Your Waverley Route Models

Guest Max Stafford

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi,

Looking good!

We see to be choosing the same prototypes, except I went for Bonnie Dundee with my A1 :) Here's my version of 46462.

32633893135_e2fc767645_o.png

Cheers

Dave

We do!!!

My ivatt came cheap as it came as LNER black so I just blasted it into unlined black and did the decals. 46462 is interesting for me as I've seen photographs pottering about east Lothian and also someone on here noted it was a regular with an inspection saloon so ideal for the NGS inspection saloon.

Got a few others on the workbench but I'll not spoil the fun, see if we're aligned again. Bit more unlikely as all three are Kingmoor locos this time.

Edited by millerhillboy
  • Like 2

One final one I don't think I've posted before but again apologies if so....another like all the above from the Alba weathering studios.... a split box peak.

In my defence I do all the fettling, and decals but Dave at Alba really brings them together to my eye.

07.08.16%20040_zpstbeqmdfe.jpg

Edited by millerhillboy
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

The postman has brought goodies. This might be seen as a statement of intent. I've had thirty years to try and work out how to recreate a tiny bit of the WR and I still can't decide how to go about it. All the stations on the wild and woolly section either side of Whitrope seem to be difficult for various reasons, usually a complete lack of scenic breaks. I'm wondering whether to be super brave and try to do Shankend station and viaduct which has a deep cutting either end - 15' x 3' scenic area looks an awful lot in "N" gauge but I suspect it isn't enough for this.

DSCN1018_zps5xzxuppc.jpg

• Like 2

I've been thinking some more about Shankend.  I reckon a 4 x 3 board is about the largest size I can handle unaided.  At the moment I live in a tiny cottage, and the only way I will get some WR into my life is to build the scenic section on three boards, work on one at a time, and hope that by the time I have all three done I'll be living in a bigger house.

So, Shankend in 12 feet?  (In N gauge or 2mmFS). Viaduct is about four feet, scale it down from 15 to 12 arches and it should easily fit onto one board along with the northern approach.  Station is only a little thing, maybe four feet from the signalbox to the north end of the platforms., especially if I lose one of the goods yard roads. That gives me four feet for the scenic bit in the middle which is almost too much. I'll have to thoroughly mangle the landscape around the signalbox to provide a scenic break, but the same goes for every other WR station I've looked at, possible exception of Hassendean which somehow doesn't appeal as a location.

Possibly shortening the viaduct will ruin its fine proportions, but I think it will be OK. I'm pondering doing the whole thing to 2mm finescale track standards just for fun (there isn't a whole lot of pointwork outside the fiddle yard).  Period: I'm torn between mid-fifties when no-one was even thinking about closing the WR, and death steam circa 1966 with that fabulous mixture of filthy steam locos and BR blue corporate image.  And Claytons of course.   I could do both, but strictly speaking I'd need a removable goods yard as it had been cut down to a single siding by 1966.

Incidentally, while trying to confirm that bit of info I found a photo showing the Down Outer Home at Shankend.  It's co-acting.  Ooooh. I'm in love.

• RMweb Gold

Nobody has done Gorebridge Richard if that helps as a suggestion?

It means buying another book mind.....

It lends itself extremely well to 2mm N or finescale and can be extended either way as space allows domestically.

Shank bridge to the north for example and maybe part of Borthwick bank to the south.

Gorebridge platforms were on the level too.

Iain Mac.

Nobody has done Gorebridge Richard if that helps as a suggestion?

It means buying another book mind.....

It lends itself extremely well to 2mm N or finescale and can be extended either way as space allows domestically.

Shank bridge to the north for example and maybe part of Borthwick bank to the south.

Gorebridge platforms were on the level too.

Iain Mac.

I'd looked at Gorebridge and it would work well as a model with an overbridge either end of the station.  But I have the same problem there as with Hassendean which is that the location doesn't really appeal, at least on paper.  The section of the WR which fascinates me is the wild hill country on the Hawick - Newcastleton stretch.  That limits me to Shankend, Stobs or Steele Road. (Or Riccarton Junction if I win the lottery.) I think I may need to organise a road trip, have a look at that northern section and see if I can fall in love with it.  Of course Gorebridge is now open again, so I could even take a train there.

Meanwhile... I can't help thinking that if a manufacturer is going to produce a real authentic WR locomotive it would be rude not to purchase it.  As a result, 60079 Bayardo of Carlisle Canal shed is now sitting on my desk at home.  I see Farish have released their A2 as 60537 Bachelors Button, but I'm trying to resist as funds are a little short.  The problem with these short production runs is that if you don't buy them when they are released, it's almost impossible to track them down later. 

Richard

...60079 Bayardo of Carlisle Canal shed is now sitting on my desk at home.  ...A2 as 60537 Bachelors Button, 

And when funds allow 60093 Coranach of Cana shed too.

Then you'll have half of the Canal A3s. 

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

...60079 Bayardo of Carlisle Canal shed is now sitting on my desk at home.  ...A2 as 60537 Bachelors Button, 

And when funds allow 60093 Coranach of Cana shed too.

Then you'll have half of the Canal A3s. 

Cheers

Dave

Noooo! Stop it now. I don't need any encouragement.  Actually I think the next purchase might be some Dapol Gresley coaches as they are plentiful at the moment, but who knows when the next batch will be along?

• 4 weeks later...

A few snaps of my almost complete 60085 manna which had a stint on the route from 64a before withdrawal. The loco was originally a tender drive example but had been converted to loco drive complete witha new tender chassis and narrowed tender body. post-10572-0-60769500-1496398489_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-13278000-1496398517_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-57615400-1496398539_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-60078800-1496398581_thumb.jpg

And another which has been converted from a railroad flying scotsman into 60099 call boy, in similar fashion to my recent conversion into spearmint ie using a railraod p2 tender which keeps the cost down. I had originally intended to have the loco with double chimney, elephant ears and late crest but i have currently run out of double chimneys so for the moment the loco is in a slightly earlier condition.post-10572-0-27612700-1496398846_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

A WR loco although not on the WR: 61184 of St Margarets runs into the bay platform at Longframlington with an inspection saloon, while a North Blyth 2MT, 46474, waits to return to Morpeth with the twice weekly branch goods. October 1960.

The Dapol B1 is the first of my "Shankend" locos to get some attention in the form of general dirtying and a new number. I managed to break the right hand combination link bracket off the footplate - it was slightly bent and I didn't realise it was glued on.  In fiddling about with it I then sheared the rivet holding the link to the bracket. I used a 16BA brass screw and a crankpin washer off a 2mm Assoc chassis etch to bodge it all back together. It's a lovely runner, not as nice to look at as the Farish version, bit crude in places and with a driveshaft running through the cab, but at least it doesn't have that poxy Farish tender drive. 

DSCN1065_zpsohvo1ewe.jpg

• 3 months later...

A heads up for those off you modelling the WR in N gauge - I'm thinning out my loco collection.

I have several for sale on the N Gauge Forum, @ http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=classifieds;cat=5 where they are listed for sale by DCCDave.

They are 

2MT renumbered as 46489

2MT renumbered as 46462

J39 renumbered as 64795

B1 renumbered as 61244 - Strang Steel

All are DCC fitted, weathered have a crew, lamps and real coal in the tender.

You can see pictures of them earlier in this thread.

If you are not a member of the N Gauge Forum and are interested in one (or more) please PM me so we can arrange something.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 months later...

Not quite a Waverley Route loco, but Canal's N15s probably handled more WR freight traffic than any St Margarets V2. 69155 started life as a plastic-bodied Farish GP tank from a starter train set and I built it just for fun really as I have absolutely no use for an N15.  It is wrong in every single dimension, partly because of the compromises involved in using a bad RTR model as a base, and partly because I was working from a very inaccurate drawing and didn't look at enough photographs. Still needs a couple of details to finish it off and it is a bit crude by modern RTR standards, but there can't be many N gauge N15s around.

DSCN1308-M.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Not quite a Waverley Route loco, but Canal's N15s probably handled more WR freight traffic than any St Margarets V2. 69155 started life as a plastic-bodied Farish GP tank from a starter train set and I built it just for fun really as I have absolutely no use for an N15.  It is wrong in every single dimension, partly because of the compromises involved in using a bad RTR model as a base, and partly because I was working from a very inaccurate drawing and didn't look at enough photographs. Still needs a couple of details to finish it off and it is a bit crude by modern RTR standards, but there can't be many N gauge N15s around.

DSCN1308-M.jpg

Cant comment on the accuracy of the model but it certainly looks the part and very well made considering.

Your pkatform surfaces look superb by the way as well as your trackwork. Unless you've finescaled the GP chassis I'm assuming thats finetrax? Looks great whatever it is,

Cant comment on the accuracy of the model but it certainly looks the part and very well made considering.

Your pkatform surfaces look superb by the way as well as your trackwork. Unless you've finescaled the GP chassis I'm assuming thats finetrax? Looks great whatever it is,

Yes, it is Finetrax and looks rather pretty.  This is my Borders inspired layout "Longframlington".  At the risk of going off topic here's another view, with 46474 (allocated to North Blyth for a few months in 1960/61) on the daily goods from Morpeth.

DSCF3001%20%283%29-M.jpg

• Like 2