Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

What would you recreate?

• RMweb Premium

I was watching 'Heroes of Telemark' the other day and wondered if it would be possible to re-create the train carry the heavy water? There were two locos one looked a bit like a sentinal the other a continental type tank that would be available from the likes of Roco/Fleischman etc.That started me thinking about other movie trains that could be re-created, Some of the foreign trains would be intersting like the train in the film 'The Train' or 'Von Ryans Express' but what about closer to home. Obvious choices start at 'The Titfield Thunderbolt, 'Railway Children' (Both versions) and 'Brief Encounter' but what about some of the less well known films that feature trains that could be re-created in British Outline, old or new. What would you re-create from the movies?

The great St Trinians' train robbery would be one that I guess you could create using RTR stock. My hazy memory of this film recalls an Austerity tank filmed somewhere on the Longmoor Military Railway. It would certainly make for something different on a model as this train comes charging through. Maybe a Bachmann Gandy Dancer could follow with figures suitably painted?

The CIE 001 / "A" class diesel and Cravens stock that was used for the scene in which Jean Tournier, a prisoner on transfer, escapes by exiting through a toilet ventilator and climbing into a helicopter piloted by the insane ex-Chief Inspector Dreyfus.....

• RMweb Premium

The area around the little old ladies house in the original version of 'The Ladykillers' although I think someone has already done it!!

Could use the Faller road system to recreate the scene from the Titfield Thunderbolt where the loco heads down the high street!

You could not do The Cassandra Crossing in model form, there is no way even with DCC you can add and take away coaches, turn them around, change the formation and swap locos all without the train stopping, there are so many errors in that film it is more a comedy.

Always fancied doing a couple of GP7's in the Grand Continental livery from Under Siege 2 though, that is doable..

Guest Max Stafford

It should be quite easy to reproduce Carter's train which he takes up to Newcastle in the 1971 movie. I imagine it's a GFYE 47.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

How about the trains in "The Great Escape" - a BR78 4-6-4T on a train of 4wh "Thunderbox" coaches (with the DB "lozenge" altered to read "DR") carries several of the escapees on the first leg of their journey, then later on Sedgwick (James Coburn) hitches a ride on a class 86 2-8-2T hauled freight on his way to Spain ("bl**dy good".....).

• RMweb Premium

I may be wrong but did the Wainright C3 0-6-0 appear in the Railway Children and a Christmas Special a few years ago called 'Station Jim' which was a very entertaining movie. Of course the Rolling stock would have to be available.

it would have to be the final scene of The Bridge on the River Kwai!

I have been to the river Kwai bridge by rail, walked over it (as everybody does !!), The area is NOTHING like the film though.

post-6884-0-79853700-1306317632_thumb.jpg

post-6884-0-78338100-1306317587_thumb.jpg

By the way, once a year I beleive they run (or did) a steam special over it.

Brit15

I have vague memories of a 1950's black and white film which i think was called Holiday Camp and filmed at Butlins Filey. I think the railway scenes were taken on the Scarborough to Whitby line, possibly at Ravenscar and featured an A8 tank.

It should be quite easy to reproduce Carter's train which he takes up to Newcastle in the 1971 movie. I imagine it's a GFYE 47.

Dave.

Including the footage of it going south past the BOCM factory at Selby?

Dave.

Having watched the film again recently, it looks like the in cab camera is positioned fairly high up so there's a fair chance it was filmed aboard a Deltic. Mind you, the unused footage which was shot at Kings Cross shows a blue 47 (1509 I think) departing and disappearing into Gasworks Tunnel.... this is in one of the "Diesels & Electrics On 35mm" dvds. It was shot between March and October 1970 according to Mike Hodges, the film's director. When filming was finished, Michael Caine went straight into working on 'Zee & Co' with Liz Taylor, during which he filmed a short inrorduction piece for 'Get Carter' to be shown in cinemas when it went on general release in 1971 ;)

My vote for one of the best cinematic opening sequences goes to "Get Carter". It's just a shame it seems to take him all day to travel the distance that a pre-war, A4-hauled express train would have done in around four hours!

Now Jack Warner stars as a top link driver in a 1948 Ealing Studios film called "Train of Events", where his WCML express is involved in a disaster. I had the film as a Christmas present, but haven't managed to watch it yet, as just lately I'm always on RMweb! The express leaves Euston, and from memory of watching the film as a kid, I'm fairly sure it will be a "Princess Royal" or a "Royal Scot" that finishes up on its side sizzling in the ballast. The crash takes place in the dark, so no doubt there's some liberties in the continuity.

Another film with some good railway sequences included starred the comedian, Arthur Askey as a steam-driver. In one sequence, he stopped his goods train next to a football ground so he could watch the match and soon there was trouble. I've no idea what the film was called, but I think it was set somewhere in the north-west of England. Apparently, you could do this trick at Birmingham City's ground too, where the Midland line runs behind one of the goals. This situation could quite easily make a different cameo scene for a steam-to-diesel transition era layout.

For U.S. diesel enthusiasts, the opening and closing scenes of "Bad Day at Black Rock" - Spencer Tracy, 1955, feature one of the famous "streamliners" making an unusual stop somewhere way out in the western desert . Another scene which might just make quite an unusual model.

And what about "Lawrence of Arabia" for a bust up in a desert, or that film with Kenneth More in India. Now what was that called ?

Great idea for a topic thread by the way. Thanks for making us recall all these film memories.

All the best, John.

Archived