Undecided Aggregates

halfwit

I'm using the 2011 challenge as a kick up the rear to build a micro-layout. I've never built a layout before, I tend to build locos and stock only, although I have owned a couple of second hand layouts so this is going to be an interesting experience.

Before coming up with a design I had a think about what stock I have available and how I could use it to best effect, after all there's no point in me designing something that would need new stock that I can't afford building for it. So it had to be based around small industrial shunters (particulary my Ruston 48DS) and 16T mineral wagons. I model in EM so at least the scale and gauge is sorted.

I want something that will be visually interesting on its own but with the addition of fiddleyards/sector plates etc. on each end to give some (limited) operational interest.

Also I want a scene to display my small locos to good effect.

So the idea for 'Undecided Aggregates' was born on a drive to Wales. The layout is based around an aggregates plant with wagons being loaded on one track and weighed on another.

I'd like the scene to give the impression of being part of a larger complex. I also like the idea of the stock being dwarfed by the surrounding buildings.

The name is temporary until I decide exactly what type of stone the plant deals with. Limestone is one possibility as is granite, perhaps for ballast.

Card mock-up stage.

A piece of cardboard was cut to size and a rough plan drawn on it, then stock placed on the card to see how it looks;

post-6749-0-12290000-1305911508_thumb.jpg

post-6749-0-85752700-1305911535_thumb.jpg

Offcuts of card were cut up into rough building shapes and placed on the plan;

post-6749-0-87687000-1305911551_thumb.jpg

post-6749-0-35654900-1305911563_thumb.jpg

post-6749-0-29504600-1305911575_thumb.jpg

post-6749-0-59696900-1305911586_thumb.jpg

The main building at the rear will form the backdrop and will house the hopper for the wagon loading bay. I intend that the wagons will be loaded with real stone under the loading chute (the 'lean-to' on the left). The other buildings at the corners are intended to act as view blockers to disguise the track exits, I might add raised walkways between these and the rear building.

Operation will consist of empty wagons arriving from a hidden fiddleyard on the left and being loaded under the chute one at a time before exiting right onto another fiddleyard. A sectorplate/traverser/whatever will then move to allow the wagons to be propelled onto the front track for weighing before being taken offstage again and then pushed back along the rear track towards unseen exchange sidings.

I'm intrigued by the use of dual gauge track and narrow gauge shunters...

Seriously though, it looks like a good idea - and my layouts never really get further than the cardboard box stage.

Thanks for the comments.

Boards.

The 3 baseboards have now been built. I've used some 12mm MDF which was lying around in the loft for the tops and 20mm x 15mm strip to brace it. A bit overkill perhaps but I'm viewing this as layout building practice (I've never built a layout before).

post-6749-0-76590500-1306339585_thumb.jpg

The two outer (non-scenic and technically not part of the challenge) boards feature sector plates. The left hand board has a 2 road plate allowing 2 trains to be on the layout at a time.

post-6749-0-39102600-1306339604_thumb.jpg

The right hand board has a 1 road plate to transfer the train from the loading/running track at the rear to the weighbridge track at the front.

post-6749-0-72938200-1306339624_thumb.jpg

The sector plate end radius was marked out using a piece of wood with 2 nails hammered in to form a crude trammel after working out the total length of the plate and the position of the pivot point.

I will be making the main board into a box, fish tank like, using some thin MDF.

Not gotta name, Paul...

Blwdwdda Stone?

When all your friends have dissolved

And you’re yakking on the phone

You’re techno-grounded

You’re.....

Nothing to be jealous of here Pete! Like the name 'Chard, can't see me using it though... :D

First building carcass.

I've put together the carcass for the front left building. I've made up the carcass from 6mm black foamboard (from The Works) glued together with wood glue. It will be clad with corrugated iron, probably Slaters, apart from the base which will be brick. Some pics;

post-6749-0-88812100-1306423102_thumb.jpg

post-6749-0-71018800-1306423117_thumb.jpg

post-6749-0-91940800-1306423128_thumb.jpg

I've never scratchbuilt a building before or worked with foamboard.

The slope sided mineral at the rear is sitting about where the loading hopper/chute will be sited.

Hopefully this will help to give the idea of big buildings/small trains that I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks James.

Facia Boards

I've started making the fascia boards, cut from 4mm MDF. I intend for the diorama to be viewed from the front picture frame style, so the front board will be cut accordingly which will probably be one of the last jobs to do. So far the boards have been cut to size with a jigsaw and the left hand board has had a hole cut into it so the train can exit onto the sector plate. The right hand board will be done when I figure out where the front track, which is slightly curved, will exit and decide on the final size of the right hand buildings. A pic;

post-6749-0-80906100-1307116818_thumb.jpg

The weighbridge base can be seen, this is from the Coopercraft Pooley Weighbridge kit and will need re-gauging

The rear board will need a hole cutting into it to feed the loading hopper, again I need to decide on the final size and position of the hopper. The building at the rear will be built around a foamboard carcass.

Ends in place.

The ends (4mm MDF) have now been pinned and glued to the baseboard.

post-6749-0-60391800-1307547351_thumb.jpg

And a piece of 6mm foamboard has been cut to size to form the carcass for the main building.

post-6749-0-82606400-1307547362_thumb.jpg

Ferrocrete van (recent ebay purchase, fate undecided, might be sold on) just for added visual interest.

I've now worked out the sizes for the other two buildings, which will sit on the right.

Next job will be to build the carcasses for those buildings and start on the loading hopper.

Rear board and main building carcass.

I glued and pinned the rear board in place today after cutting out a hole for the loading hopper (the wagons will be loaded from the rear of the diorama);

post-6749-0-50993800-1308086449_thumb.jpg

The carcass for the main building also has a cut out where the loading hopper will be;

post-6749-0-91116200-1308086460_thumb.jpg

I had to brace the rear with 8mm square stripwood as the foamboard had warped. The carcass will be fixed in place after its been clad and painted.

The loading bay has been added;

post-6749-0-07898700-1308086476_thumb.jpg

This will have girder supports added later.

Right hand front building carcass.

Again this is made from foamboard. It's main function is to help disguise the exit of the weighbridge line to the fiddleyard. It will be clad in corrugated iron and is meant to be the corner of a much bigger building. I may add a covered conveyor between it and the left hand building.

post-6749-0-63801800-1308242270_thumb.jpg

post-6749-0-01310900-1308242291_thumb.jpg

The roof will be out of sight at the top of the diorama to suggest a massive shed.

Between the tracks on the right hand side will sit a smaller brick built building, used as a workshop or stores. The carcass for this has been cut out but I'm waiting for some windows to arrive before I can glue it together.

Thanks Neil.

Loading hopper mock-up.

Tonight I've made up a cardboard mock-up of the loading hopper;

post-6749-0-76067500-1308343258_thumb.jpg

And in place at the rear of the layout;

post-6749-0-79196600-1308343274_thumb.jpg

This will allow the wagons to be filled with stone or ballast.

It will sit on a flat base which will give it stability and allow it to be glued in place.

The next job will be to make one out of plasticard.

I'm glad that you like it Neil.

There are a few layouts on the exhibition circuit that feature this kind of 'live loading', although I can't name one of the top of my head. So I won't claim to be doing anything new or clever.

Operation will probably be quite tedious after 5 minutes! However thats not the point, the point is that everything that I've done on this project so far has been breaking new ground for me and will prove worthwhile when I attempt a larger layout one day.

The 4 sides to the hopper have now been cut out, I'm using .040" plasticard, and I've started glueing them together. Mocking the hopper up in cardboard has proved worthwhile, it took 2 attempts to get a design that I was happy with.

Hi, I think thats what this modelling lark is all about, finding and doing new things and challenging your abillitys and learning new ones great work

why not try some sort of motor or something, im no expert on that front but would tedious element away laugh1.gif

Neil

Plasticard loading hopper.

Using the card mock up as a guide I've made up the final version of the hopper in plastic;

post-6749-0-53190000-1308863793_thumb.jpg

post-6749-0-49909000-1308863805_thumb.jpg

The hole in the bottom is for a short length of 10mm plastruct tube.

Neil, I did think about motors etc. but decided that a spoon would suffice. Perhaps on the next layout though.

One model working hopper that I know of was /is on Maenol Mine here on RMweb. To get the hopper to discharge satisfactorily and, ISTR, to simulate the noise, the maker (can't remember name, and haven't gone to look for it!!) used a vibrator (ooh-er missus) from a mobile phone.

Archived