Cross Street - Urban N Gauge

bmthtrains - David

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear;

Guess I'll be renumbering a powered F/L 86 then!!!

What about the Railfreight version..although less critical.

Later...;

STU from EGDL

I reckon the loco depicted by Dapol (86628 IIRC) it should have a pair of pale grey extinguishers mounted longitudinally.

See here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lmderek/5661953310/

I wondered whether it only had them fitted recently, but here is a photo of the loco with them in Freightliner 3TG livery, suggesting it's had them the whole time it's been in green: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60628514@N02/6791102493/

I'll probably just fabricate some from Evergreen rod or tube - I did that on a TPM Class 87 kit and was reasonably happy with the results.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent work David.

I really enjoyed to see the 3 comparison shots and it demonstrates the usefulness of a small scale model prior to starting out.

I have enjoyed to see this layout thread develop into the finished model and I hope you have a lot of fun and success with it.

I look forward to see your next project.

Pete

Thanks for the kind comments everyone, always encouraging to know people have enjoyed reading this thread - I've certainly enjoyed building the layout, and this one will certainly be for keeps, no breaking this one up, even when "the next one" ends up being planned...

Here's a few shots from this evening's test run, and happily all locos working correctly for once, not a single running issue!

David

post-6666-0-09990100-1330291178_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-63636800-1330291213_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-21178700-1330291248_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-96603700-1330291287_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-37065000-1330291324_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-05164900-1330291360_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-10226900-1330291392_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-38654600-1330291429_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

I reckon the loco depicted by Dapol (86628 IIRC) it should have a pair of pale grey extinguishers mounted longitudinally.

See here: http://www.flickr.co...rek/5661953310/

I wondered whether it only had them fitted recently, but here is a photo of the loco with them in Freightliner 3TG livery, suggesting it's had them the whole time it's been in green: http://www.flickr.co...N02/6791102493/

I'll probably just fabricate some from Evergreen rod or tube - I did that on a TPM Class 87 kit and was reasonably happy with the results.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben;

Saw the same pics (probably) and came to the same conclusion. Dave has inferred that he may get some made....but they are easy enough to fabricate anyway.

And congratulations to David on finishing the layout....very inspiring.

(Apologies for slight thread hijack!!!)

Later;

STU from EGDL

• 3 weeks later...

Unusually for me, I've made a purchase, and now have to decide how to fit it onto the layout. I usually plan things in advance and decide "I want one of those there", and then go off to make/search the item I need.

When browsing the marvelous laser-cut card kits Sankei make however (they made the superb scaffolding I used on the building site), I came across a couple of items that I knew I just had to have. Where these go on the layout, and indeed if they do (if not, they will certainly make an appearance elsewhere - perhaps on the DLR diorama), I am not sure, but they are utterly superb.

Two of the three items have been made up (the third is a small food stall, which needs some very tiny English signs made up for it first) - a set of street benches, and some children's playground equipment. I will let the photos do the talking here, and remember their size - note the pound coin behind them...

David

post-6666-0-22076500-1332184483_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Here's the food stand, now a Wall's ice cream stand (I added my own signs rather than the supplied Japanese ones) - this will be going next to the museum, so its really just the play equipment that needs a home now. I will have a search for any possible spot when I've got the layout down next week.

Note the size of the kit compared to the knife used to make it!

David

post-6666-0-57293100-1332190157_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

These look really good; you have certainly done an impressive job assembling these.

I have just put togther a couple of Sankei building kits for my layout. They have been on my radar for a couple of years now, and are really nice models to construct. Despite being card kits, the card they use is very high quality and pretty forgiving.

I have concentrated on buildings at present, but am looking at the various range of small detailing bits which bring a layout to life. Looking at your completed models, the kits look to fare well to the ravages of construction...how were they to construct?

Another question, what glue did you use for the finer models? I used a mixture of types depending on what I was constructing - i.e. copydex for joining the inner and outer walls, normal adhesive applied with a fine screwdriver for the smaller bits.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus

I used superglue for these - but then I generally use superglue for everything! I don't have the best use of my hands (gripping is a problem so using a pencil or painting with a brush for long periods is quite painful), and fell into using superglue as it means I don't have to hold on to fiddly things for long.

They make up so nicely into beautiful models - to be honest I could quite easily just collect them all and do a Japanese themed diorama. What I'd really like is for someone to have a go at making UK prototypes with the same process - much cheaper than metal etching.

The layout is out again today for some more minor detailing work (and if I can find the enthusiasm, more wiring in the storage yard), so here are a few snaps of the finished Sankei items in place, a couple of the finished station area (complete with bench, post box and bus shelter outside), and some general shots before the light faded too much this evening.

Scenically, there is barely anything left to do now, so Cross Street is ready to be photographed for its magazine appearance, though I'm waiting for the Farish 350 to be released first, as the layout was designed specifically for it, so makes sense to have it running on the layout during its five minutes of fame.

David

post-6666-0-89891100-1332441068_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-59408300-1332441177_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-65870600-1332441107_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-97564600-1332441143_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-71564800-1332441206_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-83237600-1332441267_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-94027700-1332441302_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-09698100-1332441338_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-90068100-1332441371_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Being ultra-picky about the new acquisitions, wouldn't modern swings have that dark safety surface underneath them, so that any little darlings bounce rather than smash? And most modern slides are kind of built into a hill, so there's no danger of falling over the edge and plummeting onto concrete. What we need is a playground equipment expert.

It's all looking brilliant by the way.

Being ultra-picky about the new acquisitions, wouldn't modern swings have that dark safety surface underneath them, so that any little darlings bounce rather than smash?

I've gone for the bright pink bouncy macadam surface under the whole area, so the n gauge children shouldnt hurt themselves!

David

• Like 1

Guest 40-something

Being ultra-picky about the new acquisitions, wouldn't modern swings have that dark safety surface underneath them, so that any little darlings bounce rather than smash? And most modern slides are kind of built into a hill, so there's no danger of falling over the edge and plummeting onto concrete. What we need is a playground equipment expert.

It's all looking brilliant by the way.

They are actually building a new childrens playpark across from my work and Im surprised to see that there is no black safety surface, it has a green and yellow surface that I reckon is the same rubbery material. The new slide/chute is freestanding too.

• Like 1

Feeling quite chuffed this evening (excuse the pun) - Nigel Crow dropped off the finished new volume of his MSIM DVD series, which is a modern image N gauge compilation, and it has both Ring Road and Cross Street on it.

His super photography aside, I'm actually really impressed with how good the layout looks. I'm not one for blowing my own trumpet, but seeing it on the DVD Cross Street looks huge and really captures the urban feel I wanted. Oddly, it looks better than in either a photo or in real life - the movement of trains makes it, and of course when I sit in front of the layout, I see it along with the rest of the dining room. In the DVD you just see the model, so looks even better.

Ring Road looks positively prehistoric compared to it on the screen, so I'm also pleased with how my skills have evidently come forward. Great DVD overall though, the superb Stoney Lane Depot and Law Junction are of course on there, and I'm also looking forward to seeing the Glenthroes North Junction layout in the flesh. Or maybe not, it's giving me ideas....

David

David,

I am more than just fascinated by your Cross Street layout - I am in love with it!

A friend of mine donated his Z scale layout to me. Unfortunately, I have no room to put this layout, other than stashing it away in our attic, where it slowly rots away.

I have decided to dismantle it, salvage all bits and pieces and build a new layout.

Turning this:

P1020330.jpg

into this:

Z-ANLAGE6.jpg

Cross Street will have to be renamed into "Kaiserstrasse", as the layout will be set in present-day Germany.

Do I have your permission to copy your design?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's been a month since I lasted posted - there's been no visible progress as the layout is effectively complete (still not wired up those outer storage tracks though!), but I got the layout out again today as the weather outside means its far safer having a morning in than braving the wind and rain.

I'm taking the time to 'review' the overall effect of the layout, so that as I'm writing an article on its concept and design, I can be properly honest with myself as to how well it met my initial expectations. The only thing I now regret is not splitting it over 2 smaller baseboards - it would then have been properly portable, and I wouldn't have to keep saying no to all the exhibition requests I'm getting!

My thoughts are also turning to what I enjoy about the hobby, and that's definitely building layouts, far more so than operating them, so though in no mood to launch into something else straight away, I am thinking hard about what to build next, as my modelling hands are getting itchy...

A couple of snapshots from this morning:

David

post-6666-0-54307600-1335703832_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-16381600-1335703845_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-78924800-1335703880_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-21935700-1335703915_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

David,

I am sure that given your level of skill you could go professional (or semi professional) as a layout builder. You have a knack for design and construction and I am sure that if you advertised your services then people would be interested. If you enjoy building layouts more than operating them, then perhaps this is something to consider.

David,

Each time I read through your thread I spot something different in the details of the buildings or the landscape. This is an excellent layout - I plan to build an urban layout next and if it is half as good at this I'll be very pleased. Inspirational and challenging stuff.

Trev

Thanks all,

I think I will always model some form of urban area, though not necessarily as build up as Cross Street. And I think id go mad doing this for a living, strictly a hobby for me!

Anyway, some unexpected modelling today, I decided I wasn't happy with the platform lamps so swapped them for some much finer versions. You can see the contrast below. I also added one last passenger, and gave him an iPhone to hold! Farish 350 due soon, cant wait to get it running on the layout - it was designed for it!

David

post-6666-0-35129800-1336165739_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-09739400-1336165979_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-09945300-1336165853_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-28258200-1336165924_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Guest Moria

Awesome David. Congrats.

I have a break from modelling and you go and build and finish a brand new layout. Sheesh! :)

Are you sure that's an iPhone? looks a bit more like a playbook from here :)

Regards

Graham

Edited by Moria

• 4 weeks later...

The other week I decided to add a couple of unusual trains to my collection, and wanting a little modelling project to keep me busy for a few evenings, I thought i'd have a go at a short Royal Train in time for the Jubilee weekend.

The 2nd Modern Locomotives Illustrated Annual has a nice article on the train, with very handy close up photos of the different coaches, and since Adam does some excellent vinyls in his Electra range, I picked 4 coaches and had a go. 3Mk3s and 1 Mk2 were stripped with brasso, then the roofs and underframes painted grey, with the bogie springs picked out in colour. The vinyls went on very easily, with a little pen round the edges to hide the white, and I added some curtains inside to match the photos in the book.

Once Cross Street is back down next week, I will take some shots of it running a Jubilee special!

David

post-6666-0-71702400-1338225661_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-97764000-1338225692_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-15222300-1338225720_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-54538800-1338225745_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-19887300-1338225772_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-87849300-1338225799_thumb.jpg

• Like 7