Cross Street - Urban N Gauge

bmthtrains - David

Brilliant stuff, superb to see N gauge getting used to its full benefit in a smallish space, you've superbly captured the feel for a modern built up environment.

The observation and standard of buildings is what makes it for me, a nice and correct mixture of old and new just really does give the right feel.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to some very handy photos from Pete

Your welcome David - the structure looks a lot more coherent now and I really like the re-bar protruding from the concrete - great stuff!

Thanks Pete, site coming along well now, I've completed the ground work and fencing, and have started adding a few details - pipes, site offices etc. Needs some construction workers and a couple of vehicles now. My lovely laser cut scaffolding seems to have gone walkabout on its journey from Japan - Japan Mail sent it to Tokyo airport and gave it to DHL who flew it into Birmingham airport, who then inexplicably gave the parcel to Yodel - formerly known as Home Delivery Network, a misnomer in every word, who only deliver Monday-Friday when I'm at work, won't leave it without a signature, and conveniently have their nearest depot in Yeovil...

Will prob re-order it and have it sent to work as it will be cheaper than driving to Yeovil and back!

David

post-6666-0-73448400-1328124581_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-78073200-1328124616_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-47201000-1328124652_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I've been slowly working on a couple of details for the layout - the birds on a few of the roof tops helping to add a bit of life to the scene, the lovely TV antenna from Gold Medal Models in the States, and finally the beautiful but horrendously fiddly to build scaffolding I imported via Plaza Japan. I've only made one segment yet, and have wrapped it in a fine mesh material to represent the safety sheet. Pleased how the building site is coming on now.

David

post-6666-0-73262200-1328565001_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-37690400-1328564896_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-70131100-1328564932_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-28891900-1328564968_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-19125700-1328565036_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Deffiatly impressed :D

Just a few hundred of the winged vermin to go to give it that inner urban feel! :P

The scaffolding looks brilliant, though you clearly have a lot of patience to put it all together! The aerial as well is a brilliant little feature that makes a big impact on the scene :D

Regards

Lee :D

• RMweb Gold

Coming on nicely David

One more thing...Perhaps make a square base for the tower crane to sit on...they normally cast a square pad foundation to bolt it to and after this becomes covered by the groundworks/landscaping afterwards...I will try and dig out a photo and send you if you wish.

Pete

Thanks all!

Pete, any photos much appreciated - the crane won't be stuck to the layout due to its fragility, but a nice concrete slab 'box' for it to sit on would be good, I can probably weight it too to keep it upright. Shouldn't be too hard to make.

If I remember rightly, both the chimney pots and the birds are from Langley. I've got another 3 scaffolding pieces to make up, though might not use them all to be honest, as I want to be able to see into the building as its full of construction details (not that they are very visible!). Its a lovely kit, but extremely fine, very impressed with what can be done with this laser cutting gadgety machine thing!

Next job is the storage sidings at the rear, then finding a nice plant vehicle for the construction site.

David

How about using Lego to hold the crane down? (Not the Duplo size though - they break apart more easily than the normal small stuff so small fingers can play with them.)

Sorry - not a fan of magnets around electronics!

Edited by artizen

• RMweb Premium

You could always attach a spike to the base of the crane to feed into the block underneath thus creating a "foundation pile" of sorts...be a bit like a "crane candle" on a birthday cake !!

Edited by Grafarman

Constantly amazed by all the well thought out details on this layout.

Agree with Gloucester here.... you just see stuff and think 'that looks right' and 'that looks right'. Superbly observed, stuff that a lot if not most modellers, certainly not in N gauge, would even consider bothering with.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all!

Layout is away for a while now, but been working on a few extra details to attach next week. First up is the bus stop to go by the station entrance. There's an open bit of pavement here that needed something extra, so I'm assuming there is a side road or pull-in here for buses and taxis.

This started off as a Tomix basic shelter that was used on Ring Road. I've resprayed it and added glazing panels and suitable signage. Very small, but with a couple of passengers waiting in it, should make a nice little scene.

post-6666-0-28220100-1329561285_thumb.jpg

Also today, my double set of 86s arrived - now Dapol have released a dummy, I can finally justify buying a powered one to work as a pair on the freightliner trains. The dummy has the newer pantograph, which is a lot better, so I'll replace the other one. The printing isnt as good though, the yellow lettering could have done with another few layers, its much thinner in colour than the powered version. Very nice pair though, looking forward to testing them out, and a bargain at £100 for the pair from Hattons.

David

post-6666-0-11544200-1329561412_thumb.jpg

Great little alterations on the bus stop...It's good to see a kit and be able to think of ways to enhance it :D

The 86 pair is brilliant! I tend to get a daily dose of the real thing walking the dog, and I'd love got get myself a pair in the near future (that would mean another layout though :paint:)

Shame the lettering isn't as strong but I guess a light dusting of weathering will distract people noticing the shortfall. It's not rare to see one clean (yes they do exist!) and one dirty around here.

Looking forward to seeing these two additions on the layout :D

Regards

Lee :)