Cross Street - Urban N Gauge

bmthtrains - David

Wow what a cracking layout,can't believe it's N gauge.That Japanese scaffolding looks really fiddly and it's not used in the UK.There are system type scaffolds but none have that amount of bracing.If I might suggest having a look on YOU TUBE at scaffolding in the UK you will see what I mean.Could I also suggest some handrails on the floors of the building site or edge protection as it's now called.The local HSE would have a field day on your site!!Please take this as helpful criticism.The rest of the layout is superb so getting the small details right can only make it better!!

Edited by robbostrains

Almost there now! Just need to finish off the crane scene in the building site, then complete the 'behind the scenes' jobs, and Cross Street will be pretty much done.

My Dapol 86 pair has had a good run in now - very nice, much better runners than my previous Dapol stock, so quite impressed. Print job on the dummy isn't as good as the powered version, but surprised to find it has working lights!

Here's how its all looking.

David

post-6666-0-09892800-1330002320_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-48938800-1330002385_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-91556100-1330002481_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-40610900-1330002604_thumb.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxr_faQNuIQ&hd=1

• Like 18

For a bit of fun, here's a set of comparison shots to show the evolution of the layout from concept to (near) completion. What I find interesting is that just as with Ring Road, the finished layout is pretty much identical to the original idea. I seem to work in this way, come up with a concept, then no matter how many times I tweak it or try to improve it, I always come back to the first idea that grabbed me!

This is the original 1:7 scale card mock up that I still have, showing approximate sizes of buildings and the location of roads and the station. The only major difference is at this stage the station was an island with a central single line bay, which changed to an island with a passing freight loop.

post-6666-0-15050200-1330019501_thumb.jpg

This shot is a photograph of the full size layout print out with the track printed again onto card to make a temporary viaduct. Card shapes were added to approximate buildings, and then the photo was lightly altered on the computer to further visualise the idea. Again, this has the older station idea, but the Palace Hotel is already mocked up in the spot it now occupies.

post-6666-0-59469000-1330019528_thumb.jpg

And finally how the layout looks today, from roughly the same angle.

post-6666-0-74801700-1330020302_thumb.jpg

Pleased how this has turned out, better than I expected it to given the space constraints, and once the fiddle yard is live, I can happily run trains all day. Now if only Farish would hurry up and get that 350 into the shops...

Next project after this will be much smaller, though will sound familiar - a railway running on a viaduct through an urban scene...only this time in a very small space with very tight curves and sharp gradients - a bit of the DLR...

David

• Like 10

Thanks Ben,

Plan is to enjoy running my fleet round it mostly! The layout is being filmed for a DVD on Monday, but no plans to exhibit at the moment - might do a couple depending on where any invites come from, but it was really built to play with at home. Once its 100% complete there's a magazine interested in featuring it, then I'll make a start on my Docklands Light Railway micro-layout. I might also send an article up to the NGS Journal. I also need to (finally) make something small to run my 2 OO gauge shunters on from my aborted attempt to switch scales. I want to keep my hand in modelling, so I think small dioramas will keep me occupied for a few years now.

One day in the future if I move somewhere bigger, I'll set about creating a full exhibition layout I think - probably a sort of 'Ring Road 2' on a larger scale, full-on WCML action again. Tentative plans for that already exist, as do those long delayed plans for modelling HS2 - much easier now the final route has been published...

David

• RMweb Gold

Love the simplicty of what you have created (and your Dad's layout a few pages back). Enjoy running your trains. In fact i'm sure some posts about how you find it to operate would go down well.

Out of interest, something that i'm sure a lot of people on here would be interested in is a more step by step guide to how you do your buildings, so if and when you do one of the dioramas have a think about that.

Is the dummy 86 missing the Inergen Fire Suppresant Tanks?

Checked the pictures on the Hattons Website which would seem to confirm this.

Oh dear;

Guess I'll be renumbering a powered F/L 86 then!!!

What about the Railfreight version..although less critical.

Later...;

STU from EGDL