NW 22nd St.

dave_long

Lance

, I had read your thoughts on your site and Model railroader about the team track situation and I thought that it would be a good idea with the track plan I had to use that space as a team track and it would be plausable so I left enough room with the turnout to allow the car to be spotted but the loco to still get passed it if needed. Especially as I believe that Latch Shoe corp isn't actually rail served. That is a recent industry to isn't it? If you use Bing maps in Birds eye that building is quite derelict looking and a mucky white colour.

Dave,

You are correct in that Latch is relatively new and not rail served. It's basically a retail store. Prior to that it was a food distributor. Like any place else, business come and go in Miami. Another hidden industry that is common on the spur would be car storage. It's a freebie in that you wouldn't have to add any structures. Reefers tend to get pushed to the end of the line where they sit for a few days and then are collected all at once. Also, boxcars used for food shipment are sometimes pushed to the end of the line and fumagated. If you aren't aware of it already, take a look at Google Streetview as it would be a very powerful tool for you. The Google street surveys in Miami are updated fairly frequently and the last one had the added treat for very crisp high resolution images.

Lance

Thanks again Lance

Most of my research has come from streetview, admittedly I have deveated further from reality than I would have liked but I've rushed to meet a show deadline. Good to know about the car storage I've got a few good spots for such things.

I've settled on Busch crossing signals for now until I can get a set of NJ lights with barriers and the motors to power them.

For those that aren't aware I'm using sergent couplings, which seem to be working ok at the moment they have their quirks but I like them.

Dave

Hey some actual modelling from me. On the small side this time. As the downtown Miami area is full of rubbish and abandoned items, I thought I'd add a few empty cardboard boxes. A technique found on another forum, not rocket science really just small.

A strip of thick brown paper, this was a piece of B'day wrapping paper, cut 10mm wide, length not important:

post-683-0-58174700-1306445909_thumb.jpg

Then two score lines added 2.5mm in from the edges running parallel to the strip, once this is done cut from the edge to the score line at 7.5, 12.5, 20, 25, 28mm. These make up the sides of your box plus the extra 3mm to form a tab to help glue the box together:

post-683-0-62287900-1306446349_thumb.jpg

Then use the cuts you've made up to the score line to help fold your box up, tuck the tab inside and glue.

post-683-0-92601700-1306446441_thumb.jpg

post-683-0-02900500-1306446461_thumb.jpg

Then fold the flaps on the bottom that were made with the little cuts to create the base, and then fold the flaps on the top of the box in any way you like, open closed etc

post-683-0-72905200-1306446575_thumb.jpg

post-683-0-35321200-1306446589_thumb.jpg

Lots of these to make as with any modelling practice makes perfect, this was an early effort and isn't as square as I would have liked but its so small that it looks fine to the normal eye, hopefully with a few more of these made up I'll get some photos of them in situ on the layout. Its nice to be down to adding little details.

Hope you liked the little tutorial

Dave

Guest jonte

Hey some actual modelling from me. On the small side this time. As the downtown Miami area is full of rubbish and abandoned items, I thought I'd add a few empty cardboard boxes. A technique found on another forum, not rocket science really just small.

A strip of thick brown paper, this was a piece of B'day wrapping paper, cut 10mm wide, length not important:

post-683-0-58174700-1306445909_thumb.jpg

Then two score lines added 2.5mm in from the edges running parallel to the strip, once this is done cut from the edge to the score line at 7.5, 12.5, 20, 25, 28mm. These make up the sides of your box plus the extra 3mm to form a tab to help glue the box together:

post-683-0-62287900-1306446349_thumb.jpg

Then use the cuts you've made up to the score line to help fold your box up, tuck the tab inside and glue.

post-683-0-92601700-1306446441_thumb.jpg

post-683-0-02900500-1306446461_thumb.jpg

Then fold the flaps on the bottom that were made with the little cuts to create the base, and then fold the flaps on the top of the box in any way you like, open closed etc

post-683-0-72905200-1306446575_thumb.jpg

post-683-0-35321200-1306446589_thumb.jpg

Lots of these to make as with any modelling practice makes perfect, this was an early effort and isn't as square as I would have liked but its so small that it looks fine to the normal eye, hopefully with a few more of these made up I'll get some photos of them in situ on the layout. Its nice to be down to adding little details.

Dave

This plagiarism bug is catching :lol:

I remember seeing this too somewhere, Dave. Is this the same individual who went onto to detail how makes pallets?

Was planning on purloining this for mine as well when the time comes (eventually).

Nice to see that you're still on target for that TVNAM deadline; don't now how you manage to find the time.

Bestest,

Jonte

Dave

That turned out nicely Dave. Attached is a photo taken from 12th Avenue facing east that shows how much trash there really is railside in Miami. It's a lot. The boxes are the most time consuming. For the white scraps I use that white tissue paper used in gift bags having found thicker white paper and newsprint is hard to get to lay down. You can also make your own scraps of steel strapping by cutting thin strips of electrical tape. The other fairly common, and disgusting, railside item is the very prevalent voodoo sacrifice. The thinking being that if you place a live chicken in a bag along with some fruit or money and the bird meets it's demise under the wheels of a GP38-2 that evil is warded off or good will come. The splattered remains are everywhere. Hopefully you Brits have all digested your breakfast before viewing the attachments. If not, my apologies.

Lance

post-12094-0-03689000-1306456948_thumb.jpg

post-12094-0-90016900-1306457322_thumb.jpg

...the very prevalent voodoo sacrifice. ... Hopefully you Brits have all digested your breakfast before viewing the attachments. If not, my apologies.

Don't worry, Lance, I imagine almost all of us here are also avid readers of your Blog, and will have read about it there a while back!! :D How to model it, is another matter of course!!

As a Truck Driver on nights* I see (and occasionally add to) plenty of roadkill here, too... they make a wet sort of "crunch" when you hit 'em... :rolleyes:

* which funnily enough means I'm often here on RMweb at the same time as the Stateside guys, rather than the Brits.... :drinks:

Thank-you Lance,

Interesting what people do for luck or ward off evil spirits. I work in air traffic control and we have a Irish airline that use daily a callsign xxx666 now for a God fearing nation I"m surprised anyone ever flies on it.

I've also been using the photo paper technique for some locally based signs plus the road signs. I've also made a small version of the mayoral sign boards. Lance I've only seen 'vote for Regalado' boards have you seen any others?

As I'm at work the photos are from my camera phone, but you get the idea, the battery sign is actually from the chainlink fence that surrounds the actual pallet store I've based my version on.

post-683-0-43024100-1306482356_thumb.jpg

post-683-0-20578300-1306482394_thumb.jpg

Dave

Chicken-in-a-bag (if you'll excuse the expression!)- small piece of scrunched up brown envelope with a tiny bit of kapok stuffing also known as "batting" ( think stuffed toy/body warmer - from your local dress-making materials/ charity shop) glued in the middle. Apples tiny red or green rocaille glass beads from craft shop

. Lance I've only seen 'vote for Regalado' boards have you seen any others?

Dave

No, I haven't seen others Dave. I think you need another tactic to track those down. Google Miami mayoral election, find out the candidates, go to their election sites and then download the graphics from the candidate sites. That would be faster, more fruitful, and get you better graphics.

Lance

Ok so the phone photos look really grainy, but the resolution of the images isn't too bad especially the election signs.

I've done a couple of model v reality photos, I hope you like them. Things are coming along quite well now I think. I'm getting to a point where I can show photos from further away from the layout that show you the whole picture, you can tell there are bits left to do. Especially the utility poles, they still need staining and fixing they are just located in their holes thats why some of them still lean. Also I've added a few photos with the boxes I've been building. Still lots of vehicles needed I've got 2 more on the way, but a couple more big orders of vehicles needed I think just to fully populate the street.

Anyway photos:

post-683-0-15314300-1306528904_thumb.jpg post-683-0-10631200-1306528970_thumb.jpg

post-683-0-96928000-1306529408_thumb.jpgpost-683-0-87752500-1306529438_thumb.jpg

Still awaiting an email from the owner of this photo to see if I can post it but here's the link Mayor election poster

post-683-0-48164300-1306529047_thumb.jpg

A few more shots for now

post-683-0-71971200-1306529624_thumb.jpgpost-683-0-05304500-1306529629_thumb.jpg

post-683-0-28270000-1306529734_thumb.jpgpost-683-0-42193400-1306529772_thumb.jpg

post-683-0-61980800-1306529798_thumb.jpg

Well I hope that you all can see improvements, I've added some warmer lights and had a read of my camera manual.

Dave

Looking good Dave. Its all coming together very well - looking forward to seeing this in a fortnight - perhaps we could swap layouts for an hour or 2.cool.gif

Jez

...looking forward to seeing this in a fortnight - perhaps we could swap layouts for an hour or 2.cool.gif

I think there'll be a lot of that going on....!! :laugh:

These latest pics really give a sense of space that the layout has - far more than the pics on Page 1, or the trackplan in the OP!

Getting that sense of space is what's so characteristic of much US railroading, and can be difficult to capture on our UK Shunty-Planks... :unsure:

Thanks guys,

It was hard to get anything like that before the front scenery had been nearly finished, not many layouts have so much scenery in front of the railway, especially UK layouts. My only issue which I can see is that this part of NW 22nd st is one way, and as I've only had space to model 1 lane of the street I'm just bracing myself for all the 'your cars and trucks are on the wrong side the road mate' but hopefully people may be able to work that out with everything pointing one way.

Rgds

Guest jonte

Thanks guys,

It was hard to get anything like that before the front scenery had been nearly finished, not many layouts have so much scenery in front of the railway, especially UK layouts. My only issue which I can see is that this part of NW 22nd st is one way, and as I've only had space to model 1 lane of the street I'm just bracing myself for all the 'your cars and trucks are on the wrong side the road mate' but hopefully people may be able to work that out with everything pointing one way.

Rgds

All looking good, Dave. Lance's methods for weathering the track are shown to good effect here. Everything nicely blended too. Is the mesh on your fence the Ratio product?

Best wishes,

Jonte.

Thanks Jonte,

Yes I'm pleased with the track it looks just what I was after, maybe a little more sun bleached. The fence is made from tulle glued to a brass frame. I got a roll of tulle (think wedding dress material) off eBay for a about a fiver, its then sprayed with tamiya aluminium.

Hi Dave,

The pics are great!

You've really managed to capture the look and feel of the area. The layout looks bigger than suggested by the track plan

and I particularly like the amount of depth in front of the tracks.

All those small details make all the difference to the character of the layout.

I must push on with more detailing on Palmetto and adding vehicles. I just love those refridgerator trucks.

regards,

Mal

Yes , Jack - that reminds me of Martin Sharpe's artwork for Cream's "Wheels of Fire" double lp.

I drove through Bayonne last weekend and saw a magnificant example painted on the side of a Canadian box car (at least I think it was) must have taken the guy hours....of course I never had a camera with me. He had created a 3d effect from the 2d side of the car. I hope to see it again.....

Best, Pete.

... this part of NW 22nd st is one way, and as I've only had space to model 1 lane of the street I'm just bracing myself for all the 'your cars and trucks are on the wrong side the road mate' but hopefully people may be able to work that out with everything pointing one way.

Would a few small "One Way" signs or road markings help, even if it's not entirely prototypical?

I must admit that when I built my first US-outline layout with a decent length of road, many years ago now, I really had to think hard about which side of the road I was placing my vehicles..!! :blink: :rolleyes:

Very nice Dave. Having stood on the exact corner I have to say you've really captured the feel of it. Great scene composition. I notice in one of the shots an open garage door and a nice sunny day outside. If you were able to wheel the layout outdoors and shoot it under the sun (sun to your back) I think you'd be thrilled with the resulting photograph.

Lance

Some of the colours down there are based certain fifties cars - but also used on Fender Guitars to this day. The green building in the photo looks a lot like "Sea Foam Green" other colours you come across are "Shell Pink", "Fiesta Red", "Surf Green" (lighter than Sea Foam Green) and "Sonic Blue" . They are also used a lot on the Jersey Shore (and probably many other places I haven't visited........).

You can find this paint in the UK at guitar refinishers, workshops or contact Fender UK

Best, Pete..

Thanks for the encouragement Lance,

Shame its a bank holiday over here (National holiday) so of course the weather has turned for the worse, its a British tradition rain on a public holiday! I probably won't get too much done this week as my Son has his 1st birthday on Friday. Hopefully next week the weather will improve and thats the plan to get it outside.

Jordon, I do have a few one way signs but they were originally designed to be hidden or atleast have their backs to the viewer, but I think I might add a 'Wrong way' sign at the junction.

Archived