Welcome to the Railways of the North West Group

Guest Tom F

Guest Tom F

Hi all

I set up this group originally with an aim of sharing, prototype info, photographs, and modelling work on the Railways that served the Fylde, Blackpool and Preston, but I then figured the group may be more helpful if it encompassed the North West in general.

My area of focus is as mentioned, the area of Blackpool-Preston with plans on a layout I aim to build showing the Excursion traffic that used to pass through on Summer Saturdays.

From Crewe to Carlisle, from Llandudno to Lancaster this group is aimed at the Northern Ex LMS area, in the 50s and 60s...which of course included all things Stanier ;)

Enjoy

Tom

Hi Tom,

Great idea for a group, I'm sure there are a lot of members who live or are affiliated with the North West, I hope this becomes a very active group. For my part, being an ex-Liverpudlian now living in Canada, any photos of the North West are appreciated.

Best regards,

Tom D

Guest Tom F

Hi Tom,

Great idea for a group, I'm sure there are a lot of members who live or are affiliated with the North West, I hope this becomes a very active group. For my part, being an ex-Liverpudlian now living in Canada, any photos of the North West are appreciated.

Best regards,

Tom D

Thanks Tom

Seemed like a good idea, lets see what happens :D

Tom

• RMweb Premium

From Crewe to Carlisle, from Llandudno to Lancaster this group is aimed at the Northern Ex LMS area, in the 50s and 60s...which of course included all things Stanier ;)

Enjoy

Tom

As I am originally from Storth (near Arnside) in South Cumbria, I feel somewhat left out wink.gif

As I am originally from Storth (near Arnside) in South Cumbria, I feel somewhat left out wink.gif

Couldn't agree more. I come from "east of Manchester" so would also suggest that "Liverpool to Leeds" be included in the description of the catchment area.

The famous Standedge route with heavy double headed Liverpool - Newcastle and Liverpool - Hull trains as a daily occurrence.

100% LNWR !!!!

gresley

Guest Tom F

Couldn't agree more. I come from "east of Manchester" so would also suggest that "Liverpool to Leeds" be included in the description of the catchment area.

The catchment area as you so mention that I wrote in the description was just meant to give a loose idea of the area starting two places with the same enitial letter....it wasn't a case I was trying to ignore other areas of the NW :unsure:

If you have an interest in railways in all of the North West...you are very welcome in this group :)

The catchment area as you so mention that I wrote in the description was just meant to give a loose idea of the area starting two places with the same enitial letter....it wasn't a case I was trying to ignore other areas of the NW :unsure:

If you have an interest in railways in all of the North West...you are very welcome in this group :)

Tom,

Wasn't trying to "out do you". Just pointing out a very important area to be included. My interests are not only LNWR, but also Midland and GC. All part of the North West scene. Indeed, we were very lucky to have such a wide ranging variety in a reasonably small area, (based on Manchester).

I lived within sight and sound of the Woodhead route, LNER, but within some 15 mins, I could be at the Standege route, LNWR, or the Peak main line route, Midland. Even the LNWR main line south was only some 25 mins away.

I worked at the C&W Dept at Dukinfield (ex GC) for a time but left before it was closed down. At the time, the new electric locos for Manchester - Sheffield were being fitted with their internal electrical gear in the next bay to us.

gresley

Guest Tom F

Tom,

Wasn't trying to "out do you". Just pointing out a very important area to be included. My interests are not only LNWR, but also Midland and GC. All part of the North West scene. Indeed, we were very lucky to have such a wide ranging variety in a reasonably small area, (based on Manchester).

I lived within sight and sound of the Woodhead route, LNER, but within some 15 mins, I could be at the Standege route, LNWR, or the Peak main line route, Midland. Even the LNWR main line south was only some 25 mins away.

I worked at the C&W Dept at Dukinfield (ex GC) for a time but left before it was closed down. At the time, the new electric locos for Manchester - Sheffield were being fitted with their internal electrical gear in the next bay to us.

gresley

Very interesting gresley :) as you describe it, it's very fascinating....and living by the Woodhead route too! :)

Love to hear more about the Manchester area, feel free to set up a thread :)

Tom

• 1 month later...

Although I don't model SG I thought I'd join as my early spotting days were on the mainline near Farington '65-'70... Holed up in an old coal bunker right next to the Up Slow below the Croston Road bridge... As well as sneaking round Lostock Hall from time to time and clambering over the scrap siding locos...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi All,

This is my first post to RMweb and I hope this is an appropriate place to ask, back in the eightys I saw an N gauge layout of Blackburn, I was wondering if it still existed and if anyone knew where it is now?

Regards,

Tony.

This is my first post to RMweb and I hope this is an appropriate place to ask, back in the eightys I saw an N gauge layout of Blackburn, I was wondering if it still existed and if anyone knew where it is now?

Hi Tony, welcome to RMWeb.

Yo u have managed to awaken a long dead topic which was last posted to almost exactly 3 years ago and even then seemed to have few contributors and even the OP has vacated the scene.

I'm not from up-that-a-way but hope you have more success in finding others among the ghosts on here though judging by this topic I would not hold out much hope :D So perhaps this wasn't an appropriate place.

You might like to report this post and ask one of the Mods to kindly move your post to a new topic in the New Member's Introduction Forum.

Archived