NW 22nd St.

dave_long

Guest jonte

Thanks Jonte,

Yes I'm pleased with the track it looks just what I was after, maybe a little more sun bleached. The fence is made from tulle glued to a brass frame. I got a roll of tulle (think wedding dress material) off eBay for a about a fiver, its then sprayed with tamiya aluminium.

Many thanks, Dave.

Jonte

I think that looks alot like what Volkswagen call "Mint Green", as used on Polos about 10-15 years ago. Finding a spraycan might be a bit of a problem tho...

It's not really - and Sea Foam Green has been in production continuously since 1957, I think. The guitar i'm holding was shot with nitro-cellulose lacquers (for sonic reasons) but Fender also do it in acrylic.

Best, Pete.

It's not really - and Sea Foam Green has been in production continuously since 1957, I think. The guitar i'm holding was shot with nitro-cellulose lacquers (for sonic reasons) but Fender also do it in acrylic.

Best, Pete.

A common problem for us brits modelling the dark side (apart from the different spellings and funny words such as homasote and drywall mud), is the local availability of many products, so we tend to use what we know or is readily to hand. When I wrote an article for Model Railroader I had to list everything used, and it must have been the first time Alan Gibson 4mm handrail knobs and Railmatch BR post '84 warning yellow recieved a mention.

Here's my "Sea Foam Green" Fender Strat:post-9016-0-66496700-1306772342_thumb.jpg

It looks like you've sneezed....

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

When I wrote an article for Model Railroader I had to list everything used, ...

I love those pictures where they say something like "This XYZ model diesel has 137 detail parts added"... :blink: I've never counted how many parts I've added to a model, and I care even less, I'm afraid... :rolleyes:

I did see a picture of an LNER Kettle in MR, once, so they do know railways exist elsewhere in the World... ;)

Chicken-in-a-bag (if you'll excuse the expression!)- small piece of scrunched up brown envelope with a tiny bit of kapok stuffing also known as "batting" ( think stuffed toy/body warmer - from your local dress-making materials/ charity shop) glued in the middle. Apples tiny red or green rocaille glass beads from craft shop

Jack, you really must get out more! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd just add a few photos from the TVNAM show, now I'm past the post exhibition apathy, its about time to get back to some modelling. I had a very enjoyable day and the layout recieved some very good comments and a possible invitation later in the year.

A cropped shot of the layout exhibition view:

post-683-0-30125100-1308396451_thumb.jpg

Looking down the track:

post-683-0-23704400-1308396568_thumb.jpg

full shot of the layout at TVNAM inc sector plate fiddleyard:

post-683-0-61216600-1308396588_thumb.jpg

Trucks and trucks:

post-683-0-32078600-1308396629_thumb.jpg

MP15AC at crossing plus trackside items, the squashed paper is meant to be squashed boxes.

post-683-0-24212900-1308396644_thumb.jpg

view across the pallet store and along the line:

post-683-0-86444400-1308396659_thumb.jpg

View of domingo produce recreating this view of the real location Domingo produce Miami :

post-683-0-44678800-1308396725_thumb.jpg

Another view along the track:

post-683-0-85353400-1308396765_thumb.jpg

GP38-2 alongside Domingo prod:

post-683-0-02292700-1308396788_thumb.jpg

MP15ac again over the crossing backing up into the teamtrack:

post-683-0-85128100-1308396825_thumb.jpg

On the modelling front attention now turns to adding a palm tree, a fullsize one actually resides between the two buildings along the backscene as you can make out on Lance's websites homepage. Plus a lot more roof vents and other details need adding, I'm thinking about adding wires to the utility poles but as I uncouple from above I'm not sure yet on that front. I also need to fit the loksound chip into that P2K GP38-2 but there sure is very little room under the hood, I bought one of those US style long hood speakers from DCC supplies but that takes up far too much room even with removing a third of the cast metal inside.

Hope you enjoy these and more updates will follow, just as long as Nick doesn't send me anymore links to NS 0 gauge locos on ebay! :rolleyes:

Rgds

Dave

Great pictures of your excellent layout Dave. Can appreciate them having seen the layout 'in the flesh'.

Note Hoxie harbor features in the background of one picture!

Best regards

DaveB

I really like image No.5 Dave.

Steve

Thanks guys. That image shows the sergent scale couplers off quite well too. Which as it happened worked very well on the day which was a relief. They need a little paint buy I wanted to wait until after the show just incase they get gummed up.

Dave

Hi,

Great pics Dave.

I love all the small details which adds to the character of the layout and gives it a real authentic Downtown Spur, Miami look.

The sergent couplers look good and those refridgerator trucks are superb.

:locomotive:

regards,

Mal

Thanks guys. That image shows the sergent scale couplers off quite well too....

I must admit I'd forgotten you are using Sergent couplers, and, being a bit busy myself, didn't see them in action at TVNAM. The couplers certainly stood out in the photos - of the locos especially. :yes:

Guest jonte

Hi Dave

Glad you enjoyed your first outing with 'NW 22nd St.' and pleased to hear that it was well received.

Just while I'm posting, may I ask what method you've used to switch the points and what system of overhead lighting have you employed?

Best wishes and well done.

Jonte.

Hi Jonte,

Thanks, the turnout throws are Bullfrog manual throws. They're a laser cut wooden kit that utilises RC style nylon rods and tube, they hold the point blades firmly to the stock rail too by clever use of a ball bearing, there are photos of them on my bigblue thread.

Lighting is actually 4 T4 tube lights the 2 at the front have cold tubes and the 2 at the back are warmer, I was going to just use 2 cold tubes at the front but wanted that warmer Floridian look so needed warmer bulbs, you can get much warmer bulbs but these were what screwfix sell. They are all 16W, the thing with the W's is the size the smaller the Ws the smaller the tube and vice versa.

hth

Dave

Hi Dave,

Just been looking at your pics again and very impressed with the structures.

I was wondering what method and materials you use for the buildings?

I'm hoping to have have a go at scratch building structures for any future projects.

regards,

Malcolm

Hi Mal,

Thanks for the compliments. They are really very simple, I used 1.5mm styrene sheet for the walls and roofs suitable braced inside. I bought large sheets from This company a good price too. 2 sheets did 85% of all the layout including the roads. A lot of my techniques can be traced back to Kurts Miami layout thread on big blue NW58st layout I do plan on trying his hydrocal style buildings too which look stunning. I go through that thread a lot you'll notice a similarity in there with a lot of my techniques.

I use google maps rulers to help with building sizes, and I do estimate a lot of sizes too as long as it looks right and fits in its surroundings then thats good enough for me!

Rgds

I thought I'd just add a few photos from the TVNAM show, now I'm past the post exhibition apathy, its about time to get back to some modelling. I had a very enjoyable day and the layout recieved some very good comments and a possible invitation later in the year.

On the modelling front attention now turns to adding a palm tree, a fullsize one actually resides between the two buildings along the backscene as you can make out on Lance's websites homepage. Plus a lot more roof vents and other details need adding, I'm thinking about adding wires to the utility poles but as I uncouple from above I'm not sure yet on that front. I also need to fit the loksound chip into that P2K GP38-2 but there sure is very little room under the hood, I bought one of those US style long hood speakers from DCC supplies but that takes up far too much room even with removing a third of the cast metal inside.

Hope you enjoy these and more updates will follow, just as long as Nick doesn't send me anymore links to NS 0 gauge locos on ebay! :rolleyes:

Dave

Nice job pulling all of this together for the show Dave. It looks great.

Lance

Guest jonte

Hi Jonte,

Thanks, the turnout throws are Bullfrog manual throws. They're a laser cut wooden kit that utilises RC style nylon rods and tube, they hold the point blades firmly to the stock rail too by clever use of a ball bearing, there are photos of them on my bigblue thread.

Lighting is actually 4 T4 tube lights the 2 at the front have cold tubes and the 2 at the back are warmer, I was going to just use 2 cold tubes at the front but wanted that warmer Floridian look so needed warmer bulbs, you can get much warmer bulbs but these were what screwfix sell. They are all 16W, the thing with the W's is the size the smaller the Ws the smaller the tube and vice versa.

hth

Dave

Thanks, Dave

Jonte

Hi Mal,

Thanks for the compliments. They are really very simple, I used 1.5mm styrene sheet for the walls and roofs suitable braced inside. I bought large sheets from This company a good price too. 2 sheets did 85% of all the layout including the roads. A lot of my techniques can be traced back to Kurts Miami layout thread on big blue NW58st layout I do plan on trying his hydrocal style buildings too which look stunning. I go through that thread a lot you'll notice a similarity in there with a lot of my techniques.

I use google maps rulers to help with building sizes, and I do estimate a lot of sizes too as long as it looks right and fits in its surroundings then thats good enough for me!

Rgds

Thanks Dave, very inspirational.

I was just looking at Kurt's NW58st yesterday, also very inspirational.

thanks again,

Mal

• 1 month later...

Do the same weathering to the road and parking lot surfaces that you have done to the right of way. The Jersey barriers need dings and wheel marks on them. You need a bunch of manhole covers in the streets and sidewalks and sewer drains in the curb.

The tracks are good, just need some more paper and debris lying about, old pallets, chunks of wood, some cardboard boxes and assorted detris. Here's a challenge, have a McDonalds fast food bag on the ground in a place where people can identify the logo.

Thanks Dave

Yes there's still plenty to do, but its back in garage now so photos of the things I've managed to get done are pretty poor. The roads do need looking at again. I've got a batch of drain covers to go in actually might do those later today. More Pallets are on the way, for both the store and for rubbish.

I'll give the Maccy D's idea a thought, but the nearest restaruant is quite away from 22nd st.

• 10 months later...

Archived