Welcome to the Southern Railway Group

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

Just a brief message to say hello and welcome to the Southern Railway Group on here. The purpose of the Group is collate relevant topics and posts with Southern Railway and BR(s) content (please note this is not in anyway attempting to become or replace the existing SeMG email group and website on which many of us on here are also members, and as is such a valuable online resource)

If you have reached this introduction post via the Group's 'Home Page' to access the index of Group topics.click on the 'Group Discussions' link in the left hand column >>

• Like 4

Thanks Muz, I must admit that SeMG's site is usually my first port of call on the 'net for reference material on such matters (such as checking 2EPB car numbers late last night) and it's an excellent resource. I must actually join sometime. ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And thanks to you for setting up the Group Andy.

By the way if you have been looking up EPB numbers it is worth noting that on the blue version the numbers are correct for the unit but on the wrong coaches!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After chatting with Andy we have decided that the best practice approach for the Group is to provide threads to post links to layout, workbench and kit building / scratch building topics that have a Southern / BR(s) theme keeping them in the main area of the forum structure. You will see that the process of moving other Southern / BR(s) theme across to the Group area has commenced to hopefully make this area a good central resource for all that is relevant to the Southern /BR(s) on the forum.

If you are aware of other threads that you feel should be moved to the group either let me know by PM or use the report function to make the admin team aware.

• Like 2

Just a brief message to say hello and welcome to the Southern Railway Group on here. The purpose of the Group is collate relevant topics and posts with Southern Railway and BR(s) content (please note this is not in anyway attempting to become or replace the existing SeMG email group and website on which many of us on here are also members, and as is such a valuable online resource)

Thanks Muz and Andy. Very logical and user friendly.

PB

• RMweb Gold

I'm glad you are liking what I have done so far.

I am always open to other suggestions etc.in this thread, or simply pull up a chair in a virtual 'village' at Waterloo and use this thread to have a natter about all things Southern and BR(s).

• RMweb Gold

Well I chose Waterloo as it was, post 1923, the HQ for both the SR and BR(s).

Also being located in the 'village' offices we would be just a few steps away from the famous clock to meet new friends under...which I hope this Group will facilitate...

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rod

Yes the office block between the Main and Windsor line platforms was known as the 'village'. It was of course demolished to make way for the Eurostar platforms.

• RMweb Premium

I spent so many happy hours at Waterloo travelling to/from the Epsom Line and Guildford New Line when I worked in central London - so I feel quite at home here.

Who remembers the nosh served in "The Drum" and the dreadful coffee served from the stall opposite platforms 3/4?

Or spending the time waiting for a departure supping Ruddles in Burkes "Hole In The Wall" under the Waterloo East arches?

• RMweb Premium

Happy to join in :drinks:

With family history on the SR at Wadebridge and spending some of my younger years living beside the "juice" I have a long time interest and broad knowledge of things Southern. Long-time member of the SEG and occasional helper (when I'm in the UK) with their preservation efforts as well.

Planned layout to commence build in 2012 "Harlyn Road" is intended to feature Southern in Cornwall and may include "what-if" operations such as a Thumper on the branch and Cep+MLV on the main though it is really intended to become a home for the well tanks and Exmouth Junction locos. I also have tentative plans to look into powering from a live juice rail by wiring copper-strip fitted pick-up shoes.

• RMweb Gold

I didnt get up to Waterloo all that often but I do remember as a youngster going to the 'Casey Jones' Burger bar though! If that does not give my age range away too much.

Welocme aboard Rick even with those initials in prominent in your user name! Glad to hear another Southern layout is on the cards, it does not surprise me that a few more Cornwallish layouts will start to appear due to the some of the models now and about to be available.

• RMweb Premium

Casey Jones at Waterloo. That takes me back but not as far as mis-spent youth :( It was a regular port of call after a run up from Penzance (change at Exeter) and was also responsible for nearly burning down part of the station when the broiler caught fire and flames went up through the ducting.

No connection with the firm next door in my user name despite the initials. A little research will reveal it is a Cornish word.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jonte

Just like to say hi and may I also join in the fun?

As a member of 'USA and Canadian' wasn't sure whether I could join two at once, however, I see the Treneglos Team is here as well so I'm sure no one will mind.

Always been interested in model railways, especially the SR ones set in Devon/Cornwall, but still consider myself a newbie when it comes to the tools. I'm currently building my first layout which is Los Angeles based, although rather strangely, was started off as an ex LSWR themed layout, set (like a lot of layouts) towards the end of steam. The baseboardy bits of the layout are progressing and track laying is almost ready to begin.

However................I've been feeling a little homesick of late and finding this Group hasn't helped to console me!!

I'm so tempted to come home. What a dilemma :unsure:

Anyway, that's me and here are some pics of a couple of LSWR type buildings I've been building:

post-4524-0-72955500-1309382348_thumb.jpgpost-4524-0-72029000-1309382389_thumb.jpgpost-4524-0-89323900-1309382424_thumb.jpgpost-4524-0-44511600-1309382460_thumb.jpgpost-4524-0-13345900-1309382494_thumb.jpgpost-4524-0-27412400-1309382527_thumb.jpgpost-4524-0-89642400-1309382559_thumb.jpgpost-4524-0-96962500-1309382601_thumb.jpgpost-4524-0-75802300-1309382670_thumb.jpg

The first is a kit bashed Dapol kit, which (to my eyes anyway) looks rather LSWR in style, so I just squared it off, used some of the displaced bits of weatherboard to make a porch and reduced the window sizes to make them of the square type frequently seen on LSWR origin boxes. Scraps of Wills weatherboarding - not quite the same mind, but they'll do - fill in the bits that are short and cut down pieces of ratio GWR fencing form the valencing above the windows. Guttering is wills from their builders packs and the staircase the original with evergreen styrene to replace the ever so slightly chunky handrails which were found to be bent when I opened the pack. The remains of the styrene strips have been used to make the windows and extend the drainpipe that came with the kit. Still, it's mostly Dapol. It's been sprayed with acrylic car paint undercoat/primer and thinwashed with a Humbrol enamelcolour that resembles the stone colour used during the BR period. The paint looks a little blobby in parts: this is Maskol which will be peeled away later to create that flakey paint look (I hope). It's not finished as I discovered American railroading at that point.

The second is loosely based on Newton Poppleford station in East Devon and was built during a protracted period of illness from work in 2002. Made with a shell of card, it's covered with Howard scenics brick paper and uses some left over windows from an old Superquick kit - have always intended to replace these with styrene frames - just never got round to it. The brick is painted with acrylic and drybrushed to weather it; I must admit, I don't think I'd use acrylic again. I prefer enamels. Incidentally, I guessed the front of the building as I used pictures from 'SR in colour' and the 'Disused railways' site as sources of reference, which didn't show the front elevation. That was until a couple of years ago or so when they added one to their site. Isn't it always the way?

Finally, here's one of the baseboard with the removable backscene under construction:

post-4524-0-74730100-1309387541_thumb.jpg

Best wishes and keep up the excellent contributions.

Jonte

Guest jonte

Nice to have you here Jonte. We'll soon have you converted back to proper railways!

Thanks, Chris.

Just don't tell the folks back on the Dark Side I've been moonlighting!

Oh, and best wishes to you, Damian and John for 'Once upon a Times' outing to Members' Day. Love to have popped along and offered my support but the boss starts her holidays on Friday, thus starts a couple of weeks of 'togetherness' type stuff!!

Jonte

Guest jonte

Hi again

No wish to wear out my welcome but just thought I'd try and get a couple more shots of the station building in daylight conditions. Took plenty, but just can't quite master the art of close up photography.

A couple more then.

post-4524-0-12468600-1309431589_thumb.jpgpost-4524-0-46838200-1309431643_thumb.jpgpost-4524-0-11590200-1309431889_thumb.jpg

Right hand chimney still needs glueing on and both need weathering as do both gable ends in the vicinity of the eaves (just realised that the downspout is missing from the wall of the small extension in the third picture; should be where the weathered line is - length of shaped styrene rod like the other).

Best wishes,

Jonte

• RMweb Gold

Casey Jones at Waterloo. That takes me back but not as far as mis-spent youth :( It was a regular port of call after a run up from Penzance (change at Exeter) and was also responsible for nearly burning down part of the station when the broiler caught fire and flames went up through the ducting.

I seem to recall the broiler was chain-driven. There is something quite Bulleid about a chain-driven mechanism catching fire!

Incidentally I have a feeling the same firm nearly managed the same trick more recently at Heathrow!

• RMweb Premium

The connection never occurred to me Ian.

Of course a chain-driven item (broiler) with an oil-bath (the drip bin) should be associated with Bulleid and at Waterloo to boot! :laugh:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Changing tack slightly but to give a heads up that a new Southern layout is about to be born. At the Hornby Magazine Live / Hartlepool model railway exhibiton in a weeks time (9/10th July) Mike Wild (editor or Hornby Mag) , Richard Proudman and myself will be building a layout over the weekend of the show as a live demo.

It will be called Ashland, owing to it being loosely based on a couple of North Cornwall Railway stations, and will comprise of a typical passing station and goods yard built across two 4' 6" scenic boards. I will make sure that a few pictures are posted on here after the event. I am pretty confident that we will be able to complete it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, some of you will know me from SEmG, I recall meeting Muz on a Swanage Gala a few years back, probably be there again this year.

About me, retired, just turned 77, 3 years a widower, modelling "somewhere in SE Dorset/Purbecks" sort of Swanmouth or Bourneage,. N gauge, mid 1930s. definitely pre Bulleid.

Some of my stock here,

Current layout progress

I've been modelling in N gauge since 1974, had a number of layouts over the years, largest was a loft layout 25'x17' had Bournemouth West almost to scale, reduced carriage sidings was the major concession to space;.not many got completed, things like divorce, house moves and suchlike tended to interfere.

Other hobbies, photography, gardening and music, used to run a 1962 Ford Classic until it was no longer fun crawling under and over it about 7 years ago. rarely switch the TV on, maybe 2 or 3 times a year.