A 2mm loco service point

StuartM

I love the picture with the train passing on the lower lines......which one?, there were three photos with a passing train on the lower line

That said, I can't help wondering if it could do with a few weeds or some litter in the foreground, but maybe that's more of a post-privatisation thing?

Will

Thanks Will,

My memory's of travelling in and out of London in the mid 70's is that everything was covered in grime, especially the infrastructure approaching the main stations and this model is supposed to be just outside of either a large through station or a London terminus and I don't recall ever seeing weeds growing along the lines into and out of Victoria &Waterloo or Paddington & Kings cross as the conditions were far too hostile for even weeds to survive which is why I've left all the green stuff in the packet, I think the weeds came later, that's may take on it anyway

A great looking layout. I wonder if you would be able to take more pictures with a larger depth of field. Whilst the current photos are very artistic they highlight the fact it is a model due to the very shallow depth of field which you would not see if the picture were of a 12":1ft location. You will of course need to ensure the layout is well lit but some stopped down pictures from track level will really show this layout off as a stunning example of finescale. Also, it would be extremely enlightening to see a picture of the layout with some 4mm rolling stock next to it to really show just how small this is!

Thanks,

Hugh

Thanks Hugh,

The photos are all taken with a 70-210mm lens and your right the depth of field is set to around f8, however because the distances are so small even using f22 I get the same results, I think it's a case of once you start photographing something 6cm long, depth of field no longer seems to apply.

As requested the photo below shows a 00gauge class 45 next to an ngauge class 46,

People who work in the larger scales have no excuse for lack of detail (imho)

Rgds,

Stuart

post-10866-0-31444700-1315923723_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

As requested the photo below shows a 00gauge class 45 next to an ngauge class 46,

Looks like you have been watering that 46 every day with fertilizer :laugh:

I'm really enjoying this saturation of BR Blue photos...please don't stop...it really comes alive with the rolling stock.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Hugh,

The photos are all taken with a 70-210mm lens and your right the depth of field is set to around f8, however because the distances are so small even using f22 I get the same results, I think it's a case of once you start photographing something 6cm long, depth of field no longer seems to apply.

People who work in the larger scales have no excuse for lack of detail (imho)

Rgds,

Stuart

Now, if you've had made the front tracks OO gauge.....

I'm really enjoying this saturation of BR Blue photos...please don't stop...it really comes alive with the rolling stock.

As you asked nicely,

I could do this all day long, you just can't beat corporate blue

post-10866-0-91359700-1315927167_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-56970500-1315927190_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-66676600-1315927215_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-97627000-1315927236_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

lovely stuff!

another quick suggestion if I may?

Close coupling the rolling stock would really set this off - If you don't want to cut the rapidos off, a 'quick and dirty' trick I use is to spin the bogies 180 degrees for the photos...you get a better effect and its undone in seconds afterwards...

lovely stuff!

another quick suggestion if I may?

Close coupling the rolling stock would really set this off - If you don't want to cut the rapidos off, a 'quick and dirty' trick I use is to spin the bogies 180 degrees for the photos...you get a better effect and its undone in seconds afterwards...

Good idea,

I've already removed the rapido's from the locos but didn't think about the stock

Cheers,

Stuart

Flippin' brilliant !

Thanks Stu,

Some more of the same but this time with close coupled carriages,

There is a definite WR flavour to these photos but that's because these particular locos just seem to photograph better than the other others, still perhaps if Graham Farish ever up date their class's 20,25,31,50,52 then I might try again,

post-10866-0-22120000-1315999838_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-88217000-1315999854_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-88410400-1315999875_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-14216500-1315999900_thumb.jpg

Some more photos of the halcyon corporate blue era, some are more eastern region, some are more western region.

If nothing else these photos show up how the dated Class 31 and Western (both of which I've resprayed) are compared to the more modern class 37,42,46 & 47

I also need to add some additional weathering to my class 24 and 37 some time.

That's it ! I now have enough photos for my official entry.

Thanks for all the comments and advice, until next time

Rgds,

Stuart

post-10866-0-48742200-1316087754_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-24444000-1316087774_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-34193700-1316087798_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-64326100-1316087818_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-36395600-1316087829_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-12919300-1316087857_thumb.jpg

Excellent modelling i've been enjoying this come together from the start. Please excuse me if it has already been posted i couldn't see it in any posts, could i ask what ballast you have used it looks great. I've just started out in N gauge & it's a total new ball game for me so i have lot's of questions. Again though excellent modelling & a well executed model in such a small space.

Simon

Excellent modelling i've been enjoying this come together from the start. Please excuse me if it has already been posted i couldn't see it in any posts, could i ask what ballast you have used it looks great. I've just started out in N gauge & it's a total new ball game for me so i have lot's of questions. Again though excellent modelling & a well executed model in such a small space.

Simon

#93 page 4

The ballast was a home made mixture of.....

50% ready mix concrete put through a fine sieve and 50% very fine dry white sand, ( I live on an island so no problem there for me but I believe aquarium sand does the same thing) I mixed the two together and then used 50/50 pva/water to glue the mixture down and then when dry I sprayed it with a mixture of matt black, frame dirt and sleeper grime.

I hope that helps and good luck with the ngauge model, I hope to see it in the journal one day

Rgds,

StuartM

• 3 months later...

Hi, just spent the last half hour looking over this great thread, truely fanastic!

Perhaps a little signange might help? No naked flames etc arond the fule tank? a Signal post plate, e.g. TT231, for Trent, or DY for Derby etc........ or make on up "FS2" might work!

Hi, just spent the last half hour looking over this great thread, truely fanastic!

Perhaps a little signange might help? No naked flames etc arond the fule tank? a Signal post plate, e.g. TT231, for Trent, or DY for Derby etc........ or make on up "FS2" might work!

I agree, perhaps next time

• 1 month later...

Ok, I'm a bit late to the show here,,, but so superb! Inspirational. I'm planning something in 4mm... and this is giving me some further thoughts on how to incorporate my plans. Wonderful trackwork by the way... superb crossing/turnouts!!! I suppose it helps that you haev some access to materials that help control this.

Ought to thank Jon (Sandhills) er, Pete M for pointing me here too! Sorry Pete, I think I was getting my PMs mixed up

Jon

• 2 years later...

Archived