Scots We Hae: Scottish RMWeb Layouts

Jamie

Was a highlight for me at the Glasgow show- it certainly stood out amongst many other rather inferior offerings there and I am glad it it being given a new lease of life- It is well worth catching when if it goes back on the circuit.

Thanks Ben,

On reflection, its success was the fact that the layout is of an actual place and not a fictitious hybrid. As such it is instantly recognisable to "joe public" and not just enthusiasts. Our biggest test was the decision to exhibit it in the Blair Atholl village hall which proved immensely popular with the locals.

Yes, it was/is in a league above most of the the other larger layouts that graced the Glasgow show for so many years. I do think that modelling a prototype has several advantages, one being perhaps a restriction on the"whimsy" element that can appear in many joint ventures. The incorporation of the surrounding village and a depiction of the line itself also gave it a real sense of place that struck a chord with so many viewers.

Just found this thread and notice that it's dominated by 4mm motorised biscuit tins, so thought I'd balance things up a bit with a mention of my 1885-1915 period CR layout Kirkallanmuir. Thread at the link at the bottom of this. A couple of photos of track laying in progress.

post-25077-0-13073000-1425806182_thumb.jpg

post-25077-0-95015800-1425806209_thumb.jpg

Jim W

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 12

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Ben,

On reflection, its success was the fact that the layout is of an actual place and not a fictitious hybrid. As such it is instantly recognisable to "joe public" and not just enthusiasts. Our biggest test was the decision to exhibit it in the Blair Atholl village hall which proved immensely popular with the locals.

I went to see the layout in the village hall while on holiday in Blair Atholl in the early 90's. We happened to be there at the same time as the Duke himself was being given a tour of the layout.

Glad to hear it might return to the exhibition circuit. I'd definitely enjoy seeing it again.

Brian

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

As a new boy, I have enjoyed reading through this thread very much. I have just returned to 4mm scale after a lengthy absence and am basing my new layout with a Scottish theme in mind. It's very much a work in progress at the moment, but coming along nicely.

post-27244-0-48549200-1442954423_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Waverley 85-86.

Set at the more interesting end of Waverley (in the mid 80s anyway). As my signature says modelling ScotRail in the mid 80s before Sprinters came to Haymarket and before the 47/7s went to Eastfield.

Trying to recapture happy days spent on Pl 14.

The scenic section is almost complete, the station area is a work in progress.

Photo 1. 47708 Waverley heads towards Waverley.

Photo 2. Waverley

post-4700-0-44498700-1448986143_thumb.jpg

post-4700-0-95173600-1448986569_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 3

Here we are: mine's called "Elgin for Lossiemouth", and it occupies the entire dining room. Well, who needs a dining room when you have a perfectly good kitchen?

The first thing to say is that it looks nothing, nothing whatsoever, like Elgin ever did, or is ever likely to. To further infuriate rivet-counters, it's a tail-chasing figure of eight. I like watching trains go by, as well as I enjoy the operational opportunities of a yard, TMD, 2 through and 3 bay platforms, the largest of which can accomodate a 2+6 HST.

My maternal grandfather was stationmaster of the Elgin GNoS Station between the wars, which allows me to claim rights.

I progress through eras, with 3 or 4 trains in operation at any time, that would be historically compatible; then, I replace the oldest rake with a rake of the historically next-newest, and preserve the historical continuity. So, Blue and Grey co-exists with Large Logo but when Blue/grey goes back to the cupboard, it is replaced by InterCity; Large Logo then gives way to ScotRail, IC then gives way to GNER and privatisation. Eventually we have East Coast, EWS and privatised ScotRail. Does this make sense? Finally, after a 2-weekly deep clean, we clear the tracks for Blue/grey once more, and start again. Thus, every loco gets a run every few weeks and I am continually looking to refresh the looks through Model Junction, my marvellous local (walking distance) model shop and eBay.

Class 37 is disproportionately represented, as is the HST, in GNER, East Coast and... 43172 Harry Patch. The latter on an excursion, plainly, but it is such a striking model I had to have one. A K1 "Lord of the Isles" hauls a rake of West Coast Mk1s, Kyle line green features too. DCC and sound are important features, and lighting, both buildings and stock, variously from pickups, motion-activated and switch-operated. Infrared detectors rotate 4 aspect colour signals. I did say it is nothing like Elgin! Passengers in coaches and on platforms are essential, and every cab has a driver - I don't get a loco running without one!post-23887-0-71714500-1449225092.jpgpost-23887-0-53801400-1449225119.jpgpost-23887-0-06884300-1449225143.jpg

• Like 4

Jim, Neil/andytrains, benachie and Caley Jim,

You are very kind! I had been expecting to be told off for playing fast and loose with history and for inflating a passing loop station into a 5-platform 4-aspect station witth a TMD and a goods yard, instead of which it seems that I have brought smiles to fellow Scottish enthusiasts!

What would a thread involve? I have already discovered that my photos need to be drastically down-sized in order to be displayed here, instead of which I think I will just take some new ones with the photo dimensions minimised in the camera.

What would my new, non-judgemental chums like to see? There are 3 signal boxes East, West and TMD, all with lighting and cast metal interiors, a fishing lodge, with illuminated bar with beer taps, barmaid and resident drunk... the Tables Hotel, borrowed from Dunvegan, and a representation of the Lochalsh Hotel (one of my favourite places on Earth, no exaggeration), dimensions boosted by the positioning of a mirror. You're also going to find Gordon & MacPhail's bonded warehouse next to a mirror-enlarged distillery, along with a greenhouse enjoying the balmy Morayshire microclimate.

There are trains, too. My previously described historical progression finds me at a privatised ScotRail, DBSchenker and East Coast Trains stage. My Domestic Manager is at work today so I have a prolonged running session planned before settling down to watch Glasgow play in the Pro 12 at 3pm.

Here we are, more about "Elgin for Lossiemouth". We used to tease folk from Lossie about being mean. As with the Lossie couple who win a fortune on the lottery. She to him: "What shall we do about the begging letters?" He to her: "Aye, keep sending them."

Anyway.post-23887-0-45293200-1449321806.jpg

Mk2 Sleeper Lounge resprayed from Airfix original by my new ebay chum, Ray, with my installation of curtains (remember those lurid orange ones?) Sofa seating, passengers and lighting. Couupled to 3 Mk3 SLEs waiting for 67001 Night Mail and overnight service to Euston.

Meanwhile, kettle on inside Elgin East 'box with busy noticeboard behind signalman operating llevers which do, in fact, match the track layout: post-23887-0-85771200-1449322274.jpg

K1 "Lord of the Isles" hauls West Coast Railways Mk1s over the double slip in front of Elgin East:post-23887-0-45090800-1449322517.jpg

Here is the TMD with loco lift over inspection pit with single road shed beyond, and Gordon & MacPhail's bonded warehouse and distillery in the background: post-23887-0-43326600-1449322818.jpg

Lastly, Class 56 waiting to leave yard with steel coils:post-23887-0-46475800-1449323113.jpg

Finally for now, fishing hut with bar, beer taps, barmaid and duty drunk: post-23887-0-78751800-1449322962.jpg

And in conclusion, pathologically tidy workbench:post-23887-0-25026000-1449323238.jpg

Unable to resist poke at over-long Presbyterian sermon when the minister delivers three paragraphs of doom, "lastly", "finally", and "in conclusion".

• Like 2

this may of interest. At my club i am working on an extension to one of out existing layouts. The model is of a typical north british country station with a crossing loop and industrial private owner sidings. Or it will be when finished. We are hoping to have the extension ready for 2017.

Anyway here is the link.http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/103243-glendevon-extension/?p=2121623

Gary

As a new boy, I have enjoyed reading through this thread very much. I have just returned to 4mm scale after a lengthy absence and am basing my new layout with a Scottish theme in mind. It's very much a work in progress at the moment, but coming along nicely.

Great to see . What have you used for the back drop ? It's very effective.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

BORDERS REACH   OO 4MM F/S

Originally built by the late Keith Wright, but now refurbished, owned & exhibited by myself, Borders Reach depicts a fictitious satellite depot in the docks of Clydebank during the 70's - 80's.

Typical motive power to be found here are the hard working class 26's, with the odd appearance of the equally hard working class 27's. Other types of motive power do put in an appearance when there is no room for them to refuel or to be examined at the nearby Pollockshields or Polmadie depots.

post-5308-0-34110400-1450620634_thumb.jpg

post-5308-0-97123600-1450620649_thumb.jpg

post-5308-0-69425900-1450620661_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul W
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...