moorswater viaduct 2FS

bcnPete

• RMweb Gold

I tried very hard to overcome modellers block a few years ago, but it gets back at you in the end!

I took a complete break for a while, abandoning old projects and ideas completely. I found other things to do for a while. Almost 2 years later, the appetite returned and I took a completely fresh start. Now, I am enjoying modelling far more than I have done for a very long time and I now have a far more objective view of what I would like to achieve or can achieve in reality.

Model railways is a hobby and we are supposed to do it because we enjoy it, not because we feel under pressure to do so from friends. Find another hobby, another scale or at least something that takes you away from what you are doing for a while. If it worked in a desperate case like mine, it should work for you too.:rolleyes:

WC (sorry about the initals...I can't find your name anywhere!)

Thanks for this - I guess my last break from the hobby lasted 20 years...so am a bit nervous to totally disconnect again :blink: I am also dabbling in 4mm for my sons and in 7mm for the future (I will always be a diehard 2FS fan though) so I do have a few other distractions...but I think its just a momentary lapse.

Pete... glad to see that you're ok and that if we were able to help in any way, then that's great - this is, after all, something that this forum of Andy's is so useful for... and that makes it so important for the continuation and growth of this "hobby". Glad you're back on the road again.. and I'll be watching for updated. I too went back to my list tonight and completed two other jobs on my Nimbus... time to face the airbrush begins to loom :huh:

Jon

Thanks also - Agreed...nothing like a bit of 'model railway tlc' to fire us back up :D

Ver el espacio :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Here we go then....

Could be a number of things that have got me fired up again, but I suspect seeing all those photos, the video and reading all the comments regarding the Members day help loosen the modellers constipation block I was having...

The viaduct mock up from before was pretty crude and whilst serving its purpose, it really needed a new drawing. This was also necessary as I dropped our external hard drive on the floor last week (containing the original viaduct drawing I did plus about 10 years of family/work stuff ) and its basically irretrievable :angry:

I use Microstation for work so I reset up the drawing using basic dimensions scaled/proportioned from photos.

I guess one of the dilemmas I was having was how to do the stonework as its pretty unique to Moorswater viaduct. I decided on using Slaters random stone plastic sheeting for the majority of the stone and all the large blocks will be cut to suit :O I chose this route as there is not an exact match of the stone for the viaduct available and for me, if I can capture the feel of the viaduct and it is recognisable as Moorswater, then I will be happy.

The main decision taken was to represent the cuts in the stonework around the arch as this is contrasted against the other stone - getting stone courses to line up here would be very difficult to achieve I feel but a representation of the overall detailing would be better. The drawing included setting out this information and I then printed a few paper templates to work from.

The template was first trimmed to the profile and then spray mounted onto the reverse of the plastic stone sheet as this was deemed easier to cut on the flatter rather than the profiled side. This will be applied next and trimmed at the ends accordingly. Then I remade the support sides which will include a space for the 'inserts' to display some rolling stock.

Next I will form the curved profiles under the arches in card as a base and then set about starting on the stone detailing :blink: The legs will be remade to include the taper to them and the stone sheet/blocks will be applied using the same method.

A few photos of progress...nice to be back...hopefully this time for longer....:D

post-3290-0-22908100-1309904393_thumb.jpg

Basic drawing produced to help set out stonework...

post-3290-0-95011700-1309904401_thumb.jpg

The cut stonework was then cut to provide a template...

post-3290-0-41530300-1309904424_thumb.jpg

Forming this...

post-3290-0-38950300-1309904433_thumb.jpg

These will be attached...inserts prepared for rolling stock displays...

post-3290-0-79805100-1309904467_thumb.jpg

Will be something like this...

post-3290-0-66188800-1309904480_thumb.jpg

New base structure awaiting stone first fix...had to get that new Dapol 125 in somewhere!...

Nice job Pete.

I noticed in the latest MRJ that two of the articles both seem to be about big buildings done using custom laser cutting by the same company. I'm not sure at the moment whether I think this is cheating. You seem to be producing good results with the traditional approach.

How long did it take you to cut around those stones?

• RMweb Gold

Do I sense a 'Ron Heggs' style epic starting here ?

That's a stunning model already, AND it's in 2mm !!

Welcome back !

Stu - Many thanks indeed...not sure it will be up there with Rons stuff though...especially given less than 3 months left... :O

Wow! That is awesome! How do you manage to cut the plastic so accurately? Mine always goes off wonky... or as we call it here in Shake City.. "Munted"

Thanks...it's not that great on close up...hence my cunning photographs ;) However, I always had trouble cutting a straight line on that profiled plastic sheeting when I was making the clay dries building so turning it over and cutting from the reverse (flatter side) seems to help... a new SM 10A blade regularly helps too...

I noticed in the latest MRJ that two of the articles both seem to be about big buildings done using custom laser cutting by the same company. I'm not sure at the moment whether I think this is cheating. You seem to be producing good results with the traditional approach.

How long did it take you to cut around those stones?

Andy - Thanks also - Interesting point that one. During my time out of recent, much thinking of the stonework occurred and I did wonder whether I should go the laser cut route, but for speed I thought best to get on with it the old fashioned way...and I must admit I am enjoying it. To answer your question, not that long actually...about an hour all told and that included cutting around the stones on the paper template first. It's the individual ones that are going to be more fun :wacko:

Another WOW from me. The stonework is intricate and accurate - especially for 2mm. Glad to see things going again. Can't wait to see this coming together as a whole.

Mike - Thanks again...your comments the other week helped get my focus back on the project.

Echoing the other comments, I think that looks incredible - really precise architectural work and with the vertical diorama it'll be a very dramatic scene.

Will - Thanks also - whilst most other entries are understandably maximising on the 20" length for the horizontal I really needed it for the height...so when I converted all the inches to millimeters I was relieved that my extract just snuck inside :D

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic work Pete. This shows the beauty of the micro layout/ diorama. Cutting out that small section of viaduct is a reasonable chunk of work and you see some results quickly. Will this fit into Moorswater it will look great contrasting with the dries.

I hav never thought of cutting the embosed sheet from the rear makes sense though. Are the stones for the arch faced ( i.e cut flat) or will they need to be embosed.

Glad to see you back. My problem is not loss of mojo bu lack of opportunity just too much disrtuption with the building work.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Good to see that you are making progress again Pete.

Thanks Kris...its good to be back...

Fantastic work Pete. This shows the beauty of the micro layout/ diorama. Cutting out that small section of viaduct is a reasonable chunk of work and you see some results quickly. Will this fit into Moorswater it will look great contrasting with the dries.

I hav never thought of cutting the embosed sheet from the rear makes sense though. Are the stones for the arch faced ( i.e cut flat) or will they need to be embosed.

Glad to see you back. My problem is not loss of mojo bu lack of opportunity just too much disrtuption with the building work.

Don, hi - Thanks also. The idea is to make the viaduct a loose fit and then bed it in the layout at a later date.

The stones around the arch are pretty textured...so I will probably use a slightly thicker piece of plain plasticard to represent them. All the detailed worked stonework is colour differently so I am hoping it will help it contrast against the other stone once painted.

I guess you know when the mojo has returned as I can't wait to work on it again...Thursday night is the earliest opportunity. Hope the building work is progressing well.

• RMweb Premium

For the stones around the arch would it be worth using a thin (easier to cut) but of plasticard but putting a layer of paper behind this to just bring it out the fraction that it needs?

• RMweb Gold

For the stones around the arch would it be worth using a thin (easier to cut) but of plasticard but putting a layer of paper behind this to just bring it out the fraction that it needs?

Kris - I like your thinking :yes: Thanks - I especially don't want to repeat any sagas had cladding the dries building. I am planning to do something similar along the top edge where the viaduct steps out a few courses...

There's little need for me to add anything here Pete, the contributions above are from far more experienced modellers than myself... but all the same, I think it's looking great. It's good to see that you're back into the swing of things... and that the plan is developing. I also hope that you're able to recover the data from your hard drive - as this can be very frustrating; we are all so dependent on this didgital storage media and one "drop" or perhaps one neutron (solar particle) can really ruin your day. I presume there will be multiple back-ups from now one.

• RMweb Gold

Jon / Tom,

Thanks for your comments and continued interest with the project...it's nice to get going again....despite the draw of warmer temps :sungum:

In terms of computer related equipment this is the second loss of info I have had...and do we learn ever :rolleyes: For me, it's a bit like stuff buried in the cellar/loft...if you can't remember exactly what it was...it won't be missed....whispered as my wife is zero points impressed with me at the mo

Glad to see you back up and running Pete.

It must have been a bit nerve-racking when you were cutting the very apex of the arch - I see the structure is only one stone-course deep at that point: pretty fragile! :blink:

I'm really looking forward to seeing the viaduct take shape, it's going to be a most distinguishing feature for your layout :yes:

Hi Pete.

As the others have said that is fantastic work you have done there. Thank you for sharing the way you cut the plastic sheet out and its a method I will definately be thinking about in the future. I have said it before but the quality of your modelling is amazing.

Missy :yes:

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all for your kind comments...really helps keep the enthusiasm topped up :imsohappy:

Glad to see you back up and running Pete.

It must have been a bit nerve-racking when you were cutting the very apex of the arch - I see the structure is only one stone-course deep at that point: pretty fragile! :blink:

I'm really looking forward to seeing the viaduct take shape, it's going to be a most distinguishing feature for your layout :yes:

Many thanks Mark - wasn't as bad as it looks as realising it would be a weak point I cut the arch whilst the sheet was oversized...and then trimmed off the top afterwards....if that makes sense? It's the last biggest structure for the layout...and I have been looking forward to it...and dreading it simultaneously!

Glad to see your back in the saddle Pete and when I first looked at this I thought it was laser cut..:drinks: amazing work. Look forward to more progress.

Tom - Thanks also - Your too kind...must admit, I had a cold beer after I had cut it, rather than during...its my new detox modelling :P

As the others have said that is fantastic work you have done there. Thank you for sharing the way you cut the plastic sheet out and its a method I will definately be thinking about in the future. I have said it before but the quality of your modelling is amazing.

Missy, hi and many thanks also. I think it was an accumulation of seeing all your recent inspirational modelling and a bit of frustration of not being able to attend the recent fantastic members day event that got me started again - The internet, and particularly this forum remains my main link with the hobby so the increased profile of 2FS on here is all helping with that.

Hi Pete,

Looks like your mojo is back, and the stonework is looking good. I find Rmweb keeps me inspired it's great when people comment on your work. I recently did a stone wall using DAS and half way along I began to to lose interest, I went and did something else for a few nights then went back to it and finished it off.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

I find Rmweb keeps me inspired it's great when people comment on your work.

Peter, hi - Thanks - You're right...and in the same token, that's why its good to offer comments to others blogs/topics - it works both ways, when we are on a high or sometimes a low...or is that just me? :rolleyes:

Peter, hi - Thanks - You're right...and in the same token, that's why its good to offer comments to others blogs/topics - it works both ways, when we are a high or sometimes a low...or is that just me? :rolleyes:

No Pete... it's not just you. This forum is a very valuable resource that I'm sure it will be responsible for many many people coming back to the hobby (as it did for me) and preventing others from giving up. Long may it continue... long may we alll keep each other going. But please, please, have a break and enjoy the warm weather in Barca.B)

• RMweb Gold

But please, please, have a break and enjoy the warm weather in Barca.B)

Thanks Jon...Don't worry......that's also being addressed 8)

typo now corrected on your name Jon

• RMweb Gold

whilst the cats away, the As my two boys are now in France on vacation with the outlaws and my wife is due back later this evening, during the 48hr quiet period, I have snuck in a bit more modelling time :yes:

Firstly, the overhang/parapet which steps out by 4 or 5 courses. There are small balconies provided on the centre lines of the columns to allow (I am guessing) maintenance crew to stand clear of passing rolling stock. These I will build insitu as there are 4 but first I have stepped out the stonework, for ease, in a continuos line. To achieve the subtle effect I have cut a slither of 10 thou plasticard and then using the method described previously, I have cut from reverse slithers of stonework. Each one has been stepped out by a 10 thou slither to just give some relief...as in this scale it could look overcooked. The slithers are perhaps just over one course of stone in width, but as I said before, I am going for the overall effect so I hope with paint it will work ok.

Secondly, the trackwork. I wanted to break with my usual norm and spent a little more time on trying to get the track looking better. For the running lines I have hand painted Railmatch sleeper grime and this was done by first securing the sleepers which will be ballasted prior to threading the rail. I have also painted the rails sleeper grime, but being water based, when I test threaded them through...it stripped the paint off :angry: so I will retouch up after ballasting. For the single freight only line below the viaduct, I wanted more an impression of reduced use trackwork. The sleepers have received sleeper grime and then the chairs picked out using Railmatch dark rust. The rail has also been painted dark rust and test threaded, and I liked the contrast...prior to more stripping :lol: I will ballast both tracks using grey ballast...when I feel the urge to do this.

Thirdly, I have produced the artwork for the stonework for the columns. I have taken the same approach, in that I will cut the template out, attach and then cut through the plastic stone sheet from reverse. This will allow completion of the basic stonework and then I can turn my attention to individually cutting out the decorative stones :blink:

A few photos of progress...am really enjoying this project again now...

post-3290-0-23261100-1310228333_thumb.jpg

First removable base adjacent to viaduct...

post-3290-0-69528500-1310228341_thumb.jpg

The sleepers have been pre glued and then painted sleeper grime...

post-3290-0-71825800-1310228349_thumb.jpg

Not very photogenic, but the top parapet showing the overlaps...

post-3290-0-45594300-1310228357_thumb.jpg

Lower track has sleeper grime and dark rust for the chairs...

post-3290-0-37511500-1310228364_thumb.jpg

Templates for the legs...

post-3290-0-57144300-1310228371_thumb.jpg

Overall shot of work in progress...I couldn't resist holding the two together after to imagine increasing the viaduct length ;)

Archived