seems to be about an atom's width, and everything runs fine again.

To all N gaugers - any tips on getting these blasted things working properly again? At this rate, the layout will be ripped up and points forever banished to non-scenic sections!

David

• RMweb Gold

I always found tweaking the blade over a bit, trying to roll the rail over almost, worked on their 009 points and even on temperamental OO ones. Grasp the blade in the end of tweezers and just rock them towards the rail it closes with. Works for me but careful not to rip them out of the tie bar.

Hi David.

I share your frustrations with N gauge pointwork and ballasting. I used point motors with frog polarity control, and these control the power on the points/ point blades. I found this a much better solution than relying on contact made by the point blades.

A similar setup can be created using a switch mounted to the bottom on the point motor, and wired suitably for polarity control.

Well perseverance has certainly paid off, and trains are moving smoothly at last!

Paul's tip of rolling the blade slightly worked on the points, the motors are working beautifully, and the two circuits of track are now joined together (the storage sidings will be added at a later date when funds allow), so I can now really push on with the scenics.

Ballast is now stuck (!!) and sprayed a basic track dirt colour. My next jobs are:

• Install the final point motor
  • Tidy wires under the baseboard
  • Add the wooden outer ends to box in the layout
  • Construct the viaduct sides
  • Build the station platform
  • Detail the track, add lineside, signals and OHLE equipment

For now, I can at least run some trains!

Here's a quick vid:

David

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTdsWZ65YsQ&hd=1

• Like 3

Well this is really starting to look like a layout at last!

I have started cutting shapes for the backscene (this will be another bespoke printed affair when I can afford it!), and the station platform is now in place. I've also cut a basic template for me to use to start designing the platform canopy with - this is going to be tricky as it is curved, and needs to be well constructed as it is quite visible on the layout.

The N gauge show is going to be a wallet-breaker this year I think, I have a long list of detailing bits I need for both lineside and the station, but that A1 is seemingly on its way to the stands...

David

post-6666-0-73380800-1314899282_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

And to reward myself for having done so many 'boring' bits to the layout recently, I've started making the station waiting room, complete with vending machines outside (which are 11mm tall!). This will sit under the platform canopy - which will now be my next task, having realised that I can't do the viaduct sides until I have made the bridges at either end, as this will determine the number of arches I need.

David

post-6666-0-09149100-1314907209_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-81529400-1314907245_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Mike,

They're a mix of photos and graphics (as with most of my card constructions!). The trickiest thing I think I'll have to make for the station is going to be the little departure screens - whether the old CRT TV-style monitors, or the newer dot-matrix ones, they're going to be very small indeed!

N gauge show imminent, but this week I'm hoping to get most of the viaduct sides done, as I should be coming home with armfuls of track side detailing and OHLE goodies!

Here's a general shot with the dummy buildings in place, gives an impression of how things will eventually look.

David

post-6666-0-12908500-1315156205_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Stephen, I hadn't thought of that actually, although I have to say this 3D printing thing has completely passed me by. Although stunned by what some people are producing (Paul's lovely N gauge tube stock for example), I think I'm definitely an old fashioned modeller, even given the vast amount of graphical work I do on the computer. That the day is coming when you can simply say, "I'll have 3 of those please" and your 3D home printer makes perfect components for you just doesn't have the fun and challenge of building something yourself from scratch.

David

Hi David;

I'd go for the CRT version. Consider a 4mm 'square of plasticard and countersink a 3mm hole into it. Paint the colour of choice...then fill the countersink with pva/clearglaze etc to become the screen. Add a post to mount or suspend the thing and you're done. I know that the hole will be round...and if it bothers you then a frame can be built for the front edge.

Lifted from the suggestion of scrap washing machines on a 'OO' layout.....but can't remember the name!!!

Later;

STU from EGDL

Later...

This layout it providing me with inspiration for when I downsize to n scale. You mentioned that you will not be able to run your Pendolino - is this because of the curves? Would a four coach Pendolino run? I want to future proof the layout for whenever the Pendolino is released. Your Pendolino is excellent - I am jealous!!

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

the TV type display things are quite easy to build just with some bits of plasticard filed to shape:

SI853874.jpg

I'd imagine the more modern type could be made by printing the screen and sticking it to a shape piece of plasticard like on a computer monitor:

SI854123.jpg

The more modern type are a bit too flash for Gresby but it should work well enough (I painted it after I stuck the paper screen on so I didn't have the white edge of the paper on it)

Looking forward to seeing the station develop!

Simon

• Like 2