Welcome to the Swiss Railways Group

DIW

• RMweb Premium

Welcome everyone to the Swiss Railways Group within RMweb.

It is intended that the Group will provide a focus for modellers of Swiss outline and enthusiasts of the Swiss railways, as well as a drop-in centre for anyone with a passing interest to see what is going on with Swiss projects within the RMweb community.

That's the starting point - let's see whether the Group evolves along those lines or takes on a different life entirely.

Cheers!

Dave

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi. My interst is both Swiss and UK. Having started with Trix Twin in the erly 50's and then a Trix Expres BLS Re 4/4 in 1962. I'm building a new layout with interchangeable buildings (and later, signals) so that I can run either as LNER / BR or SBB as I feel. I hve stock from Liliput (Feldschlossen Brewery Gastezug, EBT Re 4/5 And SBB 3/5), Hag BLS Ae 8/8 BTAbe Set and the RotePfeil rail car, Roco SBB 460, Marklin Ae 6/6, and Krokodil. And Lima SBB Gottardo in grey, Plus a few German locos from Fleischmann Roco Liliput & Marklin.

I still have the TE BLS but as it's 3 rail, I'll have to build a seperate layout for it.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hello Everyone my name Barbara Babs for short, I joined the Forum Today I collect N and Ho Gauge Swiss/ German  Mainly now Swiss I had my loft converted at the end of Last year so I could Keep My collection  very Secure  But also to build a sizable Layout mainly swiss outline round the Edges of the Loft. It has taken me nearly six months to sort and put the Collection up there I hope I can Gleen much info from you Guys. Track i am using is Fleischmann Profi track and all DCC,

Looking forward to talking to you all I am retired so i have now plenty of time.

Babs

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone, I'm Gustavo, I live in Viña del Mar, Chile. I have been modeling swiss H0 trains since I started in model railroading (1995). Actually I'm building my secobd layout with a mix of SBB/DB in the stardart gauge, and RHB/FO in narrow H0m gauge. Hope to learn from you and support in anything I can. If you are facebook user, I'm starting with a Lenz dcc forum, so everybody is invited to be part of. Search for "Lenz digital plus DCC forum". Regards from the end of the world. Gustavo

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone I'm Patrick living in North London.

After many years of holidaying in RhB land and collecting Bemo and other HOm models I decided, several years ago, to build a fair sized layout. I had difficulty finding the time to get the project underway and resorted to a professional baseboard and layout builder to produce the woodwork, lay the track, and install the electrics, leaving me to do all the scenery work.

Sadly the company I was using has folded and I therefore have the beginnings of a multi level Swiss layout. The three bespoke baseboards are built and I have added adjustable legs. All the woodwork is in birch ply, mostly 12 and 9mm, with some track including a helix in 6mm ply.

The plan is an L format (max. dimensions 2715mm x 2845mm)  with a base level shadow station (fiddle yard), from one end of which a two track helix takes trains up to, and down from the scenic level. The base level and helix have Peco HOm Code 75 track and paintwork already laid .

I have sadly come to the conclusion that taking the project forward myself with any chance of finishing it is unrealistic. And my wife would like the room back as a bedroom!

Do any of you knowledgable folks have any suggestions as to the best way of finding someone who may be interested in taking the project over?  I am happy to supply fullest details of the proposed plan, work done, and photos to anyone who might be interested.

I am not expecting to cover my outlay but regret it is not realistic to give it away! I trust I am not breaking any rules placing this here and appreciate any guidance and advice you might have.

Best regards

Patrick

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Patrick S said:

Hi everyone I'm Patrick living in North London.

Do any of you knowledgable folks have any suggestions as to the best way of finding someone who may be interested in taking the project over?  I am happy to supply fullest details of the proposed plan, work done, and photos to anyone who might be interested.

I am not expecting to cover my outlay but regret it is not realistic to give it away! I trust I am not breaking any rules placing this here and appreciate any guidance and advice you might have.

Hi Patrick, sorry its not going the way you would have liked. Best I can suggest would be to contact the London branch of the Swiss Railway Society to see if any local members may be interested in taking it over london@swissrailsoc.org.uk as they would be relatively local as shifting that about the country would be quite difficult.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, 

I'm living in Lausanne and have the pleasure of taking the Lausanne - Neuchatel - Neuchatel Serrières CFF trains every day and after 10 years i can attest to swiss trains reliability. I also regularly use the non-CFF narrow gauge trains to go to Blonay / Les Pleiades, Leysin, Les Diablerets, Gstaad and Champery and i'm a semi regular visitor to the steam museum in Chamby above Vevey. 

If anyone needs any local materials, maps, photos etc of anything near here then just let me know. 

Cheers

Tim 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone.

My name is Michael and I'm in the States. Southern Illinois.

I started my DB/ÖBB/SBB railroad just over two years ago and then discovered recently the RhB. Wish I had seen these cab ride videos before planning my layout.

Anyway, I have a mountain line in HO that I run one of the short ÖBB train on, and I have converted it to dual gauge HO/HOm.

I'm currently awaiting my new Bemo Allegra ABe 8/12 unit to get out of US Customs in Chicago. It was ordered from Union Modell Bahn on 18APR and I'm still waiting.

I sure am glad I found this place. I haven't seen any site with a dedicated forum to Swiss narrow gauge anywhere.

Glad to be here.

zhklvhw.jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello,

As a lurker and occasional poster, I have now decided to introduce myself properly as a fan of Swiss railways - and interest established by my late parents who first visited Switzerland in 1946. My first visit in 1963 (aged 13) sealed things and I have had models of Swiss vehicles ever since.

My current modelling interests include:

- Garden railway on 45mm gauge, mainly running models of RhB trains and a few Brunig trains - have plans to build a battery powered model of a Meiringen - Innertkirchen Bahn 4 wheeled "Battery" powered railcar.

P1080481.jpg.1a9e7f284ce639aa4a532189eda9acf9.jpg

P1080484.jpg.349c0b2c04901d93237c1cc9c0fc2d2d.jpg

There also a few "Deliberately Old-fashioned" "0" gauge coarse scale 3-rail trains, but the latest loco is slightly too large in gauge - although not far off!

P1080519.jpg.a0457325474fa54b2ea7deeda1e3a20c.jpg

P1080521.jpg.b91edd551da5c4d90947b2a9458f5f36.jpg

One day I'll tell more, but it will all get mixed up with interests in Home (British) railways large and small.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all

My name's Alan and I'm planning a layout that I will build in a new garden room my wife and I are going to build after our old garage has been demolished. She's given me permission to have a two foot wide baseboard along one wall. There will be a fiddle yard below it and the two will be connected via spirals that are in weatherproofed cabinets outside the main building. Total length including those cabinets..about thirty feet, eighteen of which will be the layout proper inside the building with trains appearing from a tunnel as they pass through the wall from outside and disappearing into other tunnels at the opposite end as they leave to negotiate the spirals, one for the main line and one for the branch. It's going to be built in HO-SF, 16.25 gauge to reduce wheel slop and improve the appearance of the pointwork, all of which will be handbuilt and wired for DCC. All the overhead will be scratchbuilt using etches created from a large library of artwork I have built up in CorelDraw over the years (this project has been a long time in the planning and it's been waiting for me to retire before it gets properly started...that's in six weeks time!) My interest is in Era III & IV so nearly everything will be in filthy green with a few concessions to modernity in rakes of SBB and BLS EWIVs, the BLS one having a 465 at the front. The pride of the line will be a Hui Modellbau rebuild and repaint of a Lima RAe six car Gottardo EMU which I bought about fifteen years ago. It bears about as much resemblance to the original Lima model as a kit built Cortina-based E-type Jag does to a real one. It's magnificent.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi, does anyone know the height of the Swiss double decker IC2000 coaches?  I am considering buying a rake of thesen in HO , but would like to know the vertical clearance required so that I can check if they will fit under my bridges and tunnels.

Thanks

Colin

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/01/2022 at 20:00, Colin_McLeod said:

Hi, does anyone know the height of the Swiss double decker IC2000 coaches?  I am considering buying a rake of thesen in HO , but would like to know the vertical clearance required so that I can check if they will fit under my bridges and tunnels.

Thanks

Colin

The Swiss have of course altered their bridges and tunnels to accept the IC2000, most recently to allow the stock to run Genève - Brig.

The height of an IC2000 is 4595mm from rail top to top of vehicle. 

For comparison and EWIV is 4050mm high from rail top

As you can see the difference is not as much as one might think, this is because the IC2000 are low slung so the EWIV chassis sits higher above the track than an IC2000

• Informative/Useful 2

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Everyone

I have posted on some threads a little while back but relocated from the UK to Geneva in January this year. Living in the city and being the first time I have not owned a car in 30 years I am using public transport a lot. The annual SwissPass half fare annual pass is excellent and already well used. Modelling wise I brought my extensive British outline collection but work permitting I will expand it into Swiss as well. Main issue at present is city living in a flat with stunning views but no room for a decent sized layout!

Whilst my modelling will be limited for the foreseeable I plan to post pics from my travels. One advantage of a central European location is the ability to get to other parts of the continent relatively quickly and easily as well, the Halfpass and excellent train services make it enjoyable.

Look forward to understanding more about the Swiss railways.

Tony

• Like 7

You lucky thing! Are you a member of the Swiss Railways Society? We are always in need of people living in or frequently visiting Switzerland to report on aspects of current Swiss railway operation and plans for development, to be included in the Society magazine - not major articles necessarily, just snippets for the Swiss News section. And photos of course. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/04/2023 at 21:05, Samedan said:

You lucky thing! Are you a member of the Swiss Railways Society? We are always in need of people living in or frequently visiting Switzerland to report on aspects of current Swiss railway operation and plans for development, to be included in the Society magazine - not major articles necessarily, just snippets for the Swiss News section. And photos of course. 

Thanks, although the cost of compulsory health insurance is eye watering!!

I am not am member at the moment and am taking lots of photos etc as travel by train a lot around Gva and also to see relations in Germany. Happy to share/post. Will look into it in between job hunting.

Would be interested to know if people are interested in photos of the current Swiss rail scene here on RMWeb, happy to post but don't want to clog up the board with non-modelling stuff if not wanted.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

Would be interested to know if people are interested in photos of the current Swiss rail scene here on RMWeb, happy to post but don't want to clog up the board with non-modelling stuff if not wanted.

Certainly! Start a thread with a suitable title, then we can follow it. Have a look at @jamie92208's thread 'Moves at Limoges' in the French section if you want inspiration!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, DIW said:

Certainly! Start a thread with a suitable title, then we can follow it. Have a look at @jamie92208's thread 'Moves at Limoges' in the French section if you want inspiration!

Thanks for the mention. I had never been to Switzerland until last May.  However I have a good trainspotting  friend here in France who models the BLS., in particular Auseberg on the northern ramp of the Lotchberg.  He dragged me to Switzerland in May andwe spent 4 days using a Eurail pass.  I was blown away and want to go back.  My photos of that trip are on my Rest of the World thread accessed from my signature below. Which for some reason doesn't appear.  However the link below takes you to page 11 where the Swiss trip starts

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1