Signal box windows - Dorset Central

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

I am hoping you can help. As some of you may know over the last few years I have been working on architectural drawings of primarily the southern end of the S&D to add to the Trust Web site. In that time I have done most of the structures at Blandford, the signal box and waiting shelter at Wincanton, most of the buildings at Shillingstone, the main building at Sturminster, the main building at Bailey Gate and gradually emerging is the main building at Stalbridge.

Now I am trying to put a drawing of the box at Bailey Gate together. It appears to have LSWR type 2 windows, and those windows look to be the same size as those at Shillingstone. I know Shillingstone box was 13'6" x 11'6" from information kindly given by the Shillingstone station group.

Does anyone either know the size of the type 2 frames - or has a drawing that would help with that -- or do you think the size of the windows at those two boxes is definatley the same size.

Once finished I will post the drawing on here as well as the Trust Web site.

Thanks for your help in advance

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all,

With thanks to Chris Osment, he pointed me in the direction of an Illustrated history of Southern Signals by Pryer, which had a drawing showing a type 2 box.

As a result the drawing of Bailey Gate box is now well underway. I am assuming the rear of the box was planked, but were they vertical like Shillingstone or horizontal like Sturminster. Answers on a postcard.

More to come as its finished

From memory - think the rear may well have been horizontal planking.

The front and sides were. In Jeffrey Grayer's new hardback book:-

Sabotaged and Defeated Revisited

Imprint: Noodle Books

there is a post-closure colour photo of the front of Bailey Gate Signal Box (apologies

if you have already come across this).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

From memory - think the rear may well have been horizontal planking.

The front and sides were. In Jeffrey Grayer's new hardback book:-

Sabotaged and Defeated Revisited

Imprint: Noodle Books

there is a post-closure colour photo of the front of Bailey Gate Signal Box (apologies

if you have already come across this).

Thanks for the suggestion on the rear, which I think sounds logical based on the rest of the construction, and for the suggestion on Jeff's book, it has probably the best photo of the front of the box and Tim Chapman's photo stream has the only view I have ever seen of the south end of the box.

• 1 month later...

G A Pryer's Vol 3 of Signal Box Diagrams shows Bailey Gate as a Type 1 Box.

with Stevens Frame @ 4 1/8" centres.

The Type 2 SDJR Box at Writhlington had 4 1/8" centres.

Edited by Andy Y
Image removed, copyright issue.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your reply, your right on Pryer, saying it was a type one box, but with Type 2 windows. I managed to get hold of a pictoral history of Southern signals which had a drawing of a type 2 box for the windows.

I have now got started on the drawing of Bailey Gate box, although it is put to one side while knocking out Templecombe shed and buildings and Mangotsfield juction.

Thanks for that partial on of Writhlington, is that one of your?

Kind regards

Duncan

• RMweb Gold

while knocking out Templecombe shed and buildings and Mangotsfield juction.

Thanks for that partial on of Writhlington, is that one of your?

Do you mean producing drawings of the above or actual models? ;)

The Writhlington box drawing looks to me like it's come from one of the 'Radstock Coal & Steam' volumes....

• RMweb Premium

Just producing drawings, when I got involved with helping with the new S&D trust website I wanted to develop the members area gallery to hold as much information as possible to help the modeller, and the biggest single gap in the archives are elevation drawings of the stations. They have got the re-building of Templecombe Upper, Branksome, Bournemouth West and some of Bridgewater and Everchreech, but beyond that there is not much.

I produced drawings of some of the buildings at Blandford which helped the Blandford museum and done drawings of the signal box and waiting shelter at Wincanton, the main building at Bailey Gate, the main building at Sturminster Newton- those already being on the S&D trust web site. I have nearly finished a set on Shillingstone, but wanted more info which I have only just found.

Still to be finished is the signal box at Bailey Gate - now I have a drawing of the window, Templecombe (I have done the side and end elevations of the main shed, long brick building, the shorter brick building beyond the Station Masters House, the front elevation of the three huts at the back of the yard and three elevations of the Gaurds mess hut. Stalbridge up side offices and station masters house had come to a stop trying to proove a doorway at the north end, which I have only just done. Then separatley are the drawings of Mangotsfield.

On the agenda to do as well are the goods shed, bridge 152a and b, the Station Masters house and gas works at Templecombe. The main building and goods shed at Wincanton, the signal box and water tower at Sturminster, signal box and offices at Stalbridge and to do Broadstone. The intention being all get on the S&D trust website.

Due to domestic circumstances at the moment a layout is sadly not possible, however I get great pleasure from the research, preparing the drawings (which sometimes have been re-drawn three or 4 times as more information comes up) and even the looking for photos I can count bricks on.

Kind regards

Duncan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I just knew someone would do a drawing after I had made the bloomin thing :cry:

post-7345-0-01189900-1312300506_thumb.jpg

post-7345-0-30342800-1312300500_thumb.jpg

Lovely model of the building, - still if you have not done the waiting shelter, signal box or small porters hut near the box I may still be able to help?

kind regards

Duncan

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

I know this is a little late, but having just discovered this thread I can add that I am also drawing up the structures at Sturminster.  Currently concluded the water tower and signal box.  Am working on the creamery area, and aiming to do the station buildings, bridges, and cutting retaining area.

Sturbox1 A3.pdf Sturtower1 A3.pdf

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Stuart, really nice drawings would love to see some others.

I cant find much information on Stur goods yard or the creamery, only a few shots with them in the background and then only partial.

Really nice work.

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...