Farish Class 14

bmthtrains - David

I have the Parkwood resin body but wasn't up to chopping up a Minitrix V60. So Herman the red diesel still creeps around my bit of track.

I'm hoping for at least one, possibly two to double-head Earle's chalk train through Stepney.

That's Stepney in Hull, not the other one. :O)

Chris

• 9 months later...

E-mail from our Bachmann Rep. this morning states that the following have now arrived and that despatch to shops will begin today.

372-951 Class 14 Diesel BR Green “Weatheredâ€

372-952 Class 14 Diesel BR Blue with Wasp Stripes

E-mail from our Bachmann Rep. this morning states that the following have now arrived and that despatch to shops will begin today.

372-951 Class 14 Diesel BR Green “Weatheredâ€

372-952 Class 14 Diesel BR Blue with Wasp Stripes

Hi there, do these have a DCC socket?

SSE

"The computer says no"...well at least the Farish website does, by not having the DCC loco next to the item. Its usually spot on for descriptions. However there must surely be room in there for one but it will be a diy job.

At The N Gauge Show in September Colin Allbright said that given the narrowness of the bonnets there was simply no room avaialble for a decoder socket. I suspect that this will not stop some of the more capable finding a way to locate and hard-wire a chip somewhere though (Cab?).

Regards

Roy

I dispute the "simply no room avaialble" argument. You don't need to make room for a socket and decoder. Why doesn't Bachfar just go for factory DCC on the lighting board as standard like most of the retooled Bachmann Spectrum range? The Spectrum GE 44t switcher is smaller than a class 14 and is only available with factory DCC. You can't buy a non-DCC version.

The argument that non-DCC people are paying for something they won't use doesn't hold because it actually costs more to produce two different circuit boards, inflating the price of the non-DCC version above that which it would be if the model was available as DCC only.

Anyway, the clever Germans manage to fit decoders into 30 year old Z scale locos so fitting one into a class 14 should be possible.

Cheers

David

• RMweb Gold

Just picked up 14029 in Rail Blue from Trains4U - not had a proper look yet but appears absolutely superb. Comes with full bufferbeam pipes and relacement end plate if you want to ditch the Rapido.

Here's a few pictures to whet the appetite...

post-7123-011865600 1288451437_thumb.jpg

post-7123-043951700 1288451479_thumb.jpg

I dispute the "simply no room avaialble" argument. You don't need to make room for a socket and decoder.

You do if you want to make it DCC ready...

As it stands, the 03 and 08 can easily be fitted with hardwired decoders and I suspect the 14 will be the same (probably right down to the pocket left for a small decoder in the case of the 08).

The argument that non-DCC people are paying for something they won't use doesn't hold because it actually costs more to produce two different circuit boards, inflating the price of the non-DCC version above that which it would be if the model was available as DCC only.

Given that both the 03 and 08 don't actually have circuit boards (and I'd suspect the same of the 14...)...

You do if you want to make it DCC ready...

No you don't if you add the DCC at the factory. Making something "DCC ready" means making room for plastic packaging and pins surrounding the chip and a dummy decoder to allow it to run on DC. The actual DCC chip itself it miniscule. If there is directional lighting anywhere inside, there is already room for factory DCC.

Don't make it "DCC ready". Make with DCC as standard.

Bachmann is already putting factory DCC in locos smaller than the 14. The GE 44t switcher is only available in this form.

Cheers

David

The DCC thing surprises me - the Parkwood resin one fits a German mechanism which squashes a flywheel and dcc socket into the space which will take small decoders.

I wonder if it's a case of "couldn't fit in the big fat Bachmann decoder" ....

Looks a beauty but I already have Parkwood ones.

• RMweb Premium

I dispute the "simply no room avaialble" argument. You don't need to make room for a socket and decoder. Why doesn't Bachfar just go for factory DCC on the lighting board as standard like most of the retooled Bachmann Spectrum range? The Spectrum GE 44t switcher is smaller than a class 14 and is only available with factory DCC. You can't buy a non-DCC version.

Anyway, the clever Germans manage to fit decoders into 30 year old Z scale locos so fitting one into a class 14 should be possible.

Cheers

David

Totally agree with this point, wonder when the manufacturers might take such a move seriously!

• RMweb Premium

Something that strikes me about this model is the width of the wheels. I assume that these are standard width N gauge but In the photo's they look wrong. I recognise that there is very little that could be done about this in N and that the photos are enlargements on the real model so are even cruller than it would be in real life.

Looking at the photos it's hard to tell if the wheels are open spoked or not.

• RMweb Premium

yeah they are open spoked.. but the balance weights cover a third of the wheel - maybe that makes its look like they aint open?

No it was the angle that the photo's were taken from. I simply couldn't see through them so didn't know if there was a backing plate on them or not.

Just picked up 14029 in Rail Blue from Trains4U - not had a proper look yet but appears absolutely superb. Comes with full bufferbeam pipes and relacement end plate if you want to ditch the Rapido.

Here's a few pictures to whet the appetite...

Yep, it looks very, very, very nice apart from those massively chunky coupling rods and huge retaining bolts, and possibly undersized wheels. But I've got one on order - it's just not yet arrived. C'mon postie. B)

G.

• RMweb Premium

Totally agree with this point, wonder when the manufacturers might take such a move seriously!

Probably about the time that DC users stop being so affraid of DCC fitted locos and stop using DCC killing Relco's and do a proper job of cleaning the track instead. The price difference has also got something to do with it, although getting DCC fitted PCBs produced & populated shouldn't be that much more expensive than a DC equivalent...

Peco's DCC fitted Collet hasn't sold too well judging from the number that are still available so I suspect that the market for British outline, DCC fitted stock isn't as big as we'd like it to be.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Yep, it looks very, very, very nice apart from those massively chunky coupling rods and huge retaining bolts,

Could be far worse....could have used Phillips screws....but nobody would be that daft....

....would they? ....:lol::lol:

and possibly undersized wheels.

I await the measurements - rather than this yet to be proved speculation.

Looks a superb model. Any reports on how it's geared - low like the 04 or higher like the 08?

Cheers,

Alan

Archived