Farish Class 14

bmthtrains - David

Affectionately known by enthusiasts as 'Teddy Bears' the name was derived from the comment made by a foreman at Swindon Works who having been involved with the only GWR Pacific 'The Great Bear' decreed that they were now reduced to building Teddy Bears!

Dont know how Teddy Bears was made after a coment made from Swindon foreman, the nickname Teddy Bear didn't originate till the 1980's through a newspaper article.

As lads around Gloucester in the 1960s we called them Yogi's, due to their sad bear looks, but i dont know how localised this was, i know spotters in S. Wales didn't. I believe the railway staff always refered to them as 95er's.

Nene Valley in N, anyone...?

I'd do the Lydney to Parkend Ex_Severn & Wye branch, myself... all of it..!!! :D

Not bad looking models at all- British N scale has come on in leaps and bounds in recent years, couplers excepted.

Now all we need is the announcement of a 7mm Scale R-T-R version... :icon_lol: :icon_wow: :icon_mutter: :icon_frustrated:

Hopefully the body is mostly metal for extra mass, but looking at the two ends the larger hood / bonnet will house the motor and transmission, whilst the shorter end could house a dcc socket and decoder? I've not seen any confirmation or denial of dcc readiness.

George

• RMweb Premium

Does this mean that it will follow in OO , as Bachmann usually use the CAD for both scales?

Could we see a head-to-head with Heljan? I do hope not as it does seem to be a waste of resources.

Unlikely,as it's taken a commission to get Heljan to make one in 00.

Excellent, another interesting OO9 chassis :)

I await your plans with interest.;)

I think those are hand painted samples but considering how far advanced the model is hopefully they had already started on a 4mm one when Hattons/Heljan announced theirs and will still proceed with it. If they think its viable as a main range item in 2mm then the 4mm one should be no problem. Would save a lot of money too!

Geez, I can think of other 4mm projects more worthy than a second duplicate Class 14 in 4mm. :huh:

Also note only one went to an oil refinery - Grangemouth.

It would have been better to have produced one in NCB or British Steel livery rather than a weathered version and the somewhat restricted area of operation in blue. Once more loosing out on their main life use - as an industrial.

Another one of noterolleyes.gif was D9530 that went to Gulf Oil, Waterston, Pembrokeshire in 1969, until been sold to the NCB in 1975-82 where it worked Mardy Colliery, Maerdy. It also spent the Summer of 1971 at Swindon Works for overhaul.

I'm sure/hope their follow with later releases in NCB & BSC liveries. A few of the more interesting ideas for someone to model during industrial use could be:

D9538 operated BSC Ebbw Vale for about five years before going to Corby

D9505/26/34 working APCM cement works

D9513/31 which operated NCB British Oak at Crigglestone. An article was done by Paul Lunn in "Model Railway Planning and Design Hanbook" by Santona, also the featured layout in the 2mm Handbook.

D9510/12/29/52 which operated the High Dyke branch, very temptingrolleyes.gif . If you need inspiration just look at David F (of this Parish) excellent fotopic site for some wonderful shots of this branch, plus lots of other goodies. http://daveseastmidl...t/c1671770.html

Incorrect: Allocations

Also note only one went to an oil refinery - Grangemouth.

Not quite, there were three - D9530 went to Gulf at Milford Haven before going to the NCB and D9538 went (briefly) to Shell Haven. Not exactly representative of their later careers however.

Adam

Thanks to Trevor H, grahame (though I'm always skeptical of Wikipedia) and Adam for the additional post BR information. I have, for some reason, found it very difficult to gain info on their whereabouts post BR allocations especially on reliable dates for each move. Perhaps I need to update the allocation list :(

Sources of photographs in industrial use - especially at BS also are rare. Of course in preservation all of a sudden they do become photo targets. I think this model will be far more suited to an industrial scene (except for the poor choice of livery).

Perhaps it time to consider N gauge. :D

Years ago I used to have both US N scale and US HO & UK OO models and layouts... after a house move I had to cut back; one of the scales had to go, and as British N was nothing to shout about, the choice was quite easy at the time... These days it'd be a much harder choice to make, for sure...

I have, for some reason, found it very difficult to gain info on their whereabouts post BR allocations especially on reliable dates for each move. Perhaps I need to update the allocation list sad.gif

I know what you mean, i have quite a good account of their allocations, which i have been trying to put together too put on hear, but it's a bit of a mess and needs good sought through beforehand. The NCB locos didn't spend all their life at Ashington, but were transfered around about six different collieries around Durham and Northumberland.

Sources of photographs in industrial use - especially at BS also are rare. Of course in preservation all of a sudden they do become photo targets. I think this model will be far more suited to an industrial scene (except for the poor choice of livery).

The BSC do seem a lot more obscure, but their are a few around the web with a bit of searching. Photos are certainly required of chosen prototype as they seem to have geot a few detail changes, whilst small livery differences within the class are endless, but then they spent over 30 years in industrial use and quite a few were just used for spares.

I not sure if it was just because it got moved around the NCB NE area a lot, but D9502 was one that managed to get through its industrial life with it's BR livery still intactsmile.gif

Will endeavour to get something together.

Not quite, there were three - D9530 went to Gulf at Milford Haven before going to the NCB and D9538 went (briefly) to Shell Haven. Not exactly representative of their later careers however.

Adam

Thanks Adam, forgot to mention D9538, was sold to Shell Mex in April 70 and went via Swindon Works for some attention first, left Swindon in October for Essex. Was then sold to BSC Ebbw Vale by January 1971, moved on to Corby in 1976.

Perhaps it time to consider N gauge. :D

G.

Too small, I have trouble enough with our club's 009 layout! Anyway I am not thet desparate to have a Class 14 and certainly not at the price of the Hattons/ Heljan version!

Perversely I am quite prepared to pay nearly ??200 for a 00 works Midland 2F!

I've put together a table of D95xx history whilst in BR service.

These are from various notes I've collected from various sources over the years. Although i still have other reference material to go through and a lot more crossmatching i've put this list together.

I'ts certainly not a final list and I'm sure their will still be errors and if any one has any more information I'd be happy to update the list, one thats popped up recently is which was the other loco that was reinstated to Hereford D9509,19 or 24, without photo evidence cannot be certain, although i have some shots of D9509 & 19 stored at Canton at the time, so more likely to be D9524.

Next will work through the industrial listohmy.gif

95xx-webpage.htm

I've put together a table of D95xx history whilst in BR service. ent=9923:95xx-webpage.htm]

Hi Trevor

Further back up this thread (and on others on Class 14) I put up a link to a web page showing all the build dates and allocations during BR and withdrawl dates along with the sparse info I had on their "sold to". I put that page up on the web way back in RMWeb2 days when I did an earlier 4mm kit build thread (well started one) - I have been correcting and adding to it over the years.

Do you mind if I extract the relevant post BR history from your table to add to (correct) mine?

Hi Trevor

Further back up this thread (and on others on Class 14) I put up a link to a web page showing all the build dates and allocations during BR and withdrawl dates along with the sparse info I had on their "sold to". I put that page up on the web way back in RMWeb2 days when I did an earlier 4mm kit build thread (well started one) - I have been correcting and adding to it over the years.

Do you mind if I extract the relevant post BR history from your table to add to (correct) mine?

Hi Kenton,

No problem that what its their for, If any one wants to use or share any part there more than welcome, along with if anyone who has any info to update the list please let us know.

The list was put together and crossmatched from many reports and info collected from others over the years and I'm sure their are still many gaps to fill. I know their are other items i need to add like other storage date and sightings but the list was just covering too much space as one class.

I will do similar for the industrial stuff along with numbers carried, its just a case of putting it all together.

Cheers

I pass a blue class 14 every morning at Bardon Hill Quarry - I believe it's 14 029 - in which case it's prototypical to have one working alongside Freightliner 66s in a present day setting!

Oh no... that piece of inforation may end up in purchase by me... my bank account may soon be falling out with me blink.gif wink.gif

Very interesting and not at all expected.

Does this mean that it will follow in OO , as Bachmann usually use the CAD for both scales?

Could we see a head-to-head with Heljan? I do hope not as it does seem to be a waste of resources.

I have to disagree with that. Would rather invest in a model that worked well, and had a bit of sparkle about it. Could not bring myself to buy a Heljan standard Crompton and the Clayton simply does not have the same finesse as a Branchline or Hornby product would have. Will be waiting to see what is announced in the next 18 months or so before investing in a Hattons class 14.

Very interesting and not at all expected.

I suspect that there will not be a 00 version in this case (although I could be wrong). Given that most locos have an 18-24 month "gestation", this project was probably in the works before the Heljan version was announced. My guess is that Bachmann were planning to release it in both scales but since Heljan have pipped them to the post, they are simply going to go for a n N gauge version. This is just speculation and I could of course be wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

After reviewing some of the comments made, two of the class 14's "Teddy Bear's" were resident loco's on the KESR, I had the pleasure of driving one pulling a small freight train and once a small rake of coaches. These machines had lot's of power, excellent view of the road ETC. Sadly the owners deceided to move them on and one of them appeared on HS 1 at Breechbrook farm.

At Warley I was allowed to hold one of these models and was surprised of the weight. I asked if this was a production model and was told that the full tooling had been completed.

So like all I'm looking forward to receiving these models and yes I will have some for my own private collection.

Archived