Behind the Fence

Chris Heighton

So I had this idea rolling around in my brain for a while; when I sold off my "OO" stuff a few years ago to start work in "O", I kept back a few choice models as keepsakes, the idea being to build a small layout in 4mm to practice my scenery skills on. The idea ran that a small PWay yard would be in the foreground, with a single track passenger shuttle running behind, set in the early 1990s. A quick "fag packet" sketch worked out the basic details:

post-11803-0-88959200-1306346737_thumb.jpg

There would be a short, detachable spur at each end to accommodate a sprinter shuttle and storage area for the yard, so that the diorama could be made operational. If nothing else, it makes a nice change from 1950s "O" gauge steam freight!

-Chris

I have manged to rough out the trackwork on a piece of chipboard cut to the right size - I'm amazed that it all still works after years in store!

post-11803-0-23634700-1306765474_thumb.jpg

Just building the main baseboard now, and printing off some of Scale Scenes' buildings for the scenery. Once that is underway, I'll post some more shots.

-Chris.

OK, so I'm plodding on in the odd hour i can find between work, sleep and moderating online computer games, and have manged to build the baseboard and crack on with a few pieces of scenery. The baseboard is 6mm MDF supported on a frame of 25*38mm planed pine (Both from the bargain bin at the local DIY store); it's been a few years since I last performed any woodwork so go easy on the joints, and try to ignore any suspect red stains! the retaining wall and shed are Scalescenes' products, lightly modified to fit into the available space, and posed to give an idea of the layout (both are as yet incomplete). Trackwork is temporarily posed, and not yet fixed.

post-11803-0-97839000-1307215766_thumb.jpg

A rustle through my old bits boxes has revealed a plethora of old scenic items I never got around to building or detailing, which gives me an excuse to use some new materials and techniques I have never used before, such as Deluxe Materials' Glue 'n' Glaze. If nothing else, this challenge has given me a bit of a chance to experiment and practice.

(also, apologies for the hairy knee in shot - I didn't want to lay claim to it, but who else would it be?!)

-Chris.

Thanks for the comment, Hugh.

Believe it or not, in all these years this is my first attempt at a "proper" model railway: I usually get no further that nailing a few bits of track to a board then spend the next three years happily shunting around imaginary scenery. Anyway, made a start on ballasting today, and figuring out exact dimensions for the over bridge on the right-hand side (Where the coping is missing from the wall).

post-11803-0-59902600-1307385473_thumb.jpg

That's all for now. Back to kit bashing the retaining wall!

-Chris.

Another quick update: due to the size and shape of the depot kit i have had to shorten the are of hard-standing next to the shed because of the distance between the two running lines. I have also decided to make the back line (next to the retaining wall) derelict; this simplifies off-board track work and allows me to experiment with a few more detailing and weathering techniques.

post-11803-0-88901700-1307735622_thumb.jpg

At this point you can see the basic buildings coming together, as well as the line of the fence that will separate the yard from the old line. Once the section of retaining wall in the foreground is complete, i can build the over bridge that will provide the scenic break off the right hand side of the layout. I will then build some more hard-standing around the yard area, as well as add some Portakabin offices, a small fueling area and general detritus.

-Chris.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello RMweb.

I went into Newcastle today and bought a few bits 'n' bobs for the diorama; chiefly some road vehicles and Metcalfe paving slabs (Always wanted to use them!). I am now in a situation where I can finish the ballasting and scratch-build the over-bridge.

post-11803-0-42046000-1308683635_thumb.jpg

I almost feel ashamed to weather the road vehicles, especially brand-new ones, but needs must and all that... Also I have decided to back-date the diorama a little to the mid-1980s (because I can!)

-Chris

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a little while since I posted an update, so here goes...

Progress is a little slow at the moment, what with work commitments and all, but I have managed to weather down some of the road vehicles and finish the ballasting. I have also scratch-built a plate girder bridge for the right hand side of the layout, based loosely on the old bridge 30 on the NYMR; I need to find a way to add some rivet detail, then paint it up and weather it down. After that, I can really crack on with the scenic work.

post-11803-0-31322700-1309889910_thumb.jpg

(Sorry for shaky-cam version, but my normal camera is out of action temporarily)

-Chris.

Still pottering on with this; it's coming together quite nicely now. The bridge has been painted and gently weathered, and I can now finish adding the parapet walls.

post-11803-0-40209500-1310493808_thumb.jpg

As you can see, I went to town with the Scenic Rust on the bridge, and have given everything a good distressing with various Tamiya Weathering Master colours: the idea is to try to recreate a run-down feeling for the non-railway areas.

More to follow when the scenery has improved a bit!

-Chris.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Still here!

I managed to squeeze in a few hours at Blyth & District MRS' Railex NE exhibition this weekend, and duly came back laden with all sorts of accessories and little detail parts to add some interest to the diorama. I'm currently waiting for the static grass to set off whilst the paint dries on a grampus so I can get it nice and rusty! Also I'm weathering down a few Bachmann Scenecraft buildings to add a little more detail to corners of the layout, and having a go at detailing some figures.

-Chris.

I took a little break from the main diorama today to try a new (for me) technique today. I had recently read an article about "dipping", whereby figures are dipped in dilute paint, then most of the excess wiped off with cotton buds etc. to highlight the details. I had some Preiser figures knocking around for a while, so after backdating them a little (painting over the HV trousers mainly, I gave it a shot.

These are the figures before they were dipped; they are already fairly high-quality to start with:

post-11803-0-39443800-1314822771_thumb.jpg

...and after a dipping, this was the result:

post-11803-0-73019000-1314822828_thumb.jpg

I'm pleased with the results, although I cleaned the right-hand figure a little too thoroughly and removed the paint on its legs, so I will have to redo it. Also on the left is an undipped figure as comparison. I think I will dip all the workmen on this layout to improve their detail, and add to the grubby feel of it!

-Chris.

I have been working on more scenic details this weekend; weathering buildings, painting figures, working out the final positions of items and so forth. Unfortunately, next week is a busy one for me so there will probably little progress to report.

Anyway, here are a few shots I took "from the lineside", so to speak, to give a feel for the setting:

post-11803-0-24994600-1315152040_thumb.jpg

A view from the entrance to the yard, next to the bike shed. I'm pleased at how the derelict Grampus turned out - a heavily weathered Parkside Dundas kit.

post-11803-0-41324100-1315152229_thumb.jpg

Form the same position, looking down the length of the yard towards the shed, with the disused line in the background.

post-11803-0-80927800-1315152242_thumb.jpg

A view from the bridge. From this vantage point, you can see the abandoned track quite well, all rusty and overgrown.

From now on it is really just a case of tinkering with scenic items, and maybe adding a removable fiddleyard board under the bridge

Well, it looks like I'm about ready to sign off on this one. I've added just about all the detail I feel I can without making the diorama feeling cramped or too crowded. I spent the morning attacking a Bachmann tamper unit with the faithful old weathering powders to take the shine off it a bit. Not much more to add really, so I'll let a few photos do the talking for a bit:

post-11803-0-26525000-1316357208_thumb.jpg

^An overview of the yard; the clapped-out old Bedford inspection vehicle breaks up the yard a bit. The flash on the camera doesn't do the shot ant favours, so in subsequent images i have disabled it.

post-11803-0-95470300-1316357220_thumb.jpg

^The shed end of the diorama. The figures bring a little life, and help draw the eye into the scene.

post-11803-0-55114500-1316357238_thumb.jpg

^Looking down the length of the yard, a workman clears up cones thrown over the bridge by the local scallies The abandoned line is to the right, behind the condemned "Grampus".

post-11803-0-83969800-1316357283_thumb.jpg

^Workmen make a start on digging up the pavement (well, one does, the other "supervises"); the old phone boxes are showing their age.

post-11803-0-94761800-1316357294_thumb.jpg

^New HV vest, standing idle: must be management! The Plasser & Theuer awaits its next trip out.

There is a bit of back-story and explanation to go with the diorama, but I'm still working out the finer points. I'll post it below when it's complete.

-Chris.

Archived