Your Waverley Route Models

Guest Max Stafford

I went to Tadrail in Berkhamsted today and met up with Roy LS of this parish who was exhibiting his N Gauge model of Whitrope Siding. The most amusing comment was form a man to a young boy on the lines of "The layout is not yet finished he still has to make the buildings". A very atmospheric interpretation of the scene. It displays a good range of the typical trains of the last years period.. Funny that we were talking about the lack of an N Gauge A3. Quite a surprise when I see the Dapol section of the forum.

Well done to Roy for promoting the Waverley Route.

Bernard

Hi Bernard

Thank you for your kind words, it was a pleasure to meet you and talk about the Waverley Route, a line I have developed a massive interest in over the years, although I realise how little I actually know!

The more I looke at the layout during the day the more I realised there were things I could improve on, and once it is up in my modelling room without the pressure of having to get it done in time for a show I will do more than a bit of tidying up.

In my Railway Room I have had another layout (Also N) based on Riccarton Junction under construction for 10 years but it never got much further than track and a start on scenery, Now I have Whitrope to play with I think I will rip it up and plan it again.

Thanks again.

Roy

• Like 2

Riccarton Jn ........n gauge....... now that'd be worth seeing.

Riccarton was started with big plans but lots of compromises were needed as far as the track plan was concerned though, especially the junction/pointwork to the Branch to fit it in an 8ft by 6ft box-room. Something just did not "feel" right about it and working on it slowed down and in the end stopped - it became little more than a a glorified test-track in truth.

If I do start to re-plan/build it again I may decide to make it portable (the curent one is built in around the walls of the room and removing the boards will mean destruction.

In the meantime I will set Whitrope Siding up today and start work sorting out various bits and pieces of finishing that need doing.to it.

Regards

Roy

I have spent a few days tidying a few bits of my layout following TaD-Rail and attached are a few more pictures in case anyone would like to see. In shot is one of my new Farish A1's (Just superb!) and a real favourite of mine the weathered Farish B1.

I am a bit happier with the layout now than I was at the show (Lesson learned - look at it under really bright and make sure it looks ok like that - it is totally unforgiving).

I still need to replace those signals (Which were only ever temporary for the show, but my dilemma is, do I try to make prototypical lattice post signals from MSE kits and leave them non-working or wait for Dapol's (albeit totally incorrect) LMS Tubular Post signals and have them working?

Also need to find more correct handrails for the culvert (Bridge 199), but not sure where to source them from. I guess I could make them from micristrip, but I'm thinking one wrong move cleaning the track and...

Anyway, nuff said...

Roy

post-4469-0-17458600-1318705483.jpg

post-4469-0-48419700-1318705505_thumb.jpg

post-4469-0-89725300-1318705533_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Attention N gauge WR modellers!

Stand by for a wallet bashing... Dapol will have green 26s at Warley and have announced a new A3 and A4 to be in the shops for Christmas. What with Farish's recent A1 and J39s, Standard 5s and Mickeys on the way too (and rumours about a possible A2) it could be a very merry Christmas time...

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Attention N gauge WR modellers!

Stand by for a wallet bashing... Dapol will have green 26s at Warley and have announced a new A3 and A4 to be in the shops for Christmas. What with Farish's recent A1 and J39s, Standard 5s and Mickeys on the way too (and rumours about a possible A2) it could be a very merry Christmas time...

Cheers

Dave

And expensive...

I already had the J39 and Ivatt on order and recently a 26 was added too but now how am I going to resist a "Lemberg" in final condition? Ok yes admittedly I would have preferred it to have been a "Prince Palatine", "Spearmint" or "Salmon Trout" with cabside stripe but that is probably just me being ungrateful!

An A2 too though? That was a rumour I hadn't heard....it's enough to send my wallet into complete meltdown...

Happy days...

Roy

I

And expensive...

I already had the J39 and Ivatt on order and recently a 26 was added too but now how am I going to resist a "Lemberg" in final condition? Ok yes admittedly I would have preferred it to have been a "Prince Palatine", "Spearmint" or "Salmon Trout" with cabside stripe but that is probably just me being ungrateful!

An A2 too though? That was a rumour I hadn't heard....it's enough to send my wallet into complete meltdown...

Happy days...

Roy

I

Roy I have all 3 in Farish format, just check page 1 of this thread although '41 is chassis-less and smokebox less at the moment, but renamed renumbered

I was considering selling them (PM me if you have an interest) although I think I'll hold out for Farish to do the A3 and A4 replacements, not that I know anything, but I've just got a feeling they will try and recoup the investment from producing the 4 wheel tender drive at some point. I think I heard mutterings that Farish might have a few surprises up their sleeves so maybe its just that. Similar to the Farish/Dapol B1 scenario.

As much as Dapol are to be congratulated I'm just not a fan of having a large driveshaft between cab and tender.

Edited by millerhillboy

Roy I have all 3 in Farish format, just check page 1 of this thread although '41 is chassis-less and smokebox less at the moment, but renamed renumbered

I was considering selling them (PM me if you have an interest) although I think I'll hold out for Farish to do the A3 and A4 replacements, not that I know anything, but I've just got a feeling they will try and recoup the investment from producing the 4 wheel tender drive at some point. I think I heard mutterings that Farish might have a few surprises up their sleeves so maybe its just that. Similar to the Farish/Dapol B1 scenario.

As much as Dapol are to be congratulated I'm just not a fan of having a large driveshaft between cab and tender.

I have a couple of old poole style A3's and A4's including "Prince Palatine" but for me the trouble is that next to the most recent offerings they just do not stand up that well - they look very dated and a bit crude (That said yours do look rather nice).

I have to say, based on my experience of the A1s would also prefer a tender-driven Farish A3 and A4 as I am not a big fan of the Dapol driveshaft arrangement either. I had my fingers crossed that given the A1 tender-drive they would be next and also have a similar hunch that they will be produced.

Also, in my view (to date at least) the new generation Farish steam locos are much better engineered, better finished and somehow have much more finesse. Now accepted that could all change with the Dapol A3 and A4 and the advantage of the big tender is that at least most of the shaft will be at least to an extent concealed.

I am certainly not going to place an order for a Dapol A3 until I have seen good pictures of a finished production model, but the prototype lash up does show promise.

Roy

I am certainly not going to place an order for a Dapol A3 until I have seen good pictures of a finished production model, but the prototype lash up does show promise.

Nor me. Given their intention to catch the Christmas market, I'm betting they have a finished one at Warley.

Dave

Edited by DaveArkley

I have a couple of old poole style A3's and A4's including "Prince Palatine" but for me the trouble is that next to the most recent offerings they just do not stand up that well - they look very dated and a bit crude (That said yours do look rather nice).

Thanks, I did do a fair bit detailing especially on the tender rears, but there's only so much you can do with them. Since I done those models I could revisit them and do more detailing, I've since worked out how to do front lamp irons and better couplings, and vac pipes.

Apologies to the many non-N gauge modellers on this thread, as the whole discussion has taken a distinct turn towards 2mm. Surely with the imminent arrival of dapols 26 and exciting A3/A4 news in the pipeline hopefully we can be forgiven.

I'm hoping a few picture might appease

My (dads) layout isn't based on anywhere, other than its based on somewhere just south-east of edinburgh somewhere in the millerhill/niddrie areas to allow me to have a basis of WR stock but with some Edinburgh stragglers thrown in.

60100 Spearmint works northbound

old farish mk1s, since replaced with the excellent new ones, I ought to photo the new ones this weekend when down visiting my old fella!

temp002.jpg

Grimey St Mags resident 60824 works southbound

temp004.jpg

Edited by millerhillboy
  • Like 3

Some more from the more 'built up end of the layout

D1970, now since tranferred to the Bay of E, awaits at the currently nameless station, at the last stop before Edinburgh. 60824 also simmers in the station loop heading north on loaded 16t coal wagons, no doubt from Lady Victoria.

March11027.jpg

D5066 works south on some tankers whilst 60100 by now is relegated to local stopping services

March11006.jpg

Edited by millerhillboy
  • Like 4

I'll try again this weekend to get a better lineup photograph of the depot (nominally Niddrie something or other) quite liked the sound of Niddrie Cross possibly?

On shed are the usual St Mag suspects '52 and '100, 60824 (again). D1970, D5066 from haymarket and a straggler D7614 from Eastfield has made its way east.

temp001.jpg

Finally D1970 again passes a peak hauled engineers train, just emerging from the overbridge just south of the station.

March11025.jpg

• Like 7

I am sure non N/2mil modellers will not mind the temporary takeover, there are some cracking models there,

I especially like the A3s, they really look the part, and that typically grubby V2 too - very nice.

Can I ask how you did the V2's outside steam pipes? I've often pondered whether they would be a viable aftermarket accessory, maybe in resin or whitemetal - something one could use as a quick and easy mod simply glueing in place and painting. I recall speaking to Graham Hubbard of Bachmann many years back and he told me that a number of different variants of the V2 were planned including one with outside pipes, but such is the way things have moved on in N even the V2 has been left behind somewhat and I doubt they will ever see the light of day now.

Roy

Edited by Roy L S

I am sure non N/2mil modellers will not mind the temporary takeover, there are some cracking models there,

I especially like the A3s, they really look the part, and that typically grubby V2 too - very nice.

Can I ask how you did the V2's outside steam pipes? I've often pondered whether they would be a viable aftermarket accessory, maybe in resin or whitemetal - something one could use as a quick and easy mod simply glueing in place and painting. I recall speaking to Graham Hubbard of Bachmann many years back and he told me that a number of different variants of the V2 were planned including one with outside pipes, but such is the way things have moved on in N even the V2 has been left behind somewhat and I doubt they will ever see the light of day now.

Roy

Thanks Roy, yes at normal viewing distance both A3s are reasonably acceptable although I'm sure the new Dapol ones will bowl them out completely.

Ah yes, I forgot about the external steam pipe modification. It was a 15 minute job, sections of Evergreen plastic pipe cut and filed to shape.

Once pretty much the right shape, they were glued in place and then filler used to blend the join. Simples!

Yes, I remember when I first saw the V2 and was amazed by the detail. However the boiler bottom skirt now looks rotten and hopefully eventually it'll get reworked to current standards.

Mines is also lowered. Dr Al of this parish is the architect of this mod, and I'm sure its explained somewhere else on Rmweb. The difference is subtle but well worthwhile.

I was pondering doing a 60813 with the stovepipe chimney but never got round to buying a second V2.

Edited by millerhillboy

I've just received a picture of Holbeck's D26 as prepared by Ian of Mercig studios. Ready to haul the Up Waverley just as soon as the Farish Full Brakes and Sleepers are released. :)

Class 45 D26

Edited by DaveArkley
  • Like 3

I've just received a picture of Holbeck's D26 as prepared by Ian of Mercig studios. Ready to haul the Up Waverley just as soon as the Farish Full Brakes and Sleepers are released. :)

Looks absolutely fantastic - just needs the headboard :)

Regards

Roy

Noticed that Gala Water layout http://www.eastkilbr...k/galaWater.php is one of the exhibits at the 2012 Model Rail Scotland, http://modelrail-sco...category/18/56/

Worth a visit I think!

Oh, the Brit on the Presflos, A3 at 'Bowshank' and J39 on timber are beautiful. Well, it's all superb and far better than anything I'm upto, and it harnesses the right ingredients without being cliched. Great stuff!