Scots We Hae: Scottish RMWeb Layouts

Jamie

I shall post some more on my profile page rather than clog up this directory list. : )

I hope you don't mind me saying so, but I think your layout deserves its own thread. Photos on a profile page are rather hidden out of sight. Meanach looks to me like a layout that would be very popular on here and very worthy of a thread in its own right. 

More please!  :yes:

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Eenin' tykes!

There's not much to show yet, but here's a sneak preview of my freelanced "Ko'ness and Manneill" (Ko'n&Man) layout in N gauge. I'm trying to catch the feel of a Scottish distillery with railway connection. I've heard it many times before, that working on a smaller layout reduces the risk of doing the same mistakes more than once? Well, since I've already made a lot of mistakes so far building the layout, I am happy to not have proceeded with a larger project (the West Highland Line from Corrour [Cruach snow shed] to Mallaig) so far. Here's the link to my blog http://koness.blogspot.com and here's some pics:

9sk1.jpg

ufyr.jpg

pslr.jpg

Edited by westhighlandline
  • Like 7

Eenin' tykes!

There's not much to show yet, but here's a sneak preview of my freelanced "Ko'ness and Manneill" (Ko'n&Man) layout in N gauge. I'm trying to catch the feel of a Scottish distillery with railway connection. I've heard it many times before, that working on a smaller layout reduces the risk of doing the same mistakes more than once? Well, since I've already made a lot of mistakes so far building the layout, I am happy to not have proceeded with a larger project (the West Highland Line from Corrour [Cruach snow shed] to Mallaig) so far. Here's the link to my blog http://koness.blogspot.com and here's some pics:

ufyr.jpg

Some nicely observed work here and it looks as if you will capture the feeling of space that you get in the highlands.

A quick comment; your chimney needs to be rather fatter as it is rather too slender.  It is a long time since I did any slenderness ratio calculations, but I would keep the thickness of the column above about an 1/8th of its height.

• Like 3

Mark,

Not sure that Kosta's chimney  is hopelessly off the mark.   A quick trawl of Google images gives

http://www.discoverislay.com/images/islay_whisky_distlleries/bowmore_whisky_distillery.jpg

(Bowmore)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-VZYA41XdpsU/T3X7urS8QYI/AAAAAAAAA8A/W8zku65LbWQ/s1600/Glen%2BSpey%2BDistillery.JPG

(Glen Spey)

though this is more typical

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5sLAjdq84_k/UasQzPD6FFI/AAAAAAAAAN0/rHb8cOXRgKk/s1600/Strathisla+Distillery+in+Kieth.JPG

(Strathisla)

Alan

Edited by benachie

Both the Bowmore and Glen Spey are metal tubes so can be much thinner.

Strathisla is a brick chimney.  Because brick only has a good compressive strength, you get issues with slenderness.

Just to give you a comparison - the original round brick chimney at Tamdhu Distillery was 120 feet high, 12 feet diameter at the base and 6 feet diameter at the top.

If you prefer a square brick chimney (easier to model!) there are some good pictures of the preserved distillery - Dallas Dhu - on the Internet. You would be able to work out the size by counting bricks.

Regards.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I had a Scottish layout previously covered in this thread; East Fife, Plockton and West Highland where I tried to cover most of Scotland in one layout.  Probably wasn't a great idea in retrospect.  Unfortunately it got destroyed when I demolished the garage (and the house) to rebuild.  My old threads still there and am planning a new Scottish layout. Currently doing an era 2 Bavarian layout.  But can see this getting finished in the next year or so. Still having decisions to make about where in Scotland the new layout will be based on though.  West Highland or Kyle line or East Fife?  Once I get an idea what I intend to do I'll start a new layout thread.

Here's a couple of pictures from the old layout.

gallery_570_68_11954.jpg

IMG_4670.jpg

IMG_3513.jpg

Edited by Neil_S_Wood
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear about the old layout Neil.

Out of east coast bias, I'd say go for the fife idea!

Not just that, the can't be many other layouts of the area, certainly nowhere near as many as West/North/highland lines.

How about a modern-ish 'what if?', namely the fife coast line stayed open? I suppose the stock/traffic could be similar to a highland line - 2-car DMUs with occasional LH through trains/specials/tourist services, local freight flows (eg whisky trade/agriculture). Presuming mainly single line with passing loop stations (with/without goods yards)

[big DOH! edit: just looked back at the old thread and first post mentions that was pretty much what you'd done already - oops me! (and I'd completely forgotten about THAT fabby castle). that'll teach me to look before I post!]

Even an up-to-date fife line, given the campaigns to reopen traffic to leven and st.andrews

Good luck, whichever you decide to go for :-)

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear about the old layout Neil.

Out of east coast bias, I'd say go for the fife idea!

Not just that, the can't be many other layouts of the area, certainly nowhere near as many as West/North/highland lines.

How about a modern-ish 'what if?', namely the fife coast line stayed open? I suppose the stock/traffic could be similar to a highland line - 2-car DMUs with occasional LH through trains/specials/tourist services, local freight flows (eg whisky trade/agriculture). Presuming mainly single line with passing loop stations (with/without goods yards)

[big DOH! edit: just looked back at the old thread and first post mentions that was pretty much what you'd done already - oops me! (and I'd completely forgotten about THAT fabby castle). that'll teach me to look before I post!]

Even an up-to-date fife line, given the campaigns to reopen traffic to leven and st.andrews

Good luck, whichever you decide to go for :-)

Thanks Keefer,

Yep that was the last layout but now I'm thinking I can improve on my mistakes and maybe even do it in P4. Probably Lower Largo where the viaduct crosses the harbour area. I could maybe use the castle again too. Kellie castle it was by the way.

Cheers

Neil

Edited by Neil_S_Wood
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 40-something

Hi All

Never really thought about adding my groups' layouts here before but will now...

First up is Eaglesham by Bill Auld.  Set in 1912 in Renfrewshire and modelled in 4mm/OO featuring kit and scratchbuilt loco's and rolling stock.  Currently 20ft by 2ft but an extension is planned which will extend the length and width.  Its next outing is at Midland Railex on 16/17th August.

post-6924-0-46219300-1406940167_thumb.jpg

Next is Milton Street MPD, by Spencer Anderson.  This 4mm/OO steam shed is set in Motherwell in the 1960's and its wagon repair shop extension is almost finished.  Despite my best attempts, it remains a diesel-free zone.  The layout will be exhibited at the York & District show, 21st & 22nd September.

post-6924-0-27669900-1406940228.jpg

Photo by Mike Bisset/Hornby Magazine 2014

Finally, my own layout, Rockvilla Goods, a 4mm/OO goods & parcels facility set in the early 70's pre-tops days.  After ironing out a few coupling problems after its last appearance Im ready to start work on an extension to the layout.

post-6924-0-95354700-1406940276.jpg

All layouts have seen upgrades to the scenics since the photo's were taken.  Really must take more photos!

More details can be found on our websites..

12ADMRG

Rockvilla Goods

Edited by 40-something
  • Like 6

Hi Joe, I've seen all these railways and can vouch for their appeal.

Great that the group is getting invites too despite Spencer.....

You haven't mentioned future projects, I mean, what are all the Caley bufferstops Bill got for?

All the best,

Dave Franks.

Guest 40-something

Hi Joe, I've seen all these railways and can vouch for their appeal.

Great that the group is getting invites too despite Spencer.....

You haven't mentioned future projects, I mean, what are all the Caley bufferstops Bill got for?

All the best,

Dave Franks.

Thanks for your comments Dave!

Bill and Spencer are replacing the current stops on both their layouts for your Caley ones, and very good they look too!  If there is any left I'll snap one up or two for my own layout!

• 2 months later...
Hi all!

Long time, no see. Having been quite busy during summer, I've made no progress whatsoever on the Ko'ness and Maneill - until recently. Slightly disappointed with the things the way they are - mainly being unable to simply let trains run and not do anything about it, so no shunting or whatever -  I decided to turn my point-to-point layout into a tailchaser. I added three modules and am currently waiting for insulation foam boards to fix to the base and to get to the correct height of the existing two modules. Nevertheless, I decided to give up on the harbour area, as it seems to be out of place for a remote Scottish "end of the line" (which no longer will be). So I've done some work on the coastline, extinguished the harbour "walls" and created a natural coastline:

GBGFpX.pngt9gCxi.png

Fitting leftover foam pieces to form rocks / Cutting through the hill to make space for the future track

uz9NdR.png

Cut back hillside

DURcu7.pngMnXmGs.png

Building rocks

TEkvrB.pngrdu6dD.png

Basic colouring

zESrpe.pngYY7v9h.png

T.b.c. [grin]

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest 40-something

Hi All

Never really thought about adding my groups' layouts here before but will now...

First up is Eaglesham by Bill Auld.  Set in 1912 in Renfrewshire and modelled in 4mm/OO featuring kit and scratchbuilt loco's and rolling stock.  Currently 20ft by 2ft but an extension is planned which will extend the length and width.  Its next outing is at Midland Railex on 16/17th August.

attachicon.gifP1010681 (1024x768).jpg

Next is Milton Street MPD, by Spencer Anderson.  This 4mm/OO steam shed is set in Motherwell in the 1960's and its wagon repair shop extension is almost finished.  Despite my best attempts, it remains a diesel-free zone.  The layout will be exhibited at the York & District show, 21st & 22nd September.

attachicon.gifDSC_0051 (800x536).jpg

Photo by Mike Bisset/Hornby Magazine 2014

Finally, my own layout, Rockvilla Goods, a 4mm/OO goods & parcels facility set in the early 70's pre-tops days.  After ironing out a few coupling problems after its last appearance Im ready to start work on an extension to the layout.

attachicon.gifP1010868 (640x467).jpg

All layouts have seen upgrades to the scenics since the photo's were taken.  Really must take more photos!

More details can be found on our websites..

12ADMRG

Rockvilla Goods

Hi Folks

Eaglesham is appearing in this months BRM magazine, the photo's taken by Nigel Burkin are fantastic.

Also, I havedecided to put Rockvilla Goods up for sale in order to fund a new project

An advert has been placed in the classifieds if anyone would be interested

• 2 months later...

Was a highlight for me at the Glasgow show- it certainly stood out amongst many other rather inferior offerings there and I am glad it it being given a new lease of life- It is well worth catching when if it goes back on the circuit.

• Like 1