Merrivale Road

Miles Benton

Hi all

This topic is to show the making of my first exhibition layout "Merrivale Road" , the layout is 16ft long x 1ft wide and it is based in the late 1950's to Mid 1960's roughly based Somewhere on the Western Region.

The layout Comprises of a Medium Sized Terminus station, Engine Shed and Colliery exchange Sidings.

Rolling Stock is Mainly Western Region Steam with a few diesels and DMU's

Current Progress is show below as currently the boards have been completed and track started to be laid.

post-7772-1258835020465_thumb.jpg

post-7772-1258835082003_thumb.jpg

post-7772-12588351005837_thumb.jpg

post-7772-12588351188371_thumb.jpg

Any Comments Welcome.

Thanks

Miles Benton

Further to the above post , yesterday i managed to pin all the track down on the main three boards with the help of my trusty helper Mark ( Of Millbenton Lane fame)

and Mark built a Ratio Water Crane and has started on a GW Bracket signal.

Photos to follow.

Miles

Hi all

This topic is to show the making of my first exhibition layout "Merrivale Road" , the layout is 16ft long x 1ft wide and it is based in the late 1950's to Mid 1960's roughly based Somewhere on the Western Region.

The layout Comprises of a Medium Sized Terminus station, Engine Shed and Colliery exchange Sidings.

<snip>

Any Comments Welcome.

Well Miles, I'll be following this regardless. I grew up on Merrivale Road, 1967 to 1986, until I moved away to university at Leeds. Type "B62 9RL" into any of the online mapping sites and you'll find it :-)

Good luck, and much success with your modelling. There may even have been one or two collieries still operating in the Black Country at the time period that you are setting this. How about a junction from the ex-GWR line at Rowley Regis for Cakemore Colliery (yes, there was one existing in 1880) and Merrivale Road?

Cheers

Flymo

Thanks flymo,

all is going really well at the moment thxs

I did it as merrivale road because my friends close family live on there at the moment and i think it is a very fitting station name lol

Thanks for the ideas on where abouts to base it ive been thinking bout tht for a while. i shall be putting more photos on tonight so i hope u like!

Thanks

Miles

i shall be putting more photos on tonight

Hi all

As i am Helping Miles out with this layout, i will post some of the detailling items i have been getting on with in the last few days

First of all is this Ratio Water Crane and Brazier ( Which isnt photographed as its not painted yet) when finished this water crane will be situated on the main platform at Merrivale Road station and to the right of the photo is the Ratio GWR Signal i have built for the Station approach the left signal will control the Run Round Loop which also serves as a freight loop and the right hand Arm is for the main station Platform.

post-4637-12590163016245_thumb.jpg

The Signal Shown in the position where it is likely to be put.

post-4637-12590164154586_thumb.jpg

Last but not least is this Bachmann Class 108 DMU in BR green With speed whiskers which i picked up at Warley for a Decent price on the Bachmann stand, it will receive a Craftsman DMU detailling kit in the next few days and then will have passengers fitted and then possibly the destinations changed

(Incindently does anyone have a copy of an early Model Rail which had some DMU destinations in what i think was a Class 121 Masterclass, if anyone could spare me the destinations or a Colour Photocopy id be greatful PM me if you can help.)

post-4637-12590167020245_thumb.jpg

Well thats all for tonight and i'd like to let all you RMWebbers know this Layout will be appearing at Churchrail 2010 in Warwick on the 6th March and Solihull MRE on the 6th November 2010.

Thanks

Mark

Hi All

Only a small update as much hasnt been done with both of us working overdrive at the moment.

Trev just for you heres the wagons with a few other ones in a goods train headed by a equally dirty 56XX

post-4637-12595195888106_thumb.jpg

post-4637-12595196712866_thumb.jpg

And below is detailling work being carried out on the platforms , Nameboards,seats and flower tubs made out of beer barrels!

post-4637-12595197057218_thumb.jpg

post-4637-12595197195525_thumb.jpg

Hopefully the plan is this week to complete the wire in tube for the points work permitting.

Mark

• 2 months later...

Well after a long period of no work being carried out on the layout ,we have progress!

All boards are Structly complete and all needed to finish track wise is the fiddle yard board.

A Large Preportion of the ballasting has been carried out and ive got a few more bits to finish.

Hopefully it will be in some kind of exhibitable state for Churchrail on th 6th March.

Mark

Archived