South Pimlico 2004-2011

Colin

• RMweb Premium

Seven years almost to the day, the last train (a suitably adorned 2EPB) paused at South Pimlico before exiting stage left for the last time at the Leytonstone show (which, fittingly enough, is where it all began in May 2004). I've attached a few photos, and Lloyd (Baby Deltic) has a couple of pics of the last train which I'm sure he'll add in due course.

The layout has already been partly dismantled - various details and favourite structures have been removed and 2 of the scenic boards are with new owners; the remaining 2 have been given to a good friend who's been meaning to start a layout for years. The intention is to build "more of the same but better" - the track plan has been worked out, I already have the stock, fiddle yards, trestles etc so it's just a matter of building 14' of south London urban grot - this time the railway will occupy viaducts, which is a much more authentic arrangement. Although it's my layout, I will no doubt be receiving assistance from the usual crew, especially with the wiring!

I'd just like to say a big and sincere thank you to all RMWebbers who've helped me at exhibitions over the years, also for the invaluable advice and information I obtained via the various forums.

post-63-0-69146700-1306049829_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-44271000-1306050644_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-73127400-1306050649_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-51358600-1306050654_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-33993000-1306050659_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-83355200-1306050663_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-01398900-1306050669_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-66598000-1306050673_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-17506500-1306050678_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-55463900-1306050682_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-98770400-1306050686_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-88236700-1306050700_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Having moved to France in 2004, and not being the most regular of exhibition visitors anyway, this is the first time I've seen pics of South Pimlico - and I'm quite sorry! Looks really good, certainly captures the feel of the area, and the Pink Floyd Battersea Power Station is just brill at spotting the locale.

You are right, though, that arches and viaducts dominate once you leave Victoria, so please keep us posted on progress with the new layout!

• Like 2

And I'd like to thank you too Colin for sharing South Pimlico with us over the years on the site and at that first members' day in Derby. I know the feel of the layout has inspired many around here and you were a vanguard of BR(S) grot around here and it's only now the mainstream manufacturers are catching up.

Here's to your next one!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Many of us were privileged to have a play with SP at Ally Pally a couple of years ago - it was a mini RMWeb meet up. It was the first time many of us had met and lasting friendships were born (so SP has a lot to answer for!) and, of course, it was a pleasure to meet Colin who is one of the good guys out there.

It has remained one of my favourite layouts so sad to see its demise but I'm sure that once again Colin will give us something more to enjoy.

• Like 1

It's sad to see it go, I've had the opportunity to enjoy playing with SP a few times, the most memorable being the first members day up in Derby :lol:

I look forward to seeing your next project Colin.

• Like 1

Yes, one of my all time favourite layouts. Brings back lovely memories of my time in and out of Decca Records on the Albert Embankment in the late '60's before Lambeth Walk (and it's Eel and Pie Shop) disappeared under the weight of the local council.......

Looking forward to the new one to rise Phoenix like.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

Well I and my 11 year old son travelled from Oxford yesterday (coach,underground,replacement bus,replacement bus, 378NLL,172Gospel Oak-Barking)and was more or less knackered by the time I got there, half an hour before opening time. My motive was to try a new HJ pre-production loco out on Harford Street, thanks to the courtesy of the team, but also to see South Pimlico for the first and last time. Well I wasn't disappointed and the banter and the freindliness made the day very memorable. I had never really 'met' any of the team before but I must say I was very impressed by the way they relaxed with the hobby -- just the way it should be. South Pimlico didn't look in the least 'worn out' and I managed to take one or two shots which I hope represent what I think is a typical 60's model reconstruction of South London railway. Many thanks for the privilege.

The first shot shows BRCW Type 3 Class 33/1 D6520 leaving South Pimlico on a 4TC for the last time.

The second shot shows BRCW Type 3 Class 33 passing South Pimlico signal box on the last parcels to South Pim.

The final shot shows the happy teams of Harford Street and South Pimlico celebrating the passing of the final train on South Pim.

post-4697-0-68992200-1306065730_thumb.jpg

post-4697-0-90486900-1306065923_thumb.jpg

post-4697-0-75010300-1306066047_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the pics BV (especially the group shot) - the layout might not have looked worn out, but structurally it most certainly was! The two centre baseboards in particular have sagged and twisted, leading to much time-consuming "trueing up" before anything could run. They were acquired from a former club colleague's aborted project and had already seen a fair bit of use.

Once my mate takes delivery of them, they'll be screwed together as part of a layout that never leaves home.

Anyway, it was a great send-off - after unloading the van, some of us rounded the day off with a well-earned pint :drinks: at our local - the aptly named "Bricklayers Arms"!

I've worked with Colin for some time on South Pimlico & have helped out at most exhibitions. We were continually amused by comments of disgust by those who like clean layouts :pleasantry:

I have enjoyed the shows we have done together but sadly it was time for it to be retired.

It has ran well & very badly at times but the final show was not a black mark.

Colin has plans for a replacement & we will start work on this soon.

Colin & I have both learned from this layout. From what we have discussed, I know the replacement will be an improvement in many ways

See you all on the exhibition circuit (although as a viewer for a while) :drinks:

• Like 1

One of my favourite layouts to have appeared on RMweb over the years. Superby atmospheric. Particularly like the fact that the last train was boringly everyday and not some exotic nonsense! Mind you, a Eurostar wouldn't have been much out of place...

Very muchly looking forward to the new one.

• Like 1

Shame to see it go, what is going to happen to it? not the scrapheap I hope! Looking forward to the replacement, can you give us a sneak preview of what its likely to be? ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Shame to see it go, what is going to happen to it? not the scrapheap I hope! Looking forward to the replacement, can you give us a sneak preview of what its likely to be? ;)

None of the boards are to be destroyed - I have retained some of my favourite details plus all vehicles, figures and one or two buildings for the next layout while what's left is being given to various friends to incorporate into their own projects.

The baseboards will shortly be under construction and the trackplan for "SP2" is all but finalised; when I have some fairly firm ideas about scenic treatment I'll post some details.

One thing I will be incorporating is two separate eras - initially I'll persevere with the 1966/67 "end of SR steam" scenario, but I intend to also be able to jump forward 10-12 years to the end of the '70s with banger blue & blue/grey EMUs everywhere, 33s/73s on vac- and air-braked freight stock and maybe even a class 74 on the milk train, as happened towards the end of their short careers.

All being well I'll have something running by this time next year and the layout in an exhibitable (if still incomplete) state by my 60th birthday in 2013.

All the best for the future layout Colin!

I certainly liked what you did with South Pimlico. It had that 'rough bit of South London' about it! Looking forward to progress reports on the new build.

Colin

• Like 1

One thing I will be incorporating is two separate eras - initially I'll persevere with the 1966/67 "end of SR steam" scenario, but I intend to also be able to jump forward 10-12 years to the end of the '70s with banger blue & blue/grey EMUs everywhere, 33s/73s on vac- and air-braked freight stock and maybe even a class 74 on the milk train, as happened towards the end of their short careers.

Glad it's being 'recycled'.The new layout sounds mouthwatering! look forward to that!

Cheers

post-63-0-83355200-1306050663_thumb.jpg

I can tell you that Colin has very generously passed this extension board with the factory and branch onto me, minus the vehicles and figures. It's now sat on top of two bookcases in my spare room/den, with a class 33 on the Up line and an HBA in the abandoned neck. It looks a lot bigger in there than in a big exhibition hall!

Not sure how I'm going to develop it yet, especially as it looks like we might be moving in a year or so and I'm hoping any possible new den will be a bit bigger!

• Like 3

I have to say this layout is one from which I have drawn much inspiration. It's wonderfully atmospheric, detailed and nuanced, capturing time and place in a way very few layouts do. It certainly sets a standard!

The prospect of "more of the same but better" is exciting and I look forward to following developments.

Any idea what it will be called (so I know what to look out for when the new thread starts?)

Good luck and have fun :yes:

Mark

• Like 1

That photo with the 'Union Jack Mini' on it really sets the time period... they should've played "Waterloo Sunset" as the last train ran - Swinging '60s London summed up in a Pop Song and a Layout... :D

RIP South Pimlico..!! :cry:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can tell you that Colin has very generously passed this extension board with the factory and branch onto me, minus the vehicles and figures.

I would say you are a very lucky feller. This looks like a great starting point from which your own layout can develop - although reaching other people's standards isn't always easy! Elsewhere on RMWeb we've seen second-owners taking good layouts and turning them into great ones. You don't have much need to improve on this - but matching it would be great!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have to say this layout is one from which I have drawn much inspiration. It's wonderfully atmospheric, detailed and nuanced, capturing time and place in a way very few layouts do. It certainly sets a standard!

The prospect of "more of the same but better" is exciting and I look forward to following developments.

Any idea what it will be called (so I know what to look out for when the new thread starts?)

Good luck and have fun :yes:

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for your kind comments - funnily enough I never envisaged the layout as inspirational - quite honestly the feedback I've received over the years is well in excess of all my wildest expectations.

The working title is rather unimaginatively "South Pimlico 2".

Having created a rationale for the station and the line, I'm rather reluctant to waste it. All the nameboards have been saved from the old layout for possible future use, although some of the others who've helped me over the years think I should use a different name this time around. We shall see.........

• RMweb Premium

That photo with the 'Union Jack Mini' on it really sets the time period... they should've played "Waterloo Sunset" as the last train ran - Swinging '60s London summed up in a Pop Song and a Layout... :D

RIP South Pimlico..!! :cry:

"Waterloo Sunset" is in my all-time favourite songs and I did consider playing it, but logistical problems prevailed - it would have been a lot of bother bringing my Ipod dock to the show!

"Waterloo Sunset" is in my all-time favourite songs and I did consider playing it, but logistical problems prevailed - it would have been a lot of bother bringing my Ipod dock to the show!

I had my iPod in my bag with it on, all we'd have needed was some speakers. Shame to be wise after the event...

But we did have Lloyd humming it biggrin.gif

The working title is rather unimaginatively "South Pimlico 2".

... some of the others who've helped me over the years think I should use a different name this time around. We shall see.........

How about "Pimlico South" ??..... ;)