Welcome to Diesel Hydraulic group

Downendian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Folks

A new group that hopes to draw together all like minded oil-swillers on the forum.

I hope to do some work over the next few days in collecting together info on this much lamented group of early BR diesels.

enjoy

Neil

Morning all!

Sadly, I never got to see any of the British hydraulics at work on BR (too stuck in the midlands as a child!) but I do know I've always like them. Here is my first viewing of any D-H (apologies as I've posted it before!);

post-6892-0-84421300-1306217422_thumb.jpg

D1062 being towed through Derby in about 1978! According to research I've done, it was D1062 anyway!

Not too long after this, I bought the Hornby model of this loco and thought it was the most beautiful loco I'd ever seen! I still maintain it wasn't a bad looking model - for it's day!

Anyway, since then I've seen plenty of hydraulics in action on preserved lines, probably my best action was on the SVR in about 1985? (when they had the class 59!) and my mate and I enjoyed top & tailed Westerns - Mmmm! Glorious stuff!

Best hydraulic action I've ever had was in Germany in 2008! (different story!).

:drinks:

John E.

• RMweb Gold

I've just pinned two "reference" threads- please feel free to set some other such threads going

e.g. Class 22 Front end Variation (Nidge and Geoff Endacott have much info here, I've seen it)

Hydraulic liveries and dates (Nidge?)

Then I'll pin em...enjoying this moderating thing!!

Neil

Hi John,

I'd be very surprised if this was D1062 as it was based on the Torbay Steam Railway during 1978 and it would not have been easy to extract it [having read some articles in the Western Loco Assoc's magazines about the time on the TSR]. D1062 & D1013 went from the TSR via the wheel lathe at Canton to the SVR in 1979, and when they have attended open days, it has been with nameplates and electricification flashes.

D1048 went green in early preservation, D1010 to Merehead, D1015 would have been at Swindon in 78 and I think D1041 was probably still blue.

I think you have taken a historic shot of D1023 en route from Swindon to the NRM!

SO - How many Westerns visited Derby? D1052 on a railtour in 1975, D1015 and now we know D1023 too.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Just come and noticed this forum and hydraulics are right up my street ever since seeing D1030 at the old midland rd station at bedford 1973.I then hunted the remaining westerns down spending time at bletchley /paddington/old oak common and reading and just caught the last remaining hymeks at old oak.To me the western is the most handsome diesel to ever grace are rails and may they long continue.Other members of notes is well worth a read.

richard.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi John,

I'd be very surprised if this was D1062 as it was based on the Torbay Steam Railway during 1978 and it would not have been easy to extract it [having read some articles in the Western Loco Assoc's magazines about the time on the TSR]. D1062 & D1013 went from the TSR via the wheel lathe at Canton to the SVR in 1979, and when they have attended open days, it has been with nameplates and electricification flashes.

D1048 went green in early preservation, D1010 to Merehead, D1015 would have been at Swindon in 78 and I think D1041 was probably still blue.

I think you have taken a historic shot of D1023 en route from Swindon to the NRM!

SO - How many Westerns visited Derby? D1052 on a railtour in 1975, D1015 and now we know D1023 too.

Paul

At least one more:

20.1.77: D1013 worked the 07.30 Swansea - Leeds throughout, returning on the 14.43 Leeds - Plymouth. Plans were made to swop the loco on route, but all "attempts" failed because of a lack of replacement motive power.

Are you sure about the photo being D1023? Isn't the Class 31 on the wrong end for what would have been a northbound working?

• RMweb Gold

At least one more:

20.1.77: D1013 worked the 07.30 Swansea - Leeds throughout, returning on the 14.43 Leeds - Plymouth. Plans were made to swop the loco on route, but all "attempts" failed because of a lack of replacement motive power.

Are you sure about the photo being D1023? Isn't the Class 31 on the wrong end for what would have been a northbound working?

It looks very much to me that the Class 31 is leading the train towards the south (well Burton at any rate) - not the north.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Chaps

I d just like to pin my colours to the mast here. I m a big DH fan. My main period of interest is the mid 1960s, with a focus on 1966. (Steam had ended in Dec 1965, then a stable period up until September 1966 when the 1st blue liveries started to appear.)

I just love the style,liveries etc of this period as l m just old enough to remember two tone green 47s etc at Crewe where l lived in the 60s.

I have a small but growing collection of HDs in 4mm, and just a couple of DE suitable for the WR. Can't wait for the Dapol 22 and 41 to complete my collection, however l dream of Bachmann producing an 8 car WR version of the B.P!!! (Well l can dream!!)

Cheers

Bob.C

• 1 month later...

I'm fairly new to RM but am delighted to find this Group. As a lifelong fan of the hydraulics I still can't get enough of them! For those interested I have an article in the current TRACTION magazine (201) on Secondmaning Westerns under the title Western Experience. I have exhaustively researched the history of the Class 22's including their most prestigous workings and this article is also with the publishers. On the same note I am still trying to track down any Class 1 workings single handedly by a Class 22 on the main line, they tended to work in pairs but just maybe someone out there was rescued by a member of the class.

• 1 month later...

Archived