Scots We Hae: Scottish RMWeb Layouts

Jamie

Time to kick this thing off then, with a directory of Scottish-themed layout projects on RMWeb.

Please post:

- a couple of photos copied or linked across

- a link (can be to Old RMWeb, or the Galleries, or the Blog area)

- a couple of words (only) of description

Layouts can be current, past or future... as long as there's something to see and read. And it has to be Scottish-based of course - any period, any scale. Don't apologise for photography or partial completion. It'd be boring if everything was completed and perfect.

• Like 4

Isle Ornsay, terminus of a proposed narrow gauge line on Skye. Modelled in 009 to represent nominal 2'6" gauge.

Based on details found in the National Archives of the proposal, the layout is being built up around the history up to the point where the plans were abandoned. The layout is set in the NBR operated period of 1913.

4958298780_4c1c41e34a.jpg

5680509510_0971825055.jpg

More info on my blog: http://hlrco.wordpress.com/

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

A Literal Cross-Border Layout: Deadwater Burn (old)EM

- pastiche of a real Border Counties station, in an unreal time

file.php?id=57227

24_dcc_16_1.jpg

Chapter & Verse - Original thread- how not to build a model railway!! :lol:

and saved from a fiery end, by Tockardlane who has made a great job of refurbishing it!

a 2mm start has been made in something which may one day resemble Banff, but I'm keeping fairly quiet about it for now! ;)

• Like 12

TEVIOTBANK

Change for Lessismore Bus Service

Tribute to the Waverley Route, set in its final 15 months of life....

Well Jamie, you did extend the invite to inveterate works-in-progress!

"Here are the main parameters. As a rule of thumb I'm using RTR rolling stock on proprietary 00 formation on a garage tail-chaser layout. Scenics will be home-brewed using appropriate kits, RTP if suitable, and a large helping of improvisation using prototype footage for context and flavour. The window is frozen in the last couple of timetables of the line's operational existance, so principally this sees diesels in their early transition from green to blue, fitted freights, and blue&grey/ maroon LHCS. The stock and fleet developments will be covered in the W/B blog.

The layout is split roughly in half, the focus of one side being Teviotbank, a principal station on the Route, which is also the start of a now freight-only upland branch to the hamlet of Lessismore, whose terminus is presently at the conceptual stage. The other half, and hopefully scenic section, is set in the Ale glen with classic Waverley sweeping curves and a wayside station - Midlem Road - at its scenic break. Scenery, planning and track will be covered in the Layout blog."

The layout thread can be found here, it's a wee bit 'Trials of Tre*ch' in nature, so possibly not for the easily disturbed: http://www.rmweb.co....re-bus-service/

post-7083-0-71875400-1305876534_thumb.jpg

post-7083-0-72030600-1305876838_thumb.jpg

There are blogs, for what they're worth. Masochists and the hard-of-sleeping are invited to click on the 'Chard blog tile under the WORRALLS logo.

• Like 9

Waterloo Street

Industrial scabbiness in the backstreets of Old Aberdeen

20010319_NottShow_2.jpg

Scratchbuilt bogie bolster E courtesy of Waveydavey

20110320_NottShow_10.jpg

An eclectic mix of parcels vans seeks shelter from the storm.

Vans courtesy of Waveydavey, Loco by Jub45565, Sporran courtesy Build a Sporran

Occasional updates and progress here

Waterloo Street is a 4mm/foot, 18.83mm gauge model railway inspired by the real Waterloo Goods branch that leads down to the quayside in Aberdeen. Although the atmosphere is that of the late 1970s, stock from various periods appears as takes my fancy.

• Like 14

NORTH BALLACHULISH

North Ballchulish is what might have happened if the Callander and Obans plans to extend from Oban up to Fort William and then beyond up the Great Glen to Inverness had come to fruition. The trackplan is based on what may have been at North Ballachulish after the line had crossed the mouth of Loch Leven and is to an extent inspired by Kentallen.

Its being built in P4 and set in the 1970 -71 pre Tops diesel period. Progress updates will be put regularly on the main thread on the forum:

http://www.rmweb.co....__1#entry367043

Heres a screenshot of the trackplan - revised in September to change the goods yard from facing North, to facing the South (to make more room for building the village!:

NB4.doc

LATEST UPDATE 11/11/11:

I did a layout planning demo at the Rochdale whow last weekend (5/6 Nov) all the boards up and the first stock on the layout. When it came baclk home iy moved out of the garage and into its build site, the back bedroom where it was set up. Let trackbuilding commence!

post-6679-0-57861500-1321039299_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-40900200-1321039333_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-13877700-1321039368_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andy C
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Longdrem and the Pinkhill Branch

Based outside the Edinburgh area in the 1957 - 1961 period.

It's in Layout Topics but I haven't a clue how to put a link in the site! (sorted, see below)

post-2677-0-42220100-1306145532_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-66886600-1306145553_thumb.jpg

Layout thread

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/18631-longdrem-the-pinkhill-branch/

Edited by Jamie
Thanks for contributing Merlin, I've added a link for you.
  • Like 13

Auchinraith

1990s Strathclyde in South Lanarkshire. Through-station plus small CCE yard next door. 4mm/EM.

post-6712-0-54598500-1306173353_thumb.jpg

Class 303 and 318 units meet.

post-6712-0-02328900-1306173767_thumb.jpg

Dutch liveried 37 passes through.

When I get time, I'll sort out a new topic in the main layouts section. So little time, so much to do!

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...

Dunbracken

009 layout built on an ironing board. Coastal terminus of the Glencloy Light Railway. This layout won the 2009 Reinier Hendriksen Trophy for Achievement in Freelance Narrow Gauge Modelling.

Topic here: http://www.rmweb.co....ch__1#entry8764

More details here: http://hlrco.wordpress.com/dunbracken/

5395544021_9476c1e4e7_z.jpg

• Like 6

Rannoch Junction

Hello

I am involved with this layout with a couple of others from the Risborough & District model Railway Club.

http://www.rmweb.co....annoch-junction

As we did not wish to make the layout a copy of a particular station on the West Highland Line, but to meld of several different locations. Therefore a new station has had to be “inventedâ€, it is proposed that a different station had been built slightly south of Rannoch which had a branch of towards Kinloch Rannoch and Pithochry.

Here are a couple of pics from the thread:

post-7053-0-80313400-1307203685_thumb.jpg

post-7053-0-71967800-1307203710_thumb.jpg

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

BALVENIE is my Scottish layout built a while back in OO gauge using both steam and diesel must admit i do like it with early diesels blue 70,s period.

But here is a few pictures and link to my old thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/15961-balvenie/page__p__149850__hl__balvenie__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=149850

Hugh

post-7432-0-67590500-1310887393_thumb.jpg

post-7432-0-25497000-1310887404_thumb.jpg

post-7432-0-04513600-1310887414_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

And that's the beauty of this Group setup - somehow I'd missed your layout completely, Jim, despite it being right up my street. For what it's worth, I think it's got atmosphere a-plenty, and there's no doubt where it's meant to be - you've got the sense of place nailed.

Thanks for re-posting and bringing it to my attention!

Auchinraith

1990s Strathclyde in South Lanarkshire. Through-station plus small CCE yard next door. 4mm/EM.

post-6712-0-54598500-1306173353_thumb.jpg

Class 303 and 318 units meet.

post-6712-0-02328900-1306173767_thumb.jpg

Dutch liveried 37 passes through.

When I get time, I'll sort out a new topic in the main layouts section. So little time, so much to do!

I would love too see more of this layout, particularly the 303 & 318's on it, I tried your link (My Layout) but I'm not getting a connection. Please post more.

Many thanks,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Paisley Canal No2 Signal Box

Paisley Canal is my 0 Gauge micro layout and my entry to the 2010 layout challenge

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=66967

The Summary Topic gives an overview of the state of completion of the layout by the closing date of the competition and the Layout Building Thread shows the construction methods I used.

I also have an RMweb Blog where I detail my sporadic efforts at populating the layout with appropriate rolling stock and a number of Galleries with some Scottish Region interest.

Last but by no means least I maintain the website for the restored Scottish Region Class 126 DMU, preserved by the SRPS at Bo'ness.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Jim, you've got a great layout there - full of atmosphere and some good cameo scenes too.

I'm envious, at least you've managed to build a layout! Please let us have some mroe details on your thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some details of my proposed layout, based on Yoker, (65G), loco shed:-

The Baseboards for Yoker (65G), are now complete.

I have installed the turntable, a Metalsmiths excellent kits for the Cowans Sheldon 60ft turntable. (http://www.metalsmith.co.uk).

Luckily that was the exact one that was located at Yoker.

I have started laying track.

http://www.rmweb.co....__fromsearch__1

Some photos:-

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...