Cross Street - Urban N Gauge

bmthtrains - David

• 5 weeks later...

With my birthday being tomorrow, I had a massive surprise present when my parents visited today, the stunning Farish Midland Pullman! While obviously totally out of my era, and with no preserved examples around, it will nonetheless take pride of place in my collection as it is a model I have just wanted to have ever since it was announced. It really is an utterly stunning model, I think the finest I have ever seen in N gauge, if not beyond.

An afternoon running in on Cross Street was in order, and it just looks beautiful.

Does mean I have to reorganise my loco display shelves again though!

David

post-6666-0-17566900-1359140289_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-28630800-1359140259_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-17720300-1359140231_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• 4 months later...

Thanks guys!

I've reached a natural pause point with the layout now, and having completely re-organised my storage cupboards this week (after a handy trip to Ikea), the layout is now away for a while. It all fits neatly into the dining room cupboard.

attachicon.gifDSC_02131.jpg

Unless my wayward Tornado returns from Farish in the meantime, the next time the board will be out will be the day of the Poole show, as I should be able to pick up all the station details I need to finish that area of the layout.

Until then, I've measured the 'plots' for the next 4 buildings, and so can be making steady progress with these. I'm expecting these to take a while though, as they are full relief, and will need basic interiors. I'm also going to be highly critical of them as they will be in the foreground and need to be even better than the buildings I have already made.

Yesterday I went down to visit my parents, and saw my Dad's new N gauge layout for the first time. There's a lot of detailing work to do yet, but I'm posting a photo here just to show yet again how much you can fit into a small space in N - this board is the same dimensions as Cross St, just with a very different location and era!

David

attachicon.gifDSC_02071.jpg

HI great little layout I must say tho I love your dads layout I like the idea of watching trains go by in the country ps anymore pics lol

cheers

• 11 months later...

Its been over a year since I lasted posted on this thread, and these will probably be the final photos of Cross Street as I am going to put it up for sale. How and where exactly I'm not sure yet, but my decorating plans for the flat revolve around the removal of the huge cupboard Cross Street lives in, so sadly, it has to go.

I've taken a few video shots as well which I will upload later, but thoroughly enjoyed what was probably my last running day on the layout. It was a pleasure to build, and I am already looking forward to its eventual replacement - though this may be some years in the future now. 

David

post-6666-0-56700700-1401015980_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-93754800-1401015983_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-10630700-1401015986_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-36013500-1401015988_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-41757600-1401015989_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-01757300-1401015991_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-97934300-1401015992_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-23013800-1401015995_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys.

Just to let you all know i'm the new owner for Cross Street and its arrived safely in the North of England. Once i get some free time at the end of the month i will have her up and running again and will be posting some images.

Special thanks to Dave for allowing me to buy such wonderful piece of work.

Gav.

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

A fantastic layout you have built and now sold, and an inspiration to my modelling as I am going to build something very similar to yours as part of my new layout project. Your old layout's curves at either end must be very tight with the boards just only over 2ft wide, so did you have to be careful taking your trains at a slow speed round the corners to prevent derailment?

Sam

Edited by sammyboy

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

STOP PRESS. Cross Street has a new owner - me.

I am now arranging for it to be transported from Lancashire to Wiltshire with a view to it making its exhibition debut at Trainwest.

I don't have any firm plans for the layout after that, so if you want to see Cross Street in action you will have to come to the show.

Geoff Endacott

• Like 7