Midland Junction

Hello,

I came across this group and wondered what the intention is here. I'm guessing it is a vehicle for members to share experiences that are specific to building larger layouts (as opposed to smaller layouts), eg transportation issues, time, wiring ie voltage drop concerns, cost, operating.

Anyway, I have a large 00 layout 31ft x 10ft called Midland Junction, featuring about 200m of track with 100 points. It's a roundy roundy, basically a folded loop, and a circuit covers about 2 scale miles (twice round the shed).

It is based on ex Midland in BR era around late 50s to early 60s, DCC using Lenz and runs with RR&Co Train Controller and +4D Sound software. The layout is housed in a purpose built shed. I started the latest version of the layout about 3 years ago so there's a long way to go yet.

I'm a solo modeller and would be happy to join and share experiences. I've attached a few sample photos for interest. There are more on my Gallery (Midland Junction).

Many thanks

Regards

Alan

post-1570-0-21095800-1305875164_thumb.jpg

post-1570-0-72551300-1305875205_thumb.jpg

post-1570-0-73741700-1305875240_thumb.jpg

post-1570-0-70373300-1305875270_thumb.jpg

post-1570-0-13798200-1305875335_thumb.jpg

post-1570-0-71465100-1305875370_thumb.jpg

Guest jim s-w

Hello,

I came across this group and wondered what the intention is here. I'm guessing it is a vehicle for members to share experiences that are specific to building larger layouts (as opposed to smaller layouts), eg transportation issues, time, wiring ie voltage drop concerns, cost, operating.

Alan

Hi Alan

Spot on yes. Welcome to the group

Cheers

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread - can't believe it's been here for over a week and nobody else has commented! I suppose that is the downside of having a large number of specific discussion groups. What a fantastic layout, I'm sure there are many jealous viewers. Do you have a track plan you could share with us, or was it designed the old-fashioned way? :)

Cheers,

Will

Hi Will,

Thanks very much for the kind comments. There's a couple of other posts in the group forum if you haven't found them already. Just a few more photos about track ballasting and painting. I did however publish a gallery a couple of weeks ago which attracted one or two comments.

The trackplan was designed using software called 3D Railroad however it's a bit difficult to show pictures of it as it spans 3 x A4 pages (landscape) when printed. When I first started I had it pinned along the back wall above the main station area. That print and plan is long gone now but you might get a feel for the plan if you expand the photo showing the two computer screens - this is how it is laid out schematically in RR&Co Train Controller which shows the circuits, yard, storage loops etc. What is difficult is to envisage the various levels but some of this can be made out in the photos here and in my gallery.

I hope to update with progress from time to time so why not sign up to watch the topic?

Regards

Alan

Thanks Pete,

I do find the rtr trackwork quite limiting in this respect and have to say I spent a lot of time trying out different layouts until I get a) what I think is a nice flowing look, b.) a design that works operationally and finally c) hopefully an authentic look.

I would opt for building my own track if I hadn't have bought tons of the Peco 100 stuff earlier - too much to disregard or sell, or to start again right now! Also I would reconsider if I didn't have this desire to build such large layouts. I guess you makes your choices etc. If I ever get this one finished, or if I get fed up of it, I think my next layout would be a change to 0 gauge and hand built track.

Life's too short ... :drinks:

Regards

Alan

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello Alan

I've just found this topic and I must say the layout looks superb. You have made huge progress in 3 years and I look forward to seeing how you get on in future. The looped eight always struck me as offering a lot of scope for serious running and you demonstrate this to great effect.

Just one question (from someone who although 6 ft tall cannot even reach the back of a 3ft board); how do you get at the back of the layout? Cheers

Terry Davis (TerryD147)

I have to congratulate you Alan on how you have retained an element of spaciousness in the layout, even though there is a considerable amount of track work. The pic of the long viaduct crossing over the main lines is terrific and I'm really looking forward to seeing how this develops in future.

As someone who has worked on their own for may years, I can certainly relate to the ups and downs we experience as solo modellers, particularly when working on a large layout. The finishing line seems years away and every job no matter how small, takes three times as long as you'd expect.

Hello Alan

I've just found this topic and I must say the layout looks superb. You have made huge progress in 3 years and I look forward to seeing how you get on in future. The looped eight always struck me as offering a lot of scope for serious running and you demonstrate this to great effect.

Just one question (from someone who although 6 ft tall cannot even reach the back of a 3ft board); how do you get at the back of the layout? Cheers

Terry Davis (TerryD147)

I have to congratulate you Alan on how you have retained an element of spaciousness in the layout, even though there is a considerable amount of track work. The pic of the long viaduct crossing over the main lines is terrific and I'm really looking forward to seeing how this develops in future.

As someone who has worked on their own for may years, I can certainly relate to the ups and downs we experience as solo modellers, particularly when working on a large layout. The finishing line seems years away and every job no matter how small, takes three times as long as you'd expect.

Gents,

Thank you both for your kind comments. Sadly, in some ways, Midland Junction no longer exists! I had a summer of discontent last year when I made no progress on the layout, I think it just went a bit 'stale' and I came to realise that a large (overly ambitious) layout isn't always a good thing, especially when operating as a one man team. Gordon, it sounds like you have also experienced this. So I took a big decision to change to O gauge. To fund the change I sold off all my 00 stock late last year in a massive ebaY sale, did exceptionally well too with many items achieving far more than I paid for them!

Just last week I took up all of the track work and stripped out the electrics and electronic components, all of which are now boxed up. There's about 200-300 yards of Peco code 100 track plus around 100 Peco points and motors which will be put on ebaY for sale at some time - probably when I need some more cash to fund further O gauge purchases. Also some, but not all, of my Lenz components will go but I'll need some of them to computerise my future O gauge layout.

The frame work you see in the photos has all been dismantled and new framework has been re-assembled along one side of the shed ready for a new O gauge fiddle to terminus layout 30' long by 3' wide. Having part built several layouts, I have changed tack this time and I'm buying a club owned exhibition layout - I collect this next week. This approach will allow time to focus more on building and painting locos and rolling stock, which after a few months over winter I discovered I enjoy very much. Also I'll be looking to extent the new layout in the future so I'll be constructing some trackwork and turnouts which I also enjoyed doing during the winter months. I'll probably also convert the pointwork to DCC and again use Train Controller for some automatic operation. So hopefully, the best of both worlds, building kits and having a completed layout for them to run on, with options to automate operation and possibly extend in the future.

I should add that buying a ready made exhibition layout - and therefore portable - also fits in with our plans to move house, so as it happens, Midland Junction would have had to come down anyway.

Terry, regarding your question about reaching the back of the layout. I'm only short, around 5' 4" last time I checked, I can stretch to reach the back of a 3' wide layout but only if the layout is at a height of around 3'. Any higher than that and then I can't reach.

Anyway, thanks again for your interest. I have contributed to some of the threads over on the 7mm O gauge forum where I've shown some rolling stock I've been working on. I'm glad to say that I find the change of scale has suited me well and very happy I've made the change, it's breathed a new lease of life into the hobby.

Best wishes

Regards

Alan

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alan,

we have communicated in the past. That is Wicked !  Awesome ! downright unfair. I love it.

Regards, Derek.

Hi Derek,

I guess you like it then..

The only thing is it needs a fiddle yard or, even better, extending into a roundy roundy, but this will require a further 13 ft of shed! We're moving house so on my 'must have' list is a 45 x 13ft shed which of course will need a pretty big garden. The search is on ...

Regards

Alan

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mate

What a great layout, I like the two screens with the layout split on the two screens was this easy to do or is there some software involved... or a magic box that it goes via...

Excellent photos and the layout is an excellent length.

Jamie

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi Alan,

Two very nice layouts there - and I confess to a bit of 'shed envy'.

The thing that jumped out at me reading through your thread, was your summer of discontent. Lots of us seem to have these periods of inactivity - almost disinterest, I wondered if you wanted to expand on that ?

As well as your shed, I also like the solution you have come up with. First time I have ever seen an RTR layout!

Now you can just potter and build stock in the knowledge that you have somewhere for it to run.

My O gauge stock is all in boxes in the loft....

Archived