Avon Junction

ColinW

Having been at the Uckfield show today, with a couple of the other owners, we had a chat about what our work should be for the layout over the next couple of months. As mentioned earlier, we are going to put floodlights on the layout, we have this equipment already and should be able to do this over the next week or so and should be with us at Brighton in November. There is also a possibility that we will have fitted 4/5 uncouplers around the goods yard area, which will allow us to shunt in the goods yard and also keep things moving whilst some trains have a very quick turn round in the fiddleyards. After Brighton, the new bolt on fiddleyard ends will be made. Also we have started looking at the stock we run, and how we can detail them, especially some of the older stock, more of this later.

Colin

Well, managed to getting the lighting sorted out over the weekend, just some B&Q wall spotlights fixed to a cross piece that is attached to a piece of 2"x1" planed timber about 3' long. This is then bolted to the legs. We have 6 such lights currently and these are to cover the main operating area, but a couple more may be added later. I have also started on the additional uncouplers and these will be fitted by the cattle dock, goods shed, bay platform, timber yard building & another one on the main platform for shunting purposes, this means that all the goods yard area sidings will have at least one uncoupler (goods shed & cattle dock siding to have two). We will be using point motors on these to begin with, as we have them available to us now.

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

The first uncoupler has been made and fitted alongside the cattle dock. A Seep point motor is being used to operate the uncoupler, the central wire from brass plate is soldered to the latching pin, have also strengthened the wire with solder to prevent slackness from the movement. It was then electrically tested before finishing the wiring under the board. All that I have to do with this one will be to wire it into the control panel, probably next week when I have done the other 4 uncouplers.

Colin

Here are a couple of photos of the first of the uncouplers being fitted into the layout. Again apologies about the standard of the pics, only have my mobile available to take the pics with.

post-5107-0-27917100-1320504616.jpg

Uncoupling plate in position on track, next to cattle dock.

post-5107-0-58558400-1320504650.jpg

The point motor that activates the uncoupler being fited in position. The block also acts as a limiter on how high the point motor will raise the uncoupler.

post-5107-0-12034400-1320504659.jpg

The uncoupler being electrically tested before being wired up to the layout.

Will hopefully have the other 4 made and fitted before we go to Brighton next week.

Colin

Edited by ColinW

Hi Colin,

If I remember correctly; wasn't Dennis Pigeons ex layout controlled by 3 people - 1 in the middle and 2 either end? I did help Dennis out at Tonbridge Model Railway Exhibition; many moons ago!

Best Wishes

Andy

Hi Colin,

If I remember correctly; wasn't Dennis Pigeons ex layout controlled by 3 people - 1 in the middle and 2 either end? I did help Dennis out at Tonbridge Model Railway Exhibition; many moons ago!

Best Wishes

Andy

Hi Andy,

Yes it was Denis's layout, a group of Tonbridge MRC member's bought from him a couple of years ago to save it from being broken up. How long ago were you in Tonbridge MRC, I am now the secretary of the club and have been in the club for 13 years, so possibly (probably) remember you.

Colin

Hi Andy,

Yes it was Denis's layout, a group of Tonbridge MRC member's bought from him a couple of years ago to save it from being broken up. How long ago were you in Tonbridge MRC, I am now the secretary of the club and have been in the club for 13 years, so possibly (probably) remember you.

Colin

Hi Colin,

I was a member when Fred was alive and so that must have been around 16 years ago or there abouts. (Young Dave should remember me if he still a member with the club)

Good to see some of the original features of the layout have been kept. I did hear that some of the TMRC members had bought it between them. A shame as I was too late by the time I had shown my interest in it.

I am hoping to go to the Exhibition at the Angel Centre in Tonbridge in February. If I do; I will pop over and introduce myself.

All the best

Andy

Hi Colin,

I was a member when Fred was alive and so that must have been around 16 years ago or there abouts. (Young Dave should remember me if he still a member with the club)

Good to see some of the original features of the layout have been kept. I did hear that some of the TMRC members had bought it between them. A shame as I was too late by the time I had shown my interest in it.

I am hoping to go to the Exhibition at the Angel Centre in Tonbridge in February. If I do; I will pop over and introduce myself.

All the best

Andy

Hi Andy,

Dave is now living in Norfolk, but he is a lifetime meber of the club now. We felt that the layout was best to be left as it was scenically, the work we have done iin the last month or so, was what we felt neccesary as it was going to exhibitions on a regular occurance. Will look forward to meeting you at Tonbridge in February, keep an eye on the thread about the show. top see what is there.

Colin

We had a good weekend at Brighton, and Avon Junction ran reasonably well with a couple of minor hitches, we lost all power to fire the point motors on the three way point in the original fiddleyard (not the one that has had the new system fitted to it, that ran well) and then on Sunday afternoon had to give a rather impropmtu soldering demonstration, as the pointblade on the doubleslip that controlled the entrance to the goods yard came away. When going to solder back in position, found out the copperclad on tie bar had been completely burnt away so had to fix a small piece of brass to tie bar and then solder that to the blade, now working better than ever. We had a lot of interest from the public regarding the scenery and lighting on the layout. The layout is now put away until after Christmas, its next outing is to Tenterden in March.

Colin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We shall be carrying out some more work on the layout in a couple of weeks time, as this will be our last opportunity of doing it before it goes to Tenterden in March, we will be busy after that weekend with the Tonbridge show. The work will include having another track selection mechanism fitted in the other fiddleyard with a threeway point, the bolt on pieces we use on the two 3 track fiddleyards are being extended from 6" to 1' each end, this will allow for more clearance on the points but also to possibly add to the trains we already run on the layout. Some small scenic repairs will also be looked at.

The layout has attended 4 exhibitions in the last 14 months, and we hope that people have liked what is on display, despite it not working to its best at times. As said we are Tenterden in March and we have had several enquiries for shows in the future which we hope come to fruition.

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

On Sunday, we carried out some work on the layout, getting it ready to go to Tenterden in March. This included fitting new Fulgrex point motors and the track selection mechanism on the older fiddleyard with 3 way point, checking the bolt on extensions and re aligning the track on them, the fiddleyards at each end are now 1' longer, the hidden fiddleyard remains the same length, and carrying out minor repairs to the scenery.

Colin

• 1 month later...

OK, now we have the Tonbridge exhibition out of the way, this weekend will be mainly doing maintenance on the rolling stock, for the layout, as it will be at Tenterden the following weekend. As there are 5 part owners of the layout, and has been seen in the pictures and film, we have a variety of stock that we can use. A lot of it is the older form of the specific item, we have a Lima Railcar (although we now have a Hornby parcels railcar), Mainline Pannier, Airfix14xx. We have had to buy most of these second hand as only one of our group is actually a GWR enthusiast, and he didn't have enough stock for it all.

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

A quick reminder that we will be playing with Avon Junction at the Homewood exhibition in Tenterden this weekend (hopefully my back will hold out :unsure: ), anyone going please say hello.

Colin

A quick reminder that we will be playing with Avon Junction at the Homewood exhibition in Tenterden this weekend (hopefully my back will hold out :unsure: ), anyone going please say hello.

Colin

Hello :mosking:

Not sure how I missed this one - always good to see more chocolate and cream :)

I'm with you on that one Jules

Colin, good thread, keep going with the updates, it's nice to follow a story.

Jeff

• Like 1

Colin,

Can't you control your team?

Bill

His problem will be at next years exhibition Bill, as he can now be put on kitchen duties, but he did serve a purpose yesterday, thanks Graham. B)

Colin

To say we had a mixed weekend is an understatement. We had a major points failure on the points leading to the branch, the latching pin on the Seep point motor sheared off :O , but luckily the club's signalling engineer managed to repair it, and it worked well for the rest of the weekend, unfortunately towards the end of yesterday we started having problems with the control panel, we use stud and probe to operate the points, signals & uncouplers and there was several non fires when studs were touched. They are beginning to look a bit corroded and will probably be replaced in the very near future. It has to be remembered that these items have probably been on the layout since it was initially built, about 15-20 years ago. On the stock front, we had two new loco's working on the layout, an 8f, marked up as one that had been built at Swindon, this was working the through goods on Saturday and the GWR passenger service on the Sunday, and the new Bachmann Collett Goods with ROD tender was working the B set yesterday.

Colin

I'm with you on that one Jules Colin, good thread, keep going with the updates, it's nice to follow a story. Jeff

Thank you Jeff.

Colin

His problem will be at next years exhibition Bill, as he can now be put on kitchen duties, but he did serve a purpose yesterday, thanks Graham. B)

Colin

I'll eat the profits.................................................................