I seem to have a problem with US HO

squeaky

I seem to be buying more and more US HO stuff for my 8ft shunting plank than I have room for. I now have over 60 freight cars and 10 locos with sound, my question is:-

Is there a cure for this problem :lol:

Are there other sufferers out there..............................

Dear Squeaky,

1 - AFAIK There is no known cure :laugh: :yahoo: :help: :rofl:

2 - Focus to a given prototype that particularly appeals, even if only "for a little while" helps,

because it helps guide current purchasing decisions

(I recently discovered that I was effectively "kitting" up a series of future layouts,

collecting the required bits and pieces so that once I get the _current_ project done,

I can just "roll straight onto" whicever one hits "critical (enthusiasm) mess" at the key moment in time...)

3 - Personally I find that building micros to give each particular loco "a place to live" is one way to both justify the purchases,

and make it easier to let both the matching sets of equipment and layout/modelling go when "the next modelgenic _whatever_" grabs you by the lapels and won't let go...

Best of luck with your affliction...

We're all suffer... I mean Enjoying with the same issue here... :friends:

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

I seem to be buying more and more US HO stuff for my 8ft shunting plank than I have room for. I now have over 60 freight cars and 10 locos with sound, my question is:-

Is there a cure for this problem :lol:

Are there other sufferers out there..............................

There is no known cure, but luckily the disease isn't fatal until your wife finds out how much money you've been spending!

Of course, you could always switch to N scale, so you can fit more stuff on your 8ft plank... :rolleyes:

Guest jonte

Until my little switcher arrives from ebay USA, and has gone throught the paint shops, I have no suitable traction; in the meantine, may I lease one or two of yours ? (I'll make sure that any patched numbers will be non-permanent) ;)

Jonte

What a problem it is. I only intended to buy a switcher and a few freight cars 12 years ago just to have a small switching layout. Now I have about 150 freight cars, steam locos, logging shays, several switchers and several GPs. I have two layouts one an urban industrial/freight yard and the other is logging. I did manage to keep mainly to NP, GN and Burlington railroads with only a few locos from other railroads. To stop myself from buying and building anymore I started modelling in British 3mm 14.2mm gauge finescale so I have to make locos, track and stock instead of buying ready to run and Athearn kits Seems to be a cure!!!

Mike

The penny dropped for me when I mentioned a few years ago that I couldn't see myself seriously modelling anything but American. I've had a few "thoughts" since, but 4mm kits have been brought and sold and unfinished projects remain so. I've been having a few dark thoughts recently, and will have ot change the line to "Can't see myself modelling anything without OHLE...".

Of course, you could always switch to N scale, so you can fit more stuff on your 8ft plank... :rolleyes:

Nah... you turn to O Scale, and pay twice as much to fit half the stuff on your 8ft Shunty Plank... and yes, you can run US O Scale on an 8ft Shunty Plank...

IMG_0004.jpg

:yes: :D :P :drinks:

You guys have me thinking...first to the OP you'd be considered a 'piker' in the US, as even I have 10 locos & over 60 freight cars and I don't even have a working layout yet.

I love reading the Model Railroading forums (big on US model railroading, an analog to this board) and some guy causually mentions he has to do maintainence on his 120 locomotives over the weekend (yes, I have read of numbers that high, if not higher). Of course, this is a form of stealth bragging, as in "Can I afford the fuel for my '69 Corvette, my '70s Cuda, and my '66 Mustang" (example only - I own none of these).

But the second thing is...I honestly can't say there is anywhere near the equivalent of interest in UK (or even European in General - sorry Guys, you often get lumped in with Europe from the Western Atlantic viewpoint...then again, I guess we USians get lumped in with Canada a lot, which is OK with me). Marklin is somewhat popular I think, although whether more for collecting than for running I cannot say.

OTOH, I have in my hot little hands the March 2011 Rail Model Craftsman (actually a very good US magazine - Some Say better than Model Railroader, however I believe they compliment each other). In the Back is a several page write-up of the 2010 BR Convention - BR in this context meaning 'British Region' of the NMRA (a fairly well-known national, US & Canada, Modeling Organization). The second line of the Article:

"North American theme modeling is popular enough there [the UK] to make quite a stir in the hobby." - wow, now I see this is the 65th Anniversery Convention, so apparently your fathers and grandfathers (not being sexist here - what is it, 99% of all model railroaders are male?) had the same USian afflication back in the day. Perhaps some of you were mentioned in the article - it describe the :"Six Five Special" held at Kegworth, Debryshire from 22-24 October 2010. I won't reprint the whore article, I'd imagine it was discussed on this forum this past March.

Nah... you turn to O Scale, and pay twice as much to fit half the stuff on your 8ft Shunty Plank... and yes, you can run US O Scale on an 8ft Shunty Plank...

IMG_0004.jpg

Who said it needed to be 8'?

DaveP_Switching_01.jpg

;) :D

(Wish I could see Schiller's IRL...)

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

PS the brass GP35 loco on CF cost around AUD$300, the entire roster of 4 cars a bit under AUD$170,

(Not bragging, just tallying up for the purposes of comparison),

or about the same in overall $$$ outlay as the 2 - 3 locos + 10 - 16 cars that the same area would play host to if it were HO scale...

(but what price do you put on the visual and operational increase in sheer heft and "presence" of the O scale models?)

Who said it needed to be 8'?

Ha ha - Show Off!! (Sir!!) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Not sure what "Schiller's IRL" is..?? The layout thread (url?) for it is here...

I won't reprint the whore article, I'd imagine it was discussed on this forum this past March.

Whoa there!! Wrong Forum...!!! :blink: :lol: ;) :P

Ha ha - Show Off!! (Sir!!) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Not sure what "Schiller's IRL" is..?? The layout thread (url?) for it is here...

Dear Jordan,

"IRL" = "In Real Life'...

would aim for TVNAM(SP?) if there wasn't the risk that some work issues may crop up,

(some distributors down there need some "assistance", and would likely hijack me if they new I was in the neighbourhood...)

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Dear Jordan,

"IRL" = "In Real Life'...

Ah, right!! Another set of initials to remember! The meaning is so blindingly obvious, once someone's told you!! :rolleyes: <_< ;)

Sir Ray - yeah, Keyboard buttons should be a lot bigger, in my experience too... :blink: :( ;)

IMG_0004.jpg

Or, as I do, you really get out of control and do both N and O scale... :help: and to make matters worse, I have both British and American prototype in both scales, as well as On3...

Archived