What area of the North West interests you?

Guest Tom F

• RMweb Premium

Going OT, but in modern times, Blackburn, with Wigan, Bolton, North Manchester triangle a close second.

Blackburn has the mundane East Lancs line to Colne, trans-pennine services to/from Blackpool, Manchester bound DMU's. Steam specials, railtours and diverted WCMl services. Freight via the S&C and Copy Pit. Odd freight workings to/from Gilbraith Transtore at Blackburn.

Northern/Virgin/EWS(DBS)/Freighliner/Colas/DRS/GBRf/WCRC and others.

Cheers,

Mick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I am new to all this, as I come from Radcliffe, Manchester that would be my interest, it used to have a large railway system, but unfortunatly it had mostly gone by the time I arrived in the area.

For me it has to be the East Lancashire Railway (original and preserved) but then again we did go one step further and Model Ramsbottom in the good old days

http://www.ramsbottommrc.org.uk

Its the old industrial towns that do it for me

Before I moved to this area, I was well exposed to (& fond of), the S&C but since moving in, as it were,

my main focus has been the former GC line from the CLC to Wigan & St. Helens (with it's branch at my local station, Lowton St. Mary's) also,

The former Furness and Maryport & Carlisle lines on and around the Cumbrian coast.

These largely overlooked lines had some fantastic views that IMHO equalled the GW main lines in Devon and Cornwall and yet, how often do you see them modelled by comparison?

Plus another vote for Manchester itself, what a melting pot!

Cheers,

John E.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Before I moved to this area, I was well exposed to (& fond of), the S&C but since moving in, as it were,

my main focus has been the former GC line from the CLC to Wigan & St. Helens (with it's branch at my local station, Lowton St. Mary's)

There was an extension planned out to Fazakerley Jncs at one point was there not from St Helens Central?

• 2 weeks later...

There was an extension planned out to Fazakerley Jncs at one point was there not from St Helens Central?

Yes, but it was dropped at a fairly early stage. Probably because local subscriptions to the branch were disappointing and the GC was pouring all the money it didn't have into the London Branch. (See also MS&L extension to Blackpool, version1.)

• 2 weeks later...

It was only when I started looking seriously for a prototype location on the WCML which would make an interesting but not overly huge model that I happened upon a book called "West Coast Steam" by Antony Darnborough and lo and behold, the ideal spot jumped off the page at me. Up till then I don't think I had ever heard of Hest Bank, but there was this small station with a junction and situated on the WCML, giving the opportunity to run lots of big stuff and very busy to boot.

15 years and 2 house moves later the layout is now in a dedicated shed in a remote valley in mid Wales hidden behind our cottage. There is much work yet to do, but everything runs and there is bags of scope for much variety from pick-up freight to 14 coach expresses. Stock is a variety of scratch, kit and RTR. A big thank you to RTR makers who have given us so much scope of late.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for the Manchester area from me. I've always had a soft spot for Manchester Victoria (pre-the MEN Arena) as I spent many hours there in the late 80s and early 90s, but my modelling interests are firmly the Midland, GC and CLC lines out of Manchester Central. I model the early post-Nationalisation period (1950-ish) so that one day I can model some of the last GCR 4-6-0s and in principle the CLC Clauds too!

Simon

Manchester termini and their routes to surrounding towns, particularly Victoria to Rochdale, Bury and Oldham.

i wonder if either of you would be interested in a full track diagram from oddsall lane to miles platting bank circa 1923? that i aquired whilst working at miles platting box ?

it shows most of the signaling but un numbered im affraid runs to about six a4 sheets if i can find it ?

• RMweb Gold

i wonder if either of you would be interested in a full track diagram from oddsall lane to miles platting bank circa 1923? that i aquired whilst working at miles platting box ?

it shows most of the signaling but un numbered im affraid runs to about six a4 sheets if i can find it ?

I certainly would be

Could I add a 'me too' Please.

• 1 month later...

Being Wigan born & bred (still live here) I must say all the Wigan area railways interest me, especially around Springs Branch / Ince Moss in steam days as I spent so much time there in my youth. I'm making a layout based on the Manchester Rd - Belle Green Lane area of the Springs Branch - all mucky & run down / derelict collieries / scrap yards / wagon works / steel works back in the 50's.

I find all the North West railways interesting, more so in that I have a large library of Foxlines "Scenes from the past" books, and virtually all the books printed with Wigan railway content. I especially like the "backwater railways" - Bolton Gt Moor St branches, Widnes - St Helens, Wigan Central - Glazebrook etc. The once extensive colliery & industial railway systems also are of interest, many were complete railways in their own right.

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

Yes please peanuts. Sorry I'd completely missed your post.

Simon

• 1 month later...

Well, I suppose that since Granddad was a driver out of Newton Heath shed, I should be a Manchester fan, too. Not the case, however. I prefer the area around Skipton, Earby, Barnoldswick, and that area. West Yorkshire is where I was born and where I want to model.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Very definitely the lines around Blackburn to Colne, Skipton and Leeds in one direction with Preston and Blackpool in the other for the simple reason that I was born right in the middle of it. My nephew and myself spent countless hours sitting on the wall at Islington (just west of Blackburn station) watching everything from 4F's, Crabs and WD's on goods to Holbeck and Blackpool 'Jubilee's on secondary express workings, along with the ubiquitous Stanier and Fairburn 2-6-4T's on local work. On rainy days we would retire to his bedroom on Craig Street which overlooked the coal yard to the Preston line and the junction to Manchester via Sough Tunnel. I also travelled on many of the excursion trains as depicted by Stuart Taylor in his excellent books (a great source of inspiration for modellers!). Even at school (St. Lukes) we had Crook St coal sidings at the end of the playground, 4F 44460 with it's 'home-built' tender cab being a regular. It probably explains why Crab's and WD's are my favourite loco's because I've probably been hauled by most of the areas allocation at one time or another!

• 3 months later...

.............. I prefer the area around Skipton, Earby, Barnoldswick, and that area......................

Steve

Or indeed any route from the North West - and preferably eastwards...........OK I'm outta here; know I've overstayed mi welcome. :devil:

• 1 month later...

Mine is a small area really, roughly the triangle formed by Manchester, Warrington and Wigan, I live on the south edge of the triangle. I got some strange looks when I was 'exploring' round Wigan a couple of years ago. Stood at the side of a field with a flapping OS Map in one hand and a book in the other and camera round my neck hahaha. I've talked to a few younger people around there who have no idea of Wigans industrial history, it's a shame. I can feel a railway walk coming on.

• RMweb Premium

As the son of a Sand-Grown-Un who's lived in Leyland for over 40 years, I claim my right to be sand grown.

The happiest days of my childhood was 200 yards from Ansdell and Fairhaven and even less from the sea. So if you take a pair of compasses and draw circles around the Fairhaven Hotel (Boddingtons) you've got it!

That includes anywhere my 1960's railway runabout ticket took me. Up to Carlisle, down to Skipton, up the S&C all round the Lakes including Cockermouth an Keswick, but sadly nowhere south of Preston.

Although it does not represent the area Colin Peake's Shifting Sands takes me right back to my childhood when there was a miniature railway in St Annes.

I was tempted to say everywhere the Metrovics went. My Olivia's Trains sound Hattons model takes me right back. I never had a failure, you know.

Roger

Ps saw 9 Brits in my week in 1967

Bolton Trinity Street for me from the early 80s onwards followed by the ELR when it reopened. I also have a fascination with the old Bolton Great Moor Street station. I'm currently researching as much as I can of it to hopefully one day build a leyout based on it surviving into the present day. If anyone has any info or pictures I'd much appreciate the help,

Archived